Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Gill

Brake/Turn Signal Electrical Problem

21 posts in this topic Last Reply

Daniel Gill

Hello Everyone,

I have a problem with my 2001 Honda Goldwing. When I engage the front or rear brake my turn signal lights in the dash come on, and the turn signals (all 4) light up very dim. Like some kind of back feed problem. Sent it to Honda and they could not figure out what was causing it. The bike is un ridable at this point. I was told it may be the wiring harness going bad and I may have to replace it. God I hope not. Thanks for reading, I really appreciate it.

OnaWingandaPrayer

This seems most likely to be a bad ground in the system. I am not sure but I think the main grounds are located under the  fuel tank. Other may be able to direct you more closely to this ground point.

I have seen a bad bulb on the rear light up the front bulb and dash bulb on the same side .

Do you have a trailer wire harness/5to4 wire converter? If so thats one spot I would look at diconnecting and see if the problem is fixed. 

bcihil

Check the large connector under the seat on the right side of the bike, behind the relay box. It may be slightly buried in the frame. check to see if the  connections are burned. All of the ground connections to the rear lights pass through this connector.

You can bypass these wires by running a jumper around the connector.

Mountain Rider

If you need to access the main ground it gets a bit involved, but well worth the effort. You'll have to remove the seat, shelter, and the fuel tank. The main ground is located under the tank on the frame.  Cleaning that connection helps, running another ground cable from the battery to that ground lug make a great difference. Good luck. 

• Like 1

Daniel Gill

OMG! I really appreciate the advice. I figured it was a ground somewhere. I am currently relocating from Richmond VA to Mobile Alabama. I took the bike into my local Honda dealer and they did not fix it. But said I probably need a new wiring harness. From looking over blogs I have read were grounds have been an issue or the connector under the seat. Did not really know where to start. The bike is a 2001, fully loaded for that year but only has 18,000 miles on it and I don't want to purchase a new bike. When purchasing the motorcycle I requested a Honda Shop manual to go with it, with some himming and hooing they did it. So I do have the Honda Shop manual to go with the bike. I will start looking through it building a repair manual for this specific repair. Thanks for reaching out!

tamathumper

I recommend also hitting up YouTube for videos on how to remove the shelter and the gas tank.

Or, you might purchase videos from Fred Harmon on how to do most of the major maintenance items on the GL1800.

Sometimes it's helpful to watch the procedure, especially when it comes to figuring out how to unlatch wiring connectors while they're buried under the console.

Mountain Rider

Something else to check while you have the shelter and fuel tank out, take a look at the area around the air filter.  Critters seem to enjoy that area, so check the air filter to make sure it's clean, and check the wiring for chew marks.  If you find things chewed up, depending on how bad, some good solder work and heat shrink tubing can go a long way toward correcting the problem.  

bcihil

And tighten the hose clamps on the Y pipe under the front of the fuel tank.

If you are going after the grounds under there, remove all the wires and clean the connections with a wire brush.

There is also a ground connection on the right side under the side engine cover. Be careful with this one, it is a brass bolt and will snap if you apply too much torque.

Daniel Gill

I really appreciate the technical advice!!!! Sent this motorcycle to Honda and they could not help. Been on this site for 3 days, and very kind people have sent me several recommendations. This site is hands down the best forum I have run across. Joined one other and did not get any suggestions at all. Here is a view from the dash turn signal lights and the rear lights. Getting like a half burn feed back. The front signals are doing the same. Thanks again.

IMG_6387.jpeg

IMG_6388.jpeg

Mountain Rider

Hey, Daniel

I know you said you're relocating, but thought I'd check and see what you found.  Any luck?

Guest Thanks for checking back!

I have almost loaded my Uhaul and pretty much have the Pod loaded for Mobile Alabama. The Goldwing and the KLR are in the driveway. Loading them last. I am going to take a day before I leave to dedicate to the Goldwing. Was hoping to use it when I get down there. My inspection is out here and can’t get it reinspected because of the issue. I will follow back up in a couple a days after I start troubleshooting. Thanks for the reply!

