Sign in to follow this  
Mountain Rider

On the road again!

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

Tomorrow we head out on 17 days of fun and adventure.  First night we'll be in Billings, Mt., followed by a run over Beartooth Pass on Sunday morning.  From there, we'll see where the front tire points us.   

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Day two found us over Beartooth Pass and spending the night in Livingston, Montana. Did lunch in Silvergate at the Log Cabin Cafe. They make an awesome burger!  31 years since my last trip here. 1988 I was fighting forest fires here and helping restore the water lines to the city water storage tank. 

Mammoth Hot Springs. We actually stopped some folks from Cali who were climbing over the barrier to get to a walkway below. They were standing right beside the sign that said "Fragile thermal area, Do Not Enter". They left in a huff, oh well. 

20190825_140724.jpg

20190825_131127.jpg

20190825_161606.jpg

• Like 2

terryj

Sounds like a fun ride, and you know, some people just can not read. I wonder just what part of "DO NOT ENTER" did they not understand. 

Mountain Rider

Day 3. Pretty bland day, we drove from Livingston,MT., to Missoula, MT. We spoke with a couple on a 2018 with an Aluma clone trailer......when we finally caught them. They passed us, and Leslie thought it would be fun to follow them for a while. I don't know what afterburner they had, but we were running 85 to 95 mph and weren't closing the gap. We finally caught them when they stopped for fuel. From there we rode straight on to Missoula. Spent the night in Motel 6, had dinner at McKenzie Pizza, and sacked out. 

Mountain Rider

Day4.........Sucked!!!!!!!!  Google lies!  According to Google, Missoula to Leavenworth, WA, is 389 miles and should only take 6 hours and 14 minutes. Left Missoula at 10:30, arrived in Leavenworth at 7:30. Odometer read 400 miles. The motel looked nice, but the AC didn't work and the Jacuzzi was out of order. The burger we had at Gustav's made up for it a little. The rest of the town is awesome. 

20190827_195719.jpg

20190827_202646.jpg

20190827_211823.jpg

20190827_203601.jpg

20190827_211743.jpg

Mountain Rider

Day 5 was much better, rode from Leavenworth to my brother's house in Selah, WA. Highway 97 was beautiful, and the ride through the Yakima Canyon amazing. We got settled in, cleaned up, and my dear Sister in law shoved a drink in my hand. Apparently, she shoved several drinks in my hand, because we had a family BBQ and I was the ultimate Chatty Kathy. Poured myself into bed and called it good. 

Mountain Rider

Day 6.......It rained, I worked on the bike, Leslie relaxed and did laundry. More family BBQ. 

Mountain Rider

Day 7..... A day for riding for everyone. My brothers and their wives were up and on the road, followed shortly by Leslie and I. We met up with Jluvs2dive and his friend, Greg at the summit of Chinook Pass. They took us into Mt. Rainier National Park, and up Sunrise, through fog, clouds, and mist. We enjoyed lunch at the snack bar, then headed back down. I've been having handling issues with Black Beauty, and thanks to John and Greg, and some good advice, we decided to cut our ride short and get it fixed. I had to run Leslie back up for a minute, and the clouds parted showing us the summit of Rainier. John, thanks a ton!  We got home and I tore into the steering. Yep, she was loose, so I snugged her up, got everything back together, and went for a short ride. Much better!  I'll get in there and do it right with a good bearing pack when we get home. Ride safe you guys, I owe you big time. 

20190830_140639.jpg

20190830_141240.jpg

20190830_141317.jpg

20190830_143848.jpg

• Like 1

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Another day in Packwood. 

20190901_175425.jpg

20190901_155044.jpg

20190901_130730.jpg

20190901_130735.jpg

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Like 1

terryj

Looks as if you have had a fun ride. 

Mountain Rider

Overall it's been very good. We've had a couple little foopas, but nothing major. Finally getting to meet some of you fine folks. Bend tonight, and up early for visit to Crater Lake, then on to Medford to visit a guy whose on the mend. :SmileyTooth:

terryj

Did you make it home okay, how was the ride

Mountain Rider

Hey, Terry!  Yeah, we made it home last night.  It turned into more of a race than sight seeing when we headed home.  The storm that night we visited you guys was exciting.  The weather report called for more of the same the next day, so although we wanted to ride a couple of the routes you told us about, we chickened out and headed straight up I-5, then East on 84, spending the night in Hood River.  Leslie forgot her camera in the trunk, so we missed some good shots of the wind surfers on the Columbia, but I was able to get some video of the river and a couple dams along the way.  Friday night we spent in Ontario, where we made some new friends.  A couple on a Harley pulled up just as I was parking.  Tim saw the Army Retired sticker on the front on our bike, and came over and thanked me for my service.  When I went inside, he approached me again and ask if I would accept a star I honor of my service.  He's a Patriot Guard rider, and these stars are from decommissioned flags that are to tattered to remain in service, so the stars are removed and passed out to service members across the country.  Of course I accepted, and we both stood there in the lobby in tears.  He and Cris are great people!  We joined them for drinks and some great conversation.  Unfortunately, they got bad news the next morning, as a friend of theirs was killed by an inattentive driver.  The driver only got a $35 ticket for inattentive driving. From there, we drove on home to Rigby.

Mountain Rider

Here's a few more pictures. 

20190904_151340.jpg

20190904_151212.jpg

20190904_151205.jpg

20190904_145121.jpg

20190904_151801.jpg

Mountain Rider
(edited)

20190905_201128.jpg

20190906_195333.jpg

20190907_073314.jpg

20190908_130637.jpg

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mountain Rider

All told, we rode 3472 miles, went through three National Parks, rode over 7 mountain passes, through five states, met two of our members (Jluvs2dive and terryj, thanks for all you did with and for us.  You guys are great!), and made a few new friends.  I don't know how we'll top this next year. 

terryj

How do top that, well, the rides just keep getting better. That's really cool about the star, isn't it amazing about the people we meet along the way, one never knows who you'll run into next. It's really sad to hear about their friend, my heart goes out to them. Hopefully we'll see you and Leslie next summer. 

Mountain Rider

We look forward to seeing you again, our door's always open. Looks like we got home just in time. 

20190908_155145.jpg

20190908_155306.jpg