Mountain Rider

Best of the Great Northwest 2020 M&G

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

I started this on another forum, but wanted to share with my friends here as well.   June 12-14, 2020 in Idaho Falls, Idaho, we're going to try and hold the first Great Northwest meet and greet.  I'm working on campground and hotels right now.  For now the plan is for the 12th to be an arrival day with a meet up in the evening.  Saturday will be a ride followed by dinner and hopefully some good old fashioned BS'n around a campfire.  Sunday we'll do breakfast and another ride, then close out the day with dinner and some tales of  daring do.  More specific details will be posted as they come available.  Hope to see you there.  :SmileyTooth:

• Like 2

Mountain Rider

Update:. The dates are now June 26th through June 29th. I'll post up the hotel and campground info in the morning. 

• Like 1

OnaWingandaPrayer

dadgum I wont be re tired yet for 2 years . Oh well maybe # 2 or 3  if it takes hold.

• Like 1

rcameron
On 10/26/2019 at 11:53 PM, Mountain Rider said:

Update:. The dates are now June 26th through June 29th. I'll post up the hotel and campground info in the morning. 

Is it morning yet?? ...... Lol....... just teasing............ 

Mountain Rider

It is!

What I've got so far is a room with a single Queen bed, $67.11 per night which includes tax. This is their off season rate minus 10%. I'm waiting on a call from the GM, who may be able to improve on that. If they do, they will adjust the price for any reservations made prior. They don't have a lot of amenities, but it's a fairly new place, clean, and is right off the highway. They will start taking reservations on November 1st and will honor the rate for reservations made through February 15th. Mention you'll be there for The Best of the Great Northwest M&G, and they'll try and block our rooms together. If you need 2 Queen beds, it's another $10. Denny's and Outback Steakhouse are only about 200 feet away, and others such as Applebee's, Chilis, Jaker's, and The Bees Knees are within a very short ride if you don't want to walk.

The camp ground is Snake River RV Park & Campground. 1440 Lindsay Blvd., Idaho Falls, Idaho, 83402 208-523-3362 They advise starting to make reservations after January 1st, using their website. That site will show what's available and the pricing. You may make reservations there as long as there are spaces available. I ask about those with camp trailers such as the Aspen Classics and Leisure Lites. Those will be considered tents and not be charged as an RV. They recently went through a change of ownership, so there are some things still in the works. This is a nice park about 200 feet from the Motel 6 I spoke with. They have a pool and shower facilities. Tent spaces are $25 per night plus tax and cabins are $50 per night per night. There is a $35 cleaning deposit on the cabins, which is applied to the fee as long as you keep things clean. Idaho Falls does have a hospitality tax of 13%, plus the sales tax of 6%, so be aware of those if you stay in the campground. Again ,I'm hoping to hear from their GM as well in hopes of improving the rates. One other thing, I believe they may charge a non-refundable cancellation fee. It will be applied to your site fee, but may be forfeited if you're a no show. Sorry, I just don't want anyone getting blindsided.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Here's some of the other information about what we're trying to put together.  I'll copy or update this as I do the on the other forum.

Well, here we go, version 2.0. Based on some discussion with a couple members from Idaho, I'm going to adjust the dates. If anything locally comes up, I'll just have to work around it. It is what it is, and like the GWRRA letter indicated, you can't please or accommodate everyone, so I'll try and accommodate as many as possible. I also want to provide plenty of time for folks who may want to ride in to be able to plan ahead. Capt. Bob, this may help with your little dilemma.

Dates will be 26, 27, 28, and 29 June. Earlier in the month we still see some rain and cooler weather. These dates are warmer without being brutal, and although rain is always a possibility, the chances of getting soaked are less likely. I added a day so as to accommodate arrival/meet and greet/check-in for camp grounds and hotels on Friday, rides on Saturday and Sunday, then depart on Monday.

Saturday's ride I'm thinking a ride to West Yellowstone and the Yellowstone Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center. The cost is $15, $14 if you're over 62. Lunch afterward, followed by a bit of sight seeing and souvenir shopping. Anyone desiring to go into the Park can group up for a ride up to Old Faithful. If you have a National Parks Pass or the Senior Lifetime Pass, entrance is free. I believe the motorcycle pass is $30 and good for 7 days. Then return to Idaho Falls for dinner and lies of the day.

Sunday's ride I've considered traveling North of Rexburg and following Hwy 33 to Driggs, then over Teton Pass for a bit of twist and turns, South on Hwy 26 through Hoback Junction to Alpine, Wyoming, and along Palisades Reservoir for the return trip. I haven't planned any special lunch stop, but there are several places along the route for something quick, including square ice cream cones in Irwin. Once again dinner and stories at the end of the day.

I plan on starting the rides about 9 o'clock so we have plenty of time. Side trips and sight seeing will be adjusted depending on interest and time. I want this to be fun for everyone and not a demand upon your time, so we'll be flexible.

I have a fire pit in the backyard, and was considering doing one of the evening dinners here as a BBQ, followed by BS'n around a fire. My way of saying thanks for showing up.

Beyond that, I still need to get with the camp ground and hotels to see if I can work some good rates. Well, there you have it, hope to see you here.

As a side note, if weather or whatever else should make one of the planned rides not work out, I can also change one to Craters of the Moon with a lunch stop at Pickles Place for lunch. We've got backup.

Mountain Rider

Just an FYI, please don't make any reservations yet.  The hotel is now telling me the price they quoted is wrong and shouldn't have been quoted the way it was.  I'm meeting with the GM to vent a bit and try to work this out.  I've also gone to a couple other hotels to see what they have to offer.