Indianawantsme

Trip to the Philippines

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Indianawantsme
(edited)

Looks like we are stuck in Ormoc City,Leyte for who knows how long since we can't get to Cebu to catch our flight out.  Cebu won't let anyone in as far as we know. Locked down like Manila.    We are going to try to find out for sure tomorrow. 

Sketchy and last minute decisions is the normal here so we didn't even have a chance to get out.   

Could be a month until April 15th.  Could be a week. Who knows.  

What makes it worse is we cannot travel very far out of Ormoc and their are roadblocks.  Not really anywhere new to sightsee with the rented Yamaha NMAX since we are pinned in here.  Was wanting to do this for 10yrs and was loving finally being able to ride something here.  People don't understand what a difference it is to ride something and sightsee instead of sitting in something.  Town driving sucks but just get a few miles out and there isn't much traffic and great riding.  The roads have improved a lot in the last 3 years since we were here.   

Pretty good little machine for a scooter, Yamaha NMAX,  155cc  and fuel injected, ABS,  CVT belt drive with rear drive unit.  Huge comparment under seat and excellent fuel mpg.  113 mpg or so depending on how easy  i ride with wife on the back.   6.6 liter instead of Wings 6.6gal.   Lever for rear brake is on  left handlebar and front brake is right front handlebar.

EXCELLENT brakes. 

I did a boo boo the other day. I didn't get the sidestand set right and it fell over and broke the mirror mount.   Went to the Yamaha dealer here and wonderful place. Wasn't worth for me to sweat and do the work myself.  U bracket  that the mirror screws into and holds the right brake m/cylinder for the front brakes was only $2 and $2 labor.  I had them fix other missing bolts and bad rubber mounts for the little wind deflector for another $3.50 while i was there even though i didn't have to.

Total of $7.50 that probably would have cost $150 in the USA.

Saved me losing $40 deposit for stuff broken. 

Pic in front of poster at the place we rented the scooter from.  

Pic in front of friends house on the way back from Lake Danao

Pic in front of real estate sign.  I think i took a wrong turn somewhere. 

Pic up in hills close to Palompon. Really curvy road.  Seemed like it went up 5000ft but only 1000ft. 

Pic road and curve.

Pic uphill and curve ahead.. Not the really sharp curves we went through earlier. You can't really see the baby in front of the dad on the bike coming down. 

Pic of scenery

Pic of scenery and me.

EDIT: of course it reversed the order of pics.   

IMG_5329.JPG

IMG_5325.JPG

IMG_5331.JPG

IMG_5322.JPG

1583311010505.jpg

Guy James house.JPG

1583287158373.jpg

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Like 1

Indianawantsme

I have to wear compression socks so that is the way it is with the long gray socks.

OnaWingandaPrayer

I hope  your able to make you way home soon.

Monkeytrucker

Steve and Roweena, you are missing the Monsoon season here in our region.  RAIN AND MORE RAIN.  

Of course it is not like the Monsoon season in the Philippines.   Be safe, hope you can somehow make it back to IN.  It looks like travel is being shut down and entrance to the USA is about blocked.

Indianawantsme

Thanks.     I saw all that rain forecast.  March is always a swamp there anymore.   Downpoured a couple of times here the first week and just a few sprinkles since. Pretty good chance of rain here this weekend. 

I wanted to take a video of us riding the scooter in the busy traffic but now traffic is a lot lighter.  Haven't been out yet today to go to her mom's house so she can assist with her mom. 

Monkeytrucker

Steve, Evansville and Henderson has Covid-19 cases.  Deaconess hospital system is asking people who sew to make masks and protective gowns for the hospital.  Of course being So. IN and So. IL and West KY are hard right wing leaners they do not believe it is a real pandemic event.  The pres is shutting down the borders and international travel to non-essential travel.  Be safe.  BTW, if you are not able to get back before the end of the summer I figure we can find guys and gals that would ride you bikes for you to keep them from wasting away.....

DougW

At todays mid day briefing the President said US citizens who are abroad and having problems getting transportation back to the US should contact the Consulate or Embassy.  They will assist you in getting back.

