Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
kristop64089

How many times have you dropped your bike?

137 posts in this topic Last Reply

maverick_racer

I gently laid mine down once when I stopped at a corner. Wife was on back. It just started to lean and I wasn't able to stop it. Not even a scratch. Not sure it counts since no one was watching. :baffled:

On a wilder note. at the drag races the other day, a guy I know put his bike down at 150+ MPH. Walked away with a little road rash on his left arm. :CRAZY:

deejay

I musta been at the same gas station in Tx as Mike, laid mine over also with wife on back in front of all to see, my fault for trying to drive to another pump with helmet in lap. It fell and as I was reaching for it the bike laid over....oh well live & learn. :banana:no harm done.

thecruiser

Dropped MY bike... :doh:

NO NO NO

Who said I dropped my bike?:CRY:

I thought no one saw....:scared:

Joep

I have dropped mine twice in the driveway.. gravel driveway and downhill slant.. once with wife and once without.. sure doo like my markland floorboards.. kept the bike from sideways flat both times.. and once I hit the gear shift lever while getting on after it was running.. it rolled off the side stand and again.. the marklands kept it from down over..

Jeff

I haven't dropped this one yet.

I got off my 1100 Interstate one time without putting the kickstand down. I had been sitting on it and talking to a friend of mine in his driveway. After a while, he asked me inside. I just got off and down she went.

da_bull

650 V-star - never

1100 V-star - once lost my footing in gravel at work, set 'er down nice and easy on the engine guard.

1200 GW - never

1500 GW - once for sure so far, tossed my wife in the backyard, grabbed to much front brake while wheel turned in the grass.

88 WINGer

Just after I got the old girl (bike...not wife) I was in that morning rush mode. Pulled the bike out of the garage - where there happens to be a little down hill slope to let her warm up while I closed the door. Two steps away and down she went all by herself, rolled off the side stand. Helmet went rolling too. The bank angle sensor shut it off so you could hear the crash perfectly. Awful sound. Picked it up and put her back into the garage and took the truck. Seemed like a bad omen.

Does that count as a drop if I wasn't on it??:ponder:

lucky_x16

Vulcan Never laid down.

The Goldwing. The PO said he took care of that for me by dropping it twice. I have laid it down to see how hard it would be to pick up. On hot black top, I have caught it as it leaned on the center stand.

Rudy

2x here.

Once when 'someone' left a plastic garden wheel barrow in my normal tight 180* landing curve track, coming into the garage.

The other was last July when I was letting the wife get on and though I had the stand down. Had been off of it 6 weeks. 5 minutes earlier a riding buddy backed his VX 1300 off the concrete slab and into the dog fence next door and pinned himself at the same time. Was a good morning all around that day.

Now lets talk about embarrassing kill switch events...

kristop64089

[user=5]Rudy[/user] wrote:

2x here.

Once when 'someone' left a plastic garden wheel barrow in my normal tight 180* landing curve track, coming into the garage.

The other was last July when I was letting the wife get on and though I had the stand down. Had been off of it 6 weeks. 5 minutes earlier a riding buddy backed his VX 1300 off the concrete slab and into the dog fence next door and pinned himself at the same time. Was a good morning all around that day.

Now lets talk about embarrassing kill switch events...

Yeah let's!

First time I had the wife with me on the GL1100, I had flipped the "cruise control"(IE throttle lock) off, when I did, I inadvertently hit the kill switch.

Well, we were on I35, and I started to get PISSED(I have really bad luck), I about called up AmFam, when I realized the error of my ways...Really embarasing situation diverted, and I was only out of 15 minutes of GOOD riding time.:whistle:

da_bull

I've never forgotten the kill switch...

this year...

more than twice...

a week...

:scared::whistle:

Joep

Oncce.. 20 minutes to figure out why my VF700 wouldn't start (rocker switch) on the 1100 never , no shut off while riding,, ( unintentionally) {{I could get my VF to give loud explosions by killing switch for three seconds and then back on.. but the wing doesn't wanna pop}}

Rudy

For me, first in line at a stop light in the fast lane of a 6 lane road near a mall. 5 oclock traffic, hot summer day. I'm sitting there looking cool and the envy of all the others next to me and I reach over to change the song on the MP3 player. Unbeknown to me, my sleeve passed over the ultra easy kill switch knob and turns it for me.

Bike dies cold. Two seconds later the light turns Green.

I'm going WTF????? I did NOTHING to cause the bike to stop.

Hit the starter and it spins. Deader than a doornail. Traffic behind me starts going around me. Traffic waiting to get on from the side street has nothing better to do than watch.