Daniel Gill

I have almost loaded my Uhaul and pretty much have the Pod loaded for Mobile Alabama. The Goldwing and the KLR are in the driveway. Loading them last. I am going to take a day before I leave to dedicate to the Goldwing. Was hoping to use it when I get down there. My inspection is out here and can’t get it reinspected because of the issue. I will follow back up in a couple a days after I start troubleshooting. Thanks for the reply!

1AA1968E-CFB8-4D61-AFA1-F6F6B52D8093.jpeg

42AA2DF7-F45E-412F-AF42-756ADB5483AA.jpeg

• Like 2

OnaWingandaPrayer

Safe travel and best wishes in the relocating.  We will be here when your set up at the new place.

• Like 2

MotorcyclingHam

I've got the identical symptoms. The ground was jumpered around right after I bought the bike.

I'm headed to the garage to check under the seat again on my bike. The bike does have  199,130 miles though. I'll report what I find.

• Like 1

Guest Daniel J. Gill

I am in the process of moving from Richmond Va to Mobile Alabama but I have not loaded the bike yet. I may pull the seat and check the harness and maybe use a jumper on the ground to see if the helps. I only have approximately 18,000 miles on this bike. Was surprised to be experiencing this problem already. I really do appreciate the help. Took it to Honda and the wanted to sell me a new wiring harness. I think It somewhere around 2,500-3,500. Thank you!

Daniel Gill

am in the process of moving from Richmond Va to Mobile Alabama but I have not loaded the bike yet. I may pull the seat and check the harness and maybe use a jumper on the ground to see if the helps. I only have approximately 18,000 miles on this bike. Was surprised to be experiencing this problem already. I really do appreciate the help. Took it to Honda and the wanted to sell me a new wiring harness. I think It somewhere around 2,500-3,500. Thank you!

was not signed in when I responded

Techdude2000

Did you get this narrowed down yet?  It’s most likely the green wire in C15 under the seat.

• Like 1

Guest Robert

I have a 1997 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade GL1500.  The problem I'm having is similar to the fellow above.  My Turn Signal indicators on the Dash light up when I start the engine.  Both lights stay on and when I turn either right or left turn signal, they work fine.  The main problem i'm having is when the both turn signal lights are on in the dash.  When I pull up my reverse handle and the R lights up on the dash.  When I push the start button on the handle bars.  The rear wheel on moves about 1" or 2" then nothing.  Today after ridding it a little.  The turn signal on the dash went out but when i pulled the handle on the frond brake they came on again.  When I got back into my driveway, the lights were still on so I pulled the front brake leaver a few times and the turn signal lights on the dash went out.  I put the bike reverse handle up and the R came on in the dash.  The i pushed the start button and it backed the bike up when ever I pushed the button.  Later on after I took another ride the lights stayed off on the dash but when I got back home.  The same thing again the turn signal lights on the dash was on and could not get them to go off even after pull the front and back brake leavers..  

Would like to know if anyone out their has a similar problem that might be able to help me.

MotorcyclingHam

Between catching a viral bug and family duties, I'm just getting back to work on my 1800. The ground wire under the seat was jumpered around the connector years ago. It still is grounded to the frame. I have pulled three of the four light pods and all appear to be good. I removed the isolator for the trailer lights from the system with no effect. In the morning I'm going to remove the flasher from the brake light system. This is the second flasher I've had. The first failed causing failure of all brake lights. I installed the second one in the trunk lid attached only to the brake light in the  spoiler to avoid the previous failure mode. Perhaps that is not enough.

Has anyone had problems with the brake light flashers causing weird failure modes?

The problem I'm having is obviously causing cross connections between the turn signals and the brake lights.

Techdude2000

You should take an ohmmeter and verify the ground wire is still grounded.  I’ve seen these open up and leave the jumpered connector still ungrounded.  Also double check that the correct connector was jumpered, there’s two of them with the green ground wire and one feeds the spoiler light, while the other feeds all of the rest of the system.  The one that can cause this issue is C15, gray 14 pin connector.  The wrong one is C14 and only has 12 pins.  They are both under the seat.