Sign in to follow this  
Monkeytrucker

"YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE CLIMBING UP TO PUT A ROOF ON!"

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

That was the very loud and explicit words given to my by "THE BRIDE" or commonly known at Estella.

I had moved the "Tractor Solarium" across the place and pulled it up on an 18" riser frame so I can get Frankentruck under it on the lower end of the grade.  Only trouble was that the backs of the "Old Red Dodge" and "Frankentruck" stuck out where they got wet.

The tractor solarium is made of salvaged oil field pipe and greenhouse covering plastic.  In intense cogitation, I realized I had some 16' long pieces of corrugated metal salvaged from the roof of the shop when the tree fell thru it and the insurance company had to replace the whole roof (not their idea).  So the length of the new overhang would be 8' as I could salvage 16 of them out of my salvage tin pile.

Then came the problem of climbing up on top of a roof support structure and nailing down the tin.  So the choice was climb the roof or sleep in the camper.  Well the camper idea had its advantages but I ruled out that option.  Again the thinking cap was put on.  After much mental and paper drawing designs of methods to get the roof 10' in the air the one depicted in the photos topped the list.  AND it passed the do not climb on a roof test.  The roof is 32' long and 8' wide. That makes the building 24' by 32'.  The only purchased material was the 3 roof girts (96' of 2x4) about 5 lbs of welding rod, some cut off discs, some roof nails and electricity to run the welders.  Oh, and dog food to power the truck co-pilot.  Total cost? Less than $100.  I can get 3 trucks in there, or 2 trucks + the tractor and Zero Turn mower, plus there is now a rack to store all of the 5 gallon gasoline containers, a lumber rack, ladder hangers, and what else can be hung from welded on shelves or hooks.

Yes there is a 10' step ladder in use but being it is expected to be used in putting up and taking down 2400 sq. ft. of shade cloth I am allowed to climb on it.

Next big project is to build an 18' long Goose Neck trailer.  Again all salvaged parts and pieces.

HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST UNDONE PROJECTS WINS!

IMG_7770.JPG

IMG_7768.JPG

IMG_7775.JPG

IMG_7920.JPG

IMG_7910.JPG

IMG_7905.JPG

IMG_7901.JPG

IMG_7821.JPG

IMG_7816.JPG

IMG_7773.JPG

Monkeytrucker
(edited)

Sorry, the photos came up out of order.  However one should get the idea.  At least the trucks are now dry.

Our Goldwing is also under the building. And under about 3' of dirt and limestone.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

flylow

Great job!  Don't you just love it when a project comes together.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

The project coming together is great.  But the greatest part is getting around Estella's outlandish rule against climbing on the roof putting the tin on.  We were going to town and it was raining,  I was driving and as we were driving down the lane I pulled the Fiat under the new roof and got out.  "See, I am dry under here and did not climb on the roof!".  Needless to say it was a quiet trip to town.

• Like 1