Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Scott in PA

Wild West Trip Cut Short After Crash

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Scott in PA

Ahhh, the ebb and flow of life. Our Big Western Adventure involved trailering the GW's from  Western PA to Rapid City, riding the Black Hills, the trailering on to Kalispell MT for Glacier, Banff, and beyond.
We made it to Rapid City and rode Mt Rushmore, Spearfish canyon and the Black Hills. Great day! After a whole day in the truck we got into Kalispell with enough light left to get the bikes off the trailer and ready for Glacier the next morning.
Arriving at Glacier at 8:15, we made all of five miles when my riding partner, and leader, wandered off the edge of the brand new pavement at 35mph and caught the soft gravel and he was toast. He flipped into the ditch. 
Here's what reinforces your trust in humans. By the time I pulled even with him, turned off my bike and removed my helmet, an ER nurse traveling in the other direction lept out of her car and was at his side. She was there in no more than 30 seconds, tops. As we talked to him and assessed, and EMT arrived.... less than a minute after the crash. Within four minutes, there were two ER Physicians in the small gathering, one of whom took over the assessment until the Ranger arrived, himself an EMT. Likening the experience to crashing at a hospital, it bordered on unreal. Talk about Karma.... my friend's son just graduated last week from his residency as.... you guessed it.... an ER Physician.
So my friend is a bit banged up, had some cuts and aches, and it turns out an ankle fracture (treated once we were back in PA). We were able to winch the bike onto the flatbed, align the flatbed up to our trailer, transfer his bike then load my bike. What started out at 8:30 ended at 2:30 as we pulled out of Kalispell on our way home. 
Trip tally: 4510 miles driven in the truck, Five hotel nights, One good day of riding, One totaled Goldwing and One broken ankle.
Happy ending: we went and picked up his new (used) Goldwing yesterday, I drove it home for him and we've already made plans to start the trip up next year where we left off!

Mt Rushmore and Goldwing.jpg

Goldwing Tow.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Surprise 1

Mountain Rider

Scott, sorry to see your trip cut short and your friends accident.  Glad to hear all of you survived to ride another day.  Good Karma is a wonderful thing.

OnaWingandaPrayer

That's sad to hear your vacation was scuttled, but glad to hear your friend had no serious injury. He was fortunate to have such expert medical attention immediately. I hope his insurance treats him decent. Prayers for his healing and may your travels next year be much better.

Jluvs2dive

I'm sorry your trip was cut short but I'm thankful your friend was not hurt worse!  If you don't mind saying, what caused your friend to wander off of the pavement?

I was just in Glacier myself July 21-24.  It was my second time there but I was solo this time.  I really enjoy travelling by myself sometimes.

John

Scott in PA

John, he's the first to admit he was just not paying attention....
He easily has 10,000 hours more riding experience than me, and is always our group leader. A position he will re-assume when he returns!

• Like 1

Jluvs2dive

Thanks Scott!  It's sometimes easy to get distracted, done it plenty of times just was more fortunate with the results not ending up in a crash.  Again I'm glad your friend came out of it as well as he did!!

John

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,