Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
kristop64089

How many times have you dropped your bike?

137 posts in this topic Last Reply

Gary M

I have dropped mine three times so far. The first time was in 2007 after riding over the Big Horn Mts. in a snow storm. We madie it safely through the snow and when we got to the town of Lovell Wy. It was raining like crazy. It was about 11:00 p.m. We were on our way to Powell Wy. I missed a turn and found a gravel spot to turn around. When we entered the gravel to make a left turn, down we went.

The next time was on the same trip but about a week later. We were in Estes Park Co. We had visited the town and were on our way to Denver. I pulled up to a stop light. I had a right turn green arrow. I was leaning into the right turn when my wife started yelling red light, red light. I hit the brakes but couldn't hold the weight of the bike, my wife and our luggage. I still had the turn arrow but the bike was on the pavement. We got off, picked the bike up, acted as thought nothing happened and were on our way.

The third time was while crossing the Beartooth Pass in Wyoming. We stopped by this alpine lake for some photos and some video. The wife stayed on the Wing. I asked her to lean forward so I could get access to the trunk. I must not of had the side stand down properly because down it went with my wife and all.

I hope I never drop it again but if I do I hope it will never be any worse than these situations.

Gary M.

Nightwizard40

Yep, twice with my 1100, none when I had my 1200, and not yet with my 1500:whistle:, but I ain't ready to stop riding yet either:yes: so........................we'll see!

AspectOne

I have dropped em, once in my own garage. It happens, don't feel bad about it. We can't all be perfect.

QDaddy

Listen to all the stories! Truth is there really are only 2 kinds. But they are 1-those who admit it, and 2-those who don't. We all tip them over periodically for a brief rest period. These are long-service life machines. they gotta rest sometime.

Joep

Did mine again only on the street near work a couple of days after the last bit of snow we had.. swinging into the left turn lane and hit the ridge of gravel from de-icing the intersection.. bike was in neutral and just went down.. I was alone on it.. had a lad from the opposite direction stop and help pick it up... happened at midnight 30....

Joep

Hmmmm seems the post button has a minor glitch... I must have double tapped it jsut before it posted..

dwsonar

I haven't dropped the wing yet. Years ago I bought a brand new 750 Honda. One week later, I pulled up to a stop sign, and just forgot to put my feet down. Not sure which beer caused the problem, but probably not one of the first 10. I'm glad I lived through those days of stupidity. Still stupid, just safer.

Cactus_Jack

darn it Dave that makes me think of the guy on laugh-in with the trike :funny::funny::funny::funny:

Cactus_Jack

[user=511]Cactus_Jack[/user] wrote:

The wing 0 times, the Shadow once lets just say dead stop right turn through a mud puddle with a bunch of gravel in it and being pissed off at the light that hadn't changed for 5 minutes is not a good combination. On that point if the rpms start going up like they should and the bike isn't picking up speed like it should, you may be in trouble soon.

Well we can now make that "The wing 1 time" :tap:

Pulled up to work the other day kicked the kickstand down and evidently didn't get it past the break over point and it went back up. There I was leaning the bike over thinking "it should be on the kickstand by now.... oh poopy :surprised:" So I helped it down the rest of the way felt stupid standing there over it.

On a side note I dropped mine Monday last week, my supervisor dropped his BMW that Tuesday (asphalt gave out, bike toppled over on his leg because he was about halfway off when it went) and a co-worker dropped his that Thursday :looking:

AspectTwo

Happens to everyone Jack at some point....:doh: I think Chris only "laid down" 1500 once in a bad, tight, slow turn. That's what he tells me. Thank goodness tho' cause the 1100 was hard enough to pick up when we slid it down in the garage on a slick spot!! Came down on my calf when I tried to jump off, so I was trapped. Chris has a special spot in his back muscles from pulling it back up to let me out....then we pushed her up the rest of the way. How good is that?? Great long ride in the mountains, back home safe around midnight, then dump the bike in the garage....:baffled::doh:

Tattoo Taffy

once around 30 years ago.....the wing?......never

McTavish

I haven't dropped the wing yet, however the guy I ride with drops his occasionally. He has learned how to pick it up alone. :hulk: Before that I would always be there to help, after pictures of course. :clap:

kristop64089

I found what my problem was with the wing. I occasional in a LO-SPEED turn(like driveway) I'd jerk my front brake, with the bars cranked, and down she goes.

