Sign in to follow this  
Monkeytrucker

Honest Mom, they followed me home

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

Today we drove to Carbondale, IL, in fog and rain, loaded up 8 bikes that belonged to Army Reserve Captain Addington, veteran of 18 months in Afghanistan, awarded a Bronze Star, wore the mountain brigade patch and did 22 years, first in the Navy and then the Army NG and Reserve and met a tragic death.  He bought these and other motorcycles to feed his addiction to being on 2 wheels. So this was a sad departure of a son's collection, and a brother's collection of motorcycles and gear.  He had a thing for crotch rockets and Cafe Racer bikes.  One bike came with a German pedigree that might show it was an Austrian race bike.  His Dad thought it was Australian but I believe he was mistaken.  So now we have to back trace it and see if it can be titled here in the USA as a road bike and then sold.  His ability to put titles and etc, where no one could find them is now notorious and a problem for his Widow and 3 kids under 9 years of age now.

Being he Dad is the "Brother by another Mother" to myself I volunteered to help liquidate the collection.  He has started a Scooter Store to sell scooters and was just getting his feet under himself when called up to active duty.  So part of the "Stuff" is a truck load of helmets with most in new boxes, albeit weathered by several years of storage in an unheated dome structure.

On the way home today we stopped to fuel up Frankentruck as being the Ford gas tank sending unit does not speak the same Ohm range the Chevy dash does, we were approached by two guys who wanted to look at the bikes.  They tendered a $3,300 cash bid to unload 3 off the trailer at that moment.  That is more than the family figured the bikes worth but myself figures just one of those Ninjas might bring close to that.  So I suggested to them that I was going to unload them, clean them up, power them up (one bike at a time) and see if they run.  Flat out told them if they did then the prices will go up.  As an old tractor salesman I knew their price was very much a low ball price and that there has to be more meat on the bone.  Those guys were doing a better job of selling than I was because they kept pointing out all of the high end performance parts and pieces on them.  Even the lack of a proper title did not phase them.

We laughed all the way home about those 4 motorcycles riding our back bumper.  Three Kawasaki and one Honda.  The real laugh was about that 125 Kawasaki trail bike that was keeping up "Backwards".   On the way out of the valley we loaded up the remains of a Honda 4 wheel ATV and strapped it across the back of the trailer.  Tomorrow, Saturday, Estella and I are going to have to unload the trailer, and truck, category all bikes and items so we know exactly what there is.  In the middle is a Honda CB-175 that he converted to a Cafe Racer but that one is going to be mine. I plan on putting it back to street condition and riding it.  Estella is eyeballing one of the 160 cc scooters.

IMG_8224.JPG

IMG_8227.JPG

IMG_8223.JPG

Monkeytrucker

The blue and white Honda in the front row.  We found it to be a relative rare Honda NS-400R three cylinder 2 stroke made famous by Freddie Spencer.  Carb is off it but we hope we can find it in the boxes of parts that came with us.  3 Ninja bikes but have not looked to closely as to their rarity.  All 4 do not show up on the national stolen or totaled listing.  Missing titles on a couple probably points to his placing them someplace his widow has not found them.  There were license plates on most of them but privacy laws prevent DMV from verifying information.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

I am BLOWN AWAY.  Finding the provenance on the NS400R has been eye opening.  It has new tires (the nubs are still on the tread) on it so the tires listed as installed in Germany are not the same.  I found out why it does not have a USA title.  It is a GRAY vehicle, one that does not have US DOT certified items like the windscreen and etc.  so it is a collectors item.  

In my research I was directed to the Barbers Vintage Motorcycle Museum. I even was given the person to talk to there.  I called and asked for Brian Slark and was blown away when he answered.  Well not as much then but after I found out he started the Mungenast Museum in St. Louis before starting the Barber collection. He is a AMA Hall of Fame inductee.  The man was a huge help in learning about the motorcycle, how to find a value, how to ship it and much more.  What a great guy who will turn 82 next week.

So now the only thing I have to do is fill in the provenance between the last seller in Germany and my friends son in Southern IL.  I have the email for the original buyer, who has a motorcycle driving school and the last person on the very specific German title history.  Even putting different tires on it has to be registered for a new title.

Now it is clean up, shine up, photograph the good and the bad and be honest when it goes up for sale.  Just hope the amount it sells for will make the widow and her children proud of Daddies having bought the bike and stored it all of these years.

• Surprise 1

OnaWingandaPrayer

Thats quite an interesting bike. I didnt know Mother H built street 2 strokes that recently.

I did see where Mecum auctioned one last year.  It was valued at 15-20K. I didnt look for the sold price.