Sign in to follow this  
Monkeytrucker

Another project

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

Started building a 20' flat deck trailer with a 5' beaver tail on the back.  Two axles in a drawbar hitch design.  Going to have a 96" wide deck.  I wanted to do a 5th wheel but I would have to buy a 5th wheel hitch post and I already have the drawbar hitch so Frankentruck will pull from the bumper instead of his 5th wheel ball.

Why am I building a big trailer is being asked of me.  My answer is "because I want to and am tired of bumming one from my son in law a couple times a year"  Besides, it is putting a bunch of the stuff I have been hoarding to use.  I already have the license plate and title for it as having built trailers in the past that we cut up we are holding some homemade trailer titles from the days it was cheap and easy to license and title them.  Today you have to have the Illinois Secretary of State Police to come and inspect your home built trailer and that is only after you file a ton of paperwork.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

7 days later and here is where this project is at.  Ready to cut in the tail/brake lights and wire them and the brakes and then start putting the deck on.  Lots of hole drilling for that part.  Supposed to rain one day later this week so I will get the ramps built in the shop.  Am on my second tank of Argon/CO mix and ready to start on the next 11 lb. reel of .035 wire.  Actually ran out of gas on Friday evening so I had to burn 6011 rod for 2 days.  Lots of welding and cutting involved on this project.

Friday we will be moving the Honda NS-400R, helmets and other assorted items to the site of the sale and auction.  We are sincerely hoping that the bike will bring a fair price for the Captains widow and kids.  The GUBERMENT informed her that he had failed to sign some form when he got his 20 in so they have denied her pension funds.  Time will fix that (I hope) as there has to be a form somewhere to fix it.  Ft. Campbell, KY had assured him he had more than 20 years in about a year before he was killed.  Mixing Navy and Army service probably creates a lot of the problem.

IMG_2367.JPG

OnaWingandaPrayer

making good progress Gary . You must be burning the midnight oil .

Andy Cote

My Dad built a few.  One of those I still have and is about the same size as yours.  All done with 6011, no gas.  While he used the spring setup from a tandem mobile home, he did not use the axles.  Instead he used rear ends from pickups with full floating axles, dual row bearings and hydraulic brakes.  He cutout the differentials and replaced with seamless tubing, pushed out to the full width.  Common eight lug pickup wheels.  Hydraulic brakes are great because they better accommodate the range of loaded weight without adjustment.  Also easy to get parts for and more options on tires.  Probably a great match to the Frankentruck as well.😀