Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Wrecit

Owning my first bike

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

Wrecit

Have ridden off and on since late 80's but always others bikes. Well kids are grown and wife finally said its in the budget so looking at getting either a wing, venture, or voyager. Want a full farring because this will be daily driver rain cold or shine (will park it till they get the white stuff of the road of course)

Got a line on a 93 1500 wing for real cheap ($1400) with just over 100,000 bike is spotless but has what owner says is electrical problem with rear break lights. When you hit the breaks it shuts the engine down completely. The owners fix is he disconnected the wires to the break lights and all is good with the world. My buddies and I speculate the wire harness under the tank has rubbed raw and this is causing the short. Then again might be the computer but since it is fine with wires disconnected we think this is less likely.

Should I roll the dice? How much would the puter that controls break system cost? (I can easily do plug and play and general mechanics)

OnaWingandaPrayer

I have been looking at the schematic and I don't see a connection from the brake lights to the ignition. Brake light power is always on . The brake light relay receives it's control signal from the front or rear brake switch system, and can only close the brake relay  contact with ignition on. 

As to the price , 1400 is a nice price . For a well maintained Wing a 100k is normally a good reliable machine.

Sorry I cant offer much more to solve the problem.

terryj

The Gold Wings are very temperamental when it comes to voltage, normally any voltage below 9 volts will cause these bikes to to shut down. I'd be interested to see what happens to the voltage when the brakes are applied. It very well could be a short in the rear brakes causing a huge voltage drop thereby shutting down the bike. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,