Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
Devans

Spent the day in the ER

119 posts in this topic Last Reply

Devans

So there I am at work, getting ready to install an Air Conditioner, and the whole left side of my body goes numb...:twitch:

I go to the ER, they run a ton of blood tests, CT scan of my head and torso, x-rays of my head, chest and back, neurological test, and then tell me that my blood sugar is very high and I have pre-diabetes.

They never gave me an answer as to why my whole left side went numb, and is still numb as I type this. I go in to see my regular doc on Monday.

Any one else had this numbness on one side of your body....?:baffled:

Left face, whole forehead, left arm, top of left leg, and left foot....It feels weak, but I have strength in it.... seems to worsen when I am up moving around, although we did our 5 mile walk tonight, and it didnt seem to worsen then.

Also, they ruled out a stroke with the CT scan.

Wvboy

I haven't dealt with anything like that, I hope they actually find the cause and you heal up or they find a pill that will take care of it

maverick_racer

I've had tingling in my arms but never had it all go numb. Hope it is something minor or that may be fixed with a med.

Bamaeagle

Were you lifting or trying to lift something before you went numb?

Devans

Kind of frustrating that they never found the cause of the numbness.... It doesnt effect my speech, walking or balance.

Im hoping my regular doc will have more info after looking at the scan and x-rays.

Devans

[user=882]Bamaeagle[/user] wrote:

Were you lifting or trying to lift something before you went numb?

Nope, just walking to my service van. It actually started yesterday, but it was just in my left cheek and not very noticeable... It just hit all of a sudden today.

Bamaeagle

Well I hope your regular Doc can find out the problem. Sounds like a pinched nerve to me but, I am not a doctor.....nor do I want to be one.

Devans

Thats what Im hoping to... I actually have an appointment with my cutie chiro tomorrow. I have a back problem that I have had since I feel from a 2 story roof. It has never acted like this before, so Donna and I were scared poopyless when I went numb today...

mikef

High blood sugar? How high? High blood sugar is nothing to mess around with. Chances are good, you will end up on meds.

Elevated blood sugar messes with your mind, mood swings, irrationality, anxiety, not to mention body problems. Not sure about the numbness, but it does affect blood circulation. I have a constant partial numbness in my feet, partially from nerve damage due to back surgeries.

The doc will tell you pre-diabetes is an aging function and chances are the majority of people will suffer type 2. I personally blame it on years of eating foods exposed to pesticides and growth enhancers.

You can lower it somewhat through diet, but it's hard to stay around that 130, they push for. When mine was diagnosed, it was 411. It really, really messes with your melon. Drop all the sugar now. Hopefully, you are borderline and maybe can delay this.

Devans

Unfortunately, at the time, I never even thought of asking the numbers...:doh: He just said it was very high. I have extreme dry throat, just cant get enough to drink, I feel like I am always pissing, Im tired alot even after sleeping....

My dad had it, my grandfather, his dad, my grandmother, and her mom all had it also...:doh:

mikef

Those are classic symptoms.....drinking alot, always thirsty, pissing alot, fatigue, and watch for unexplained weight loss.

Devans

[user=12]mikef[/user] wrote:

Those are classic symptoms.....drinking alot, always thirsty, pissing alot, fatigue, and watch for unexplained weight loss.

The weight lose part is hard to watch for since I am trying to lose about 30 pounds. Although, I did lose 5 pounds last week, and everyone else in the family only lost 2 :ponder:

What about irrational talking.... let me explain.... we were at my moms tonight, getting my hair cut, I blurted out something like "and you talk about the way the boys cut".... it made no sense in hell why I said it, and I dont know why I said it, it just came out... :baffled: Donna just stared at me and say..." WHAT?" :doh:

mikef

You fly off the handle over nothing. You just came in the house and put your keys on the table. Ten minutes later, you can't find them and go into a meltdown, instantly.

I never would have thought it possible, if I hadn't gone through it myself. You can go from calm to unbelievable rage, instantly. Add short term memory loss. Like I said, the high blood sugars affect circulation, and that includes to your brain. Everyone is affect differently, but it really took me by storm.