After all the traffic gets gone, I put it on neutral and start foot tipping it across the 3 lanes on my side. That way the people waiting on the side street can get a real good look as I screw with it from the side near them.

Finally, just before the traffic light cycles I see the kill switch and turn it on, hit the starter and it sputters to life after blowing out all the gas I dumped through there.

I threw it in gear and took off like a scalded dog.

Not fun... not fun at all. I was pissed.

I still am.

Geezerglider

[user=895]Joep[/user] wrote:

Oncce.. 20 minutes to figure out why my VF700 wouldn't start (rocker switch) on the 1100 never , no shut off while riding,, ( unintentionally) {{I could get my VF to give loud explosions by killing switch for three seconds and then back on.. but the wing doesn't wanna pop}}

I would do that if I were you. I blew several mufflers on my dad's cars when I was a teenager doing that. :yes:

Joep

No worry.. no longer have the VF... was fun under over passes and in tunnels though...............

tbiede

I just dropped it on Sunday! I was at a stop sign. I was going to take a right turn. I think I turned the handlebars too far to the right and down it went! (I think the road was crowned.) Luckily for me there was a guy in a car behind me and he got out and helped me pick it up. How embarassing!

By the way, does anybody have a right side mirror and right side Markland driver's floorboard, for an 86 Aspy se-i, for sale? :whistle:

KA4YQI

:cry:Well I must confess, I dropped the 89 wing and the 98 3 days after I got it in the tag office parking lot. Both had to do with 2nd gear. Both happen in a parking lot. Hurt my pride more than anything. I survived and I guess if I keep riding it will happen again I just hope it was like the other two.

Startedlate

Haven't dropped my Wing YET. However I did drop my Suzuki Boulevard when a cop came through a stop sign from my left. I had just pulled out of a driveway and was barely moving. Cut the front wheel all the way to the right and got on the front brake hard to avoid the patrol car. Dropped it right over. Oh did I mention, my wife was my passenger. Nobody hurt. Thanks to engine guards, only minor damage to the bike. City paid for the damage.

mike

Geezerglider
Just as I was feeling so proud of myself for not dropping the bike in a long time, I pulled up to the gas pump today, sat there astraddle of it while I cleared the trip odo, killed the engine with the key to open the gas door, then started to get off. By the time I realized I'd forgotten to put the kickstand down, it was to late. :doh:

mikef

Four times, total. The first three, is front of many, many witnesses. The last time was alone, but I needed 4 others to help pick it up, because I was going up a steep hill, in the gravel, and it fell topside towards the bottom of the hill. Good 'ole Oregon hills.

Heath

First time was in the driveway. Downhill slope, bike pointed downhill, me under it cleaning, look up thinking, "that looks odd", roll out of the way just in time to keep it from falling over on me. I was scrubbing gunk from the PO not cleaning it and got a little enthusiastic.

At work a few times I've pulled in and forgot the kickstand. Guys started to laugh at me then I yanked it back up off the ground still standing over it. 6'4" and 250#, still muscular enough. They don't mess with me at the shop.

Devans

:twitch:

larhjass

[user=1]Devans[/user] wrote:

:twitch:

Yeah, what he says!!!!:twitch::twitch::twitch::twitch::twitch::twitch::twitch::twitch::twitch::twitch:

KC604

On my 3rd bike in 3 years and still lucky. Came really close yesterday as I am getting accustomed to my 08 Wing. Was admiring it in my driveway and went to move it up closer to the garage and slipped on some fallen leaves.

Like Devans said, it's a matter of when.

mansfieldwinger

I've laid my bikes down a number of times. On my 81 XS650 I lost control due to wet leaves in a freshly sealed parking lot. On both of my Magna's I was hit by a car - one making a U-turn into me and the other running a stop sign. On the 85 wing I had a habit of leaving the side stand down when taking off. Don't know why, I had never done this on my other bikes. Anyway, one time I left it down, my wife was on back, and it caught on the crown of the road. I slowed down but jerked the bike too much and off into the ditch we went. We didn't crash but the momentum threw my wife off and I hopped off just in time to keep it from falling on my right leg. A guy in a truck stopped to help me pick it up. I was TOTALLY embarrassed. Thankfully it was very grassy and the crash bars prevented any damge. After a few blips of the starter we were back on the road. After that I never again forgot about the side stand. I don't know if all GL1200's were made that way but mine would run with the side stand down. On my current 89 1500 we almost went down at a stop sign when my foot slipped on some loose gravel. My wife was amazed that I was able to hold it up with both of us on it. I think fear and adrenalin kicked in at the same time.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,