Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
fysty-1

Another Trailer Project Almost Complete

50 posts in this topic Last Reply

fysty-1

[user=1299]AspectTwo[/user] wrote:

:banana::banana:Cool trailer Angela!! Like it much!! Too bad the Thule racks didn't come with as they command a decent price on fleabay.

Mike, love you got thru easily....with our luck if they have a quota of 1/hr to stop, it's gonna be us! Always reminds me of the Fraiser episode where they took Daphne over the border.....good laughs!! :funny:

Chris the racks were advertised with the box as a unit but @ 225Cnd, I could not afford that so I offered him 75 for box only & he accepted.

Mike what a great shot. Glad you had a great time. I know I sure glad to have met you and Thea. Oh and here daughter as well.:doh::scared::funny::egypt::whip::woohoo:

fysty-1

Well boy & girls. I got my cargo box back from the painter this week and finally had a chance to set it on the frame to have a looky see. I sure am pleased. Now I have to figure out how to make use of some kind of quick fasteners to attach the box to frame. I may want to use trailer as a flat bed from time to time. Also I am not happy with the tail lights. To me they seem just too bulky and don't work with the bumper I have got to install. Here are a couple of pics thus far. Remember these were taken today & it is is cloudy with the threat of snow & -1oC. I also have to paint rims & I am awaiting the arrival of the new tires.

919_172355_390000000.jpg

919_172356_050000000.jpg

AspectOne

Nice doll real nice..

fysty-1

Here is a rough rendering ( my first attemp @ MS Paint ), of what the rear will look like.

Attached files 111545=3340-Untitled.png

Vegaswingnut

Angela, that looks great! I must say you have a fine taste in top boxes.....I think Joe will agree.

fysty-1

[user=75]Vegaswingnut[/user] wrote:

Angela, that looks great! I must say you have a fine taste in top boxes.....I think Joe will agree.

That's so true George & I have you to thank. After I saw yours, I just had to have that style. The one thing I may have done that is different is I took the hinges & locks off of the other smaller box ( the Thule), had keys made & am retrofiying to the bigger box. Hinges have been easy just my Dremel & a cutting wheel to narrow the wide part of the hinge. The Locks are a little harder as the sidewals on the big box are on a slight ange so the latch mecho has to be bent about 15o. Difficult but doable. I have already drilled to 3/4" holes for the locks. My frame is too heavy looking to look good with the smaller boxes. I realy did want a special style Wine/liquor barrel. I don't remember the name but the are squat. 44" tall with a 35" diameter @ the gurth. Had such big plans but the cheapest I found was 6 bills. I was going to customize the barrel to look like it was sitting below the trailer floor. Oh well.:scared::dance::dance::COOL::cool:

plskthompson

Similar to this one?

barrel.jpg

fysty-1

Yes very similar except that the barrel that I want is bigger and I would be mounting length wise not sideways. The trick to making a good cargo box out of a barrel is tofirst off media blast the entire barrels exterior then stain & varathan the wood & prime & paint the metal bands but before that you need to drill and rivet or screw every stave @ every ring. Then paint. @ this point take a saw & cut just under a quarter of the barrel off top to bottom thro' the lon axis. At this point fit a piece of plywood to the barrel to form the bottom of box. Once docut the entire barrel @ the halfway pointagain along the long axis & this will give you the lid of you box. Lots of work but a great look when done & as a cabinent maker, this would not be all that much work for me. But I guess this is all moot as I just cannot afford to buy one of these barrels.:CRY::cry::funny::funny:Just rememberd the name of the barrels .... A hogshead!:doh::clap::clap::clap::COOL:

plskthompson

That's a lot more work than we put in to that one. We put a couple of gallons of water in it, waited a couple of days, then drained it. Cut the ends where the hinges are, painted the bands, varnished the barrel and mounted it. Never did pull it completely apart.

It even had a functioning spigot on one end. You wouldn't believe some of the looks we got going down the highway.

Almost as many weird ones as we get with this.