If I start having a meltdown, chances are good that my blood sugar is out of whack.

Sounds really messed up, but it's nothing to play with.

I take 1000 mg of Metformin every night. I can really lower it if I stop all sugar intake, but it's hard to do. you can't cheat before you go to the doctor, because they can do a test called an A1c, which tells them what your blood sugar has been over the past 2-3 months. Ideally, you want under 7.0. Mine is usually 6.5 - 6.7. Sometimes lower.

Diet and watching what you eat can do wonders.

Devans

Thank you for the info Mike :worthy:... I feel a little better. Im hoping the chiro can help me with the numbness... Im hoping it was just coincidental that they found the high blood sugar today, and the numbness is a pinched nerve.

Im off to bed, I am beat....

Any more info, go ahead and post and Ill read it in the morning...

Thanks again :wave::wave:

mikef

I hope it truly is a pinched nerve, causing your numbness. Blood sugar is another issue.

Joep

Hmmmmm well have your doc rule out bell's palsey it does affect one side of the body mainly in the facial areas.. you could have a slipped disc in the upper neck region.. or degenerated discs,,, I have had a back surgery also and I have diabetes.. adult on set... now shooting the liquid 2x a day.. no fun it hurts!!! (I don't like discomfort and I don't like sticking myself either)... the high blood sugar may be a result of genetics, family history and bidy run down.. watch the carb counts ( not so much potatoes, cakes cookies) and switch drinks from reg colas to other.. like more water.. good luck and let us know whats what..

paper

At first, I was thinking Bell's Palsy, but that's usually just temporary loss of function of a side of your face, but can be an entire side of the body in extreme cases..

A riding/hunting buddy of mine is currently getting better from a case of this... He's funny to watch when he eats..

(yes, if you can't laugh at a good friend, what good is he?)(but only if he laughs first)

Dean, none of us are getting younger.. Chill and hope it's better in the AM...

mikef

I thought about the Palsey thing too, but only seen it affect the face, and usually gets worse to a point, before it gets better.

t is fun to watch them eat...........sorry.....

paper

t is fun to watch them eat...........sorry.....

It's fun because it's temporary.. :winker:

I just got a call this week from a former co-worker from 25 or so years ago.. He lost his sight about 15 years ago... From what he can tell, it was stress related, and he's only in his early 50's. Now that just sucks..:no:

mikef

Way to lighten up the room, Dan.......

I know, it sucks. More and more friends I have known for years, seem to be going through similar, life threatening incidents, or afflictions. It's really scary, and even confirms the fact more than ever......................you need to live for today. It's not the destination........it's the journey.

paper

Way to lighten up the room, Dan.......

I know, it sucks. More and more friends I have known for years, seem to be going through similar, life threatening incidents, or afflictions. It's really scary, and even confirms the fact more than ever......................you need to live for today. It's not the destination........it's the journey.

The good part about the old co-worker is that he's taking advantage of opportunities that have come about because of his issue.. He's done several big game hunts, walked a marathon in Ankorage, Alaska with his wife, and spent time sitting down with Ted Nugent to talk hunting, and ended up getting his name mentioned during the concert as a tribute to Fred Bear.

His attitude is WAY better than many folks I know who have no issues.. And it's because of his attitude that I'll be contacting him to do things when I'm wandering the Monroe, WI area..

None of us have it as bad as we could.. Enjoy what we have!!!

I think I'll have bacon tomorrow..:egypt: Celebrate life!!

UBarW

Dean, best wishes dood...

Vegaswingnut

Hey Dean,

I just got home and checked the thread. I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling good. I'm sure the Dr's will figure out whats wrong and will get you back at 100% soon.

After a motorcycle accident I had, my right arm and hand would go limp. A couple trips to the chiropractor and all is well.

Hope its something simple for you too. Keep us updated!

mikef

[user=75]Vegaswingnut[/user] wrote:

Hey Dean,

After a motorcycle accident I had, my right arm and hand would go limp. A couple trips to the chiropractor and all is well.

That wasn't followed by a sudden attraction to men, was it? :rofl: :yes:

Vegaswingnut

Nope! :tap:

Still a practicing lesbian! :yes:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,