waltja02

Looking for a new 1800

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

waltja02

The finance committee has informed me that a new to us Goldwing is a go. I need some help on deciding what to get. 

We currently have a 91 1500 interstate. It has served us very well. Obviously they have come a long way since the bare bones interstate. 

She said I needed to keep it around 10-12 thousand. We both really like the orange and yellow ones however color is probably the least important. 

What years do I want to look for? And what years do I stay away from? What option do you recommend and what options should I stay away from?

Obviously I will be doing some research but  I’m just excited that the finance committee has given the green light to upgrade. 

Thanks in advance for the information.  

Mountain Rider

Congrats, now the search begins.  In my opinion, 2006 and newer are your best bets.  The frame crack issues have been dealt with, though there may still be some brake recalls to deal with.  Easy enough to check, just take the vin to a dealer and they can tell if they've been done.  ABS is a very good option, I'd avoid the NAV systems and just get a Garmin if that's something you want.  If you can find one with a factory CB, it's always a handy thing to have when in a group.  Good tires and maintenance records are a plus as well.  Check the preload system for correct operation.  With the ignition on, set it all the way down to zero, then press the up button and listen to the pump.  If the pump sound doesn't start changing right from zero, it will need to be serviced, otherwise you don't get the benefit of that system.  One last thing, 1800's tend to buffet passengers with stock wind shields.  Put your finance officer on the back and take a test ride.  If she doesn't look happy, take a look at the Madstad wind shields.  They tend to make the ride very smooth and quiet.  Happy wife, happy life on the road.  Good luck and ride safe.

waltja02
15 hours ago, Mountain Rider said:

Congrats, now the search begins.  In my opinion, 2006 and newer are your best bets.  The frame crack issues have been dealt with, though there may still be some brake recalls to deal with.  Easy enough to check, just take the vin to a dealer and they can tell if they've been done.  ABS is a very good option, I'd avoid the NAV systems and just get a Garmin if that's something you want.  If you can find one with a factory CB, it's always a handy thing to have when in a group.  Good tires and maintenance records are a plus as well.  Check the preload system for correct operation.  With the ignition on, set it all the way down to zero, then press the up button and listen to the pump.  If the pump sound doesn't start changing right from zero, it will need to be serviced, otherwise you don't get the benefit of that system.  One last thing, 1800's tend to buffet passengers with stock wind shields.  Put your finance officer on the back and take a test ride.  If she doesn't look happy, take a look at the Madstad wind shields.  They tend to make the ride very smooth and quiet.  Happy wife, happy life on the road.  Good luck and ride safe.

Thanks for the info. I had forgotten about the frame issue. We will absolutely test ride before we make a purchase.

yooperfan

I didn't pick up on the meaning of the finance committee reference at first, mostly because I don't do the banking.  Look for the newest model combined with the lowest mileage that the upper end of your budget allows to get the most bang for your buck.  There is always a gem just waiting to be found somewhere.  Be willing to travel for the right wing, don't just settle for what you find locally, and it can serve you well.  Good luck with your search.

yooperfan
(edited)

Check the classified ads on this site.  The is a 2010 for sale with 19K that's at the low end of your budget.

There is also a 2008 with a matching trailer with 78K that's below your budget.

They might not be right for you, but it's a start.  There are other sites you can check, like cycle trader, craigs list, e-bay.   Happy hunting.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

waltja02

Well we had a drastic change in the terms of our search. We wound up with a new 2018. 

44E19F9C-3F11-4793-888F-95C559B5580A.jpeg

Mountain Rider

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  Very nice.

tamathumper

Congratulations!  And the fastest color, too!