Indianawantsme

Monkeytrucker. Thanks for  the update on local.  I was wondering when it would hit Evansville.   

We are safe here for now.  Nothing close to us. 

Hope we are not gone that long.  Might have son put battery tenders on soon.  

Indianawantsme

Doug.  I had already contacted US Embassy in Cebu and they said Don't depend on USA to get us out.  

I also contacted my classmate Senator Mike Braun and no answer yet. 

We seem to be isolated from the virus by staying here and might be better off not travelling unless they can absolutely guarantee we won't get it.     

Would be nice to be home though. 

Monkeytrucker

Steve, 

The word is that one can forget about the USA government getting citizens out of other countries.  Finding contractor airlines willing to expose crews and aircraft is probably a distant dream.  I was watching Heathrow airport live in London yesterday and it looked like EVV with the very low numbers of flights and most of the takeoffs were empty and light aircraft that were probably headed to being parked.  Their take off rolls were extremely short and were well overhead by the time they got mid runway.  Virgin was parking their planes on taxiways.  Chicago O'Hare has been handling aircraft without the use of their tower.  Those poor airline pilots who have not used their uncontrolled airport skills for a long time are probably sweating.  Probably a lot of sore necks on the flight deck from having to put their heads back on a swivel.

Information here is from roses and self back patting because he is whipping the Chinese virus to the opposite facts where states, IL included, are instituting stay at home rules.  Indiana just reported a MD is now positive.  New Jersey just ordered a stay at home and shutting down.  Stopping the contact spread of this virus which the top corona virus leader, a former governor of IN, has said that this virus is three (3) times more contagious than the flu is. 

Funny thing that places that are building widgets that do nothing are claiming to be "Essential".  Car mfg.s in USA are not building cars but Champion Labs in Albion, one of the largest OEM filter mfg.s is staying open.  Have to keep VWs running.

Estella is making masks.  We found that Vincennes industrial is selling some great cotton fiber hand towels in bundles that sew great and she has been using as backing for Angel Gowns is also great for making masks.  She is sewing a colorful layer of cotton cloth over the filter material. We are simply going to place the masks over a black light when we get done wearing them.  The UV light is used to interrupt the DNA of viruses.  It is used by the CDC to disinfect their labs when people leave. 

Just came on the news that air traffic in NY is snarled and headed into a big problem.  

Of course this is a good thing for a couple of USA senators with intelligence briefings selling millions of $$ in stocks just before the market crashed.  Makes my stock in Social Security Administration feel pretty safe.  It looks like there is going to be a two trillion dollar  ($2,000,000,000,000) bailout for the economy which will be on top of the $800,000,000,000  already appropriated and the 1,000,000,000,000 yearly deficit we already have.  That makes the increase in deficit spending right up there with the Iraq war.

You and your wonderful bride and your families stay safe.

Indianawantsme

The time ran out on rental scooter again so we decided to take it back for good.  :Face-Crying:    We decided it wasn't worth it since we couldn't get out of the immediate area and travel.   I offered them half the price i had been paying, but they countered  lower than what i had been paying but not low enough. 

Their loss not getting a little income from me.  No one else is going to rent that big of scooter so they should have taken what they could get. 

I will  miss the wind in my face and freedom to RIDE.   Even if it was to her mom's or the grocery stores not very far from here. 

Compared to what the traffic had been when we first got here 3 weeks ago it is a "ghost town" now.   It was a lot more relaxing lately without trying to get through a 4 way intersection with NO STOP SIGN.  Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!    

IF we could get to Cebu there is a flight leaving on Sundays.  We are still locked down here so we can't get there yet. 

Problem is they are PRICE GOUGING.

$2450 for each of us one way to get home = $4900 Total...... We have  $1296 credit from Delta total for not being able to take our return flight last Sunday. 

Going to get on their Facebook page and do some complaining and send them some e-mails.   I am going to try and call again sometime and hope i will not be on hold for a long time. 

Monkeytrucker

Hang in there Steve.  IN like IL is in lock down.  I had a MD apt. yesterday and had to do it via Zoom.  Used my own BP cuff, my own thermometer, my own Blood Sugar meter, my own INR meter, and my own computer.  I suspicion I will have a bill the same amount as if I was in their office.  Now our fearless genius wanna be king is going to decide who chokes to death with the Covid-19.  BTW it is in Sullivan now.  Our street and your street is next.