The other problem I had was, I was used to my other(read lighter) bikes, and I just didn't respect the wing enough.

I have not dropped it this season...YET!

Hodgy

Have dropped other bikes but not the Wing. When I first got the wing I wondered if I could pick it up if dropped. So I put down some plywood and leaned it over on the engine guards with help from my Son.

Well I got it up by myself with the back to the bike lift. Don't want to do that again, but at least I can, for now.

I saw a Wing go over once in a parking lot. Slow motion as the side stand slowly sunk into the hot asphalt. There was a group of guys around that caught it just as the engine guard hit the pavement.

Geezerglider

[user=962]dwsonar[/user] wrote:

I haven't dropped the wing yet. Years ago I bought a brand new 750 Honda. One week later, I pulled up to a stop sign, and just forgot to put my feet down. Not sure which beer caused the problem, but probably not one of the first 10. I'm glad I lived through those days of stupidity. Still stupid, just safer.

A man I used to work with told me that back in the 40's/50's he rode with one of my uncles that was bad to drink and ride. He said he would do real good until he stopped. :eyeroll:

Joep

the best thing best thing about my floor boards is that the wing when it tips over they hold the bike up enough to get a hold of it.. not onto the side...

cooldadof4

OK. I am now an official member of the Dropped My Wing Club.

Yesterday, was heading through the toll booth and my EZ tag didn't fully trigger the gate arm. It started up, and then came down as I was going through. The arm hit my windshield and I think I grabbed a little to much front brake. Then the slow motion tip began. Once past center of gravity you are TOAST.

It rested comfortably on the engine guard with no damage except my pride.

At 148 pounds, I didn't know if I would be able to pick her up. Thankfully, I had read a couple of posts on how to do it, and managed to do so myself on the second attempt.

Lesson learned.:rage:

Regards,

Don

AspectOne

Welcome to our little club bro

Devans

Im not a member...YET. But Im sure my day will come. :yes:

AspectOne

[user=1]Devans[/user] wrote:

Yea your day will probably during that hangover you gonna have after my bloody mary's there cupcake :funny:LOL

Light weight!:rofl:

vtxcandyred
I dropped my X the first year I had it. Not a fun story BUT a bud of mine was on his way home with his wife on board. They had just left our house and were on their way home. We had been playing some cards and had a few left handed cigarettes and a few beers. They had pulled up to a light and dropped it, right there. He forgot to put his feet down. When they came over the next week end and told us the story, all I could do was look at him and ask "were you stoned, or stupid? Funny as all get out. Fortunately there were no cops around. This was close to thirty years ago and the attitude was different.

Devans

[user=1316]AspectOne[/user] wrote:

[user=1]Devans[/user] wrote:

Light weight!:rofl:

Amen to that...:rofl: Probably 3 of them and Ill be 3 sheets to the wind. :yes:

Whacker

Saw this post some time ago, just trying to avoid admitting I belong to the club, time to come clean.:CRY:

At a local gas station, was going to check the air in the tires before heading out, put the bike on the side stand and found the front stem was in that hidden area under the fender/rotor covers. Rolled the bike forward to expose the stem, didn't realize I displaced the side stand, set it back onto the stan and over she went! I was embarrassed and pissed, not only did I drop the bike, but my new helmet also hit the ground!:rage: Didn't even mess with the "proper" way to pick up the wing, just stood it up:baffled:

DigbyODell

I would like to welcome everyone to the club..

It is not if you join, but when :wave:

Joep

not so proud member of I been there, done that club!!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,