Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
scubaj514

HELP

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

scubaj514

I have a 2002 gl1800 goldwing, and the engine seal / bearing that comes out of the motor going to the final drive is starting to leak oil pretty bad. Can anybody tell me is this job doable to fix on my own. According to the service manual it's called the engine shaft that goes to the drive shaft.

OnaWingandaPrayer

scuba , I have not had to do any work on this part of my bike.

I have been looking in my service manual and the parts fiche. If I understand your leak is at the rear of the engine where the final drive shaft mates to the engine . That shaft seal is part# 91204-MN5-005  (28X48X9)   oil seal. The seal is fitted into a short housing held to the engine with 3 bolts. This extension housing is sealed to the engine with an O-ring , part# 91316-PE7-730*   (62.4X3.1)  O-ring . The astrisk means this is a superceded part number .

I can not get to my bike at the moment to remove the right side cover and see what kind of space this work area would be.

It looks to be a tough spot to work in ( isn't it always on these bikes).At the rear of the bike, you will need to be on the centerstand, remove rear wheel , then the final drive assy , pull the drive shaft back . At the front end of the swing arm you will need to get the  drive shaft/U-joint dust boot off and out of the way to access the seal/Oring which you believe are the leak source. I think the rear master cyclinder is going to block some of the access. If you can get to the three extension housing bolts and remove it then the seal should push out and replace. 

Hopefully more thoughts on the way from others.

scubaj514

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it.

scubaj514

OnaWingandaPrayer

that is what i am referring to as the extension housing. I am not sure if your photo is a 1500 Valkyrie or the newer 1800 Valk . they may be different parts , though look the same. i any case, the oring and oil seal are what you need once you get access to them.  

Are you sure the oil is not from some other source? My thought is if the seal is leaking your drip should be coming from the dust boot . If you have notdone so , Perhaps a wash of the area to be sure of the origin .

scubaj514
(edited)

Not 100% sure, if I look where the rear brake light, cruise control switch is I see oil running down, just forward and above it.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,