Becareful, be safe.  Sounds like the Philippines is getting controls on stopping spread. 

• Like 1

yooperfan

Steve, good luck with your travels and stay safe.  Think of this as an extended vacation, not as being stuck there and then it won't feel like a bad thing that you're still there.

Gary, when your Dr. bill comes at full price, send a bill to him/her for use of your own equipment, your own nurse Estella, and your own office space and see what happens.  The worst that can happen is he/her will deny it.  If you don't ask,  you won't get anything.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker
On 3/25/2020 at 1:58 PM, yooperfan said:

Gary, when your Dr. bill comes at full price, send a bill to him/her for use of your own equipment, your own nurse Estella, and your own office space and see what happens. 

Steve, at least you are in a warmer part of the world where prices are cheaper.  Many things are being rationed here in the stores. 1 carton of eggs, 1 distilled gallon of water, limits on how many cans of various items along with produce.  Estella is sewing masks and we are using those cotton fiber hand towels we get at Vincennes Industrial for filter media between the cotton cloth.  Appears to work great.  I needed some 2X4s today for my trailer project.  Called Lowes and ordered and prepaid.  Being Frankentruck is getting a heart transplant I drove the little red dodge.  Drove up, called on the cell, they came out and put it in the back and off I went.  It was unbelievable at the number of idiot rednecks not protecting themselves, bunched up, riding 3 in a pickup, and other unsafe practices.  Lowes had plastic shields up between cashiers and customers.  Posey County now has positive tests.  Toyota has had employees testing positive. Chicago is going to give tickets to people in groups.

David, I have been married to the house nurse for well over 55 years.  Looking at younger nurses in person is more fun.....

Hey everyone.  Be careful, wearing a mask and gloves might make someone give you a funny look but visualize them in ICU and your being protected a much as possible is worth it if you are not in ICU or on ice in some skating rink in a body bag.  Funerals are being turned into celebrations of life at later dates.  

Indianawantsme

We are still here with no boat to get to Cebu and no flights out of there even if we got there. Cebu City is on lockdown until April 14th and now Ormoc City where we are has extended theirs until April 30th. Jeesh!!!!!

If Cebu opens up on the 14th and has flights out we will try again to get out of Ormoc and get to Cebu if we can safely get back home by then.  

I had my patience set to stay calm until April 14th but this is getting ridiculous.   Rowena is the patient one and she is not anymore. 

Before this extended lockdown we tried the US Embassy several times and no luck with them. Tried my classmate Senator Mike Braun and no answer at all. Wait until the next time i see him if i ever get home. Tried City Hall and Transportation director and no luck either.

The virus is really blowing up in the USA and doesn't look like we want to be there TOO soon. Most of the states are really spreading.

I have a house and everything to take care and can't stay away ALL summer.  Neighbors and 2 sons that live fairly close are taking care of things. Thanks to them VERY MUCH. 

Our 2 cats are wondering what happened to us.   Got to video chat with youngest son while he was at our house in Schnellville.   

Internet kept going off like usual and was frustrating as heck.    Oldest cat's ears perked up when i called her name.  She has never come up to anybody and let them touch her in the 2 yrs we have had her since a kitten.. She is so lonely he got to pet her.   

Rowena works at Kimball Electronics and could be there working a lot of overtime making Ventilator circuit boards.

She is NOT a happy wife. 

I messaged Delta again and the guy said as long as we don't change the cities on our flights the price should remain the same.    I sure hope so.  

We don't want to use our stimulus checks just to go into the airlines pockets. 

If i would have known we were going to be here this long wife and i would have bought a bike.  

It is still hot here but a nice breeze almost all the time. 90-91F.    Nights cool down to about 74F.  Only the bedroom that we stay in at sister-in-laws house has A/C.   Rest of house cools down to a whole 83F during the night.

Only way we can get out of here is if the US military gets us.  We aren't important enough for that.   Just 2 Hoosiers ready to go home in 2 weeks.