scraper

Front wheel

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

scraper

I had to change the rubber on the front wheel on my 84. To get it off I had to remove the fender and the crom e rail. BecAuse the tire would not go past the bolts. Is there a better way to do this. Than to remove the fender. Would the brace so to job better if it was removed to spread the forks and get the wheel up and in its place.

roscoepc

Greg, I use a motorcycle jack to lift the bike when I'm fooling with the tires. All I do is remove the 4 axle "cap" bolts, the brake caliper, and remove the tire. If you don't have one check out Harbor Freight. I think you can get one for about $50.00 or so. You'd be amazed at how useful they are!! Also removing the fork brace will not allow the forks to really spread that much if at all... 

I'm sure you know this but you should loosen the brace bolts up when reinstalling the tire, install the 4 axle cap bolts loosely and tighten the FRONT two bolts first and then the rear two and finishing up by retightening the fork brace. Loosening and retightening the brace like this will allow the front forks to be aligned with the axle....

Good Luck with Her!!

scraper

The brave is what I wondered about. Not the part about derailment part. The old and the new rubber need a 1\2 inch room to clear the bolts to get past the fender bolts. And looking at it seems that removing the brace would help get the room I need to get the tire up there. I did take the bolts out of the brace. When I removed the wheel. It didn't  want to remove very easily so I didn't force it. I had the wheel out at that point. It's just put it back. I'll remove the brace and see how that helps with it install.