Photosofcarama182.jpg

Joep

Yeah I agree.. great looking top box.... I am also going to redo my hinges to a piano style hinge.. still muddling over the details... and I agree those arw bulky lights

fysty-1

Just an update on the project. I got the lights mounted & working and I have started to get the 2 halfs of the box back together but this will take awhile as I am using the hinges & locks off of a much newer Thule box. Box was too small & looked stupid on this frame so got the much bigger box but it had real old fashion type of hinges and the locks are the same as the hinges only with holes for you to use pad locks. So I am using modern parts on antique equipment.hehehe I have to have some steel cut for mounting the box bottom to the frame and I am awaiting the bumper tubing to come back from the chromers. If these guys turn out to be as good as I think they are, I will be using them again as the are very reasonable pricewise. 2 pcs of 36" ridged copper tubing is only costing me 50 bucks for chrome. It should be finished this Summer. PS,Bumper is now installed but not in these pics. See third pic (drawing) down.:woohoo:

919_172355_390000000.jpg

919_172356_050000000.jpg

919_261713_210000000.png

919_222325_460000000.jpg

fysty-1

I have a question for one of you wise ones. I need to reinforce the bottom of my box where it mounts to the railer fraim & for this I have 1/8"x1.5" flat steel for the insid and 1/4"x1.5" for the out side. These brackets are 8" long with 5/16" mounting hole spaced @ 6" apart. Also there will be identicle brackets to the bottom outer with the exception that they have nuts welded on & these will be tack welded to the underside of trailer frame to allow for easy removal of the box if I need to. All this metal has been painted with automotive blk primer. This is the exact same box as Vegaswingnut

Taking into concideration all of the above, would I be better to use ABS cement or PL premium to glue the brackets to the box?:baffled::baffled:

fysty-1

[user=919]fysty-1[/user] wrote:

I have a question for one of you wise ones. I need to reinforce the bottom of my box where it mounts to the railer fraim & for this I have 1/8"x1.5" flat steel for the insid and 1/4"x1.5" for the out side. These brackets are 8" long with 5/16" mounting hole spaced @ 6" apart. Also there will be identicle brackets to the bottom outer with the exception that they have nuts welded on & these will be tack welded to the underside of trailer frame to allow for easy removal of the box if I need to. All this metal has been painted with automotive blk primer. This is the exact same box as Vegaswingnut

Taking into concideration all of the above, would I be better to use ABS cement or PL premium to glue the brackets to the box?:baffled::baffled:

bump:evil::evil::scared:

Joep

I have the same box '1.. and I think I would use either fiberglass resin over the top of the plates inside.. after bolting through the box and plate... right now mine has 2x6 blocks bolted to my frame...1/2 inch bolts about 3 inches long.... I am considering using osb board for the trailer deck and cutting some "plates" out of the remainder.. screwing these in abd coating with resin.. none of the glues I tried would hold.. but I had to patch a break in the box and the fiberglass resin did stick to it... that is my thoughts on this.. will also coat it in resin so I can sand and paint it... Vegas has same issue I do.. little tap or bump and paint scrapes off...

Joep

Oh and the new lights are great... much better then the bigger "klunky" ones... now you need to bumper it a bit and mount lights on that..

fysty-1

Thanks Joe, I guess it will be 3-M. Here is the finished frame. Now all I have to do is complete the lock & hinge swap. Took hinges & locks off a newer Thule box that was only 15cf. I bought if for this trailer but it looked like a Mini sitting on a Frauhauf flatdeck.:funny: Found this bigger box but didn't like the hinge & lock setup.

919_241417_230000001.jpg

919_241417_230000000.jpg

fysty-1

I still want to get a cooler & carpet but here she is finally done. Almost forgot. Tires as well.

919_102126_370000000.jpg

919_102126_060000004.jpg

919_102126_060000003.jpg

919_102126_060000002.jpg

919_102126_060000001.jpg

919_102126_060000000.jpg

kylesmuskie

Very nice spoke hub caps Fysty-1:clap:

fysty-1

Thanks Ron. I am stuck between that look & the old school look of Baby moons with Trim rings on dark red wheels. Have not been able to find 13" steel trim rings yet, but here is a pic of the moons.919_241553_310000000.jpg

Joep

Hey Fysty what is the name of the locking lid supports and where did you find them? I need a set for mine and am looking to get them and installed for the MNG this next week...

fysty-1

JP, I believe they are called Secretary supports. These one came with this old cartopper. But here is a quick link for you. http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=259888 Angela

AspectOne

Nice doll

dwsonar

What did you end up using for paint? How's it holding up?

fysty-1

PPG with a plasticizer. The color is a 1997 GL1500 SE color. As for holding up? It's not. I bumped the corne everso lightly but due to thin material it popped the paint off & i just washed it and lost another little peice. But I do have a couple of cans of matching paint that I will resand, prime & repaint as needed. Vegaswingnut has had simil;ar problems with his beautiful trailer that has the same body that mine has. Some plastics are just not able to be painted. :CRY:

AspectOne

You need a better flex agent

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,