Sign in to follow this  
sarge1952

at a loss

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

sarge1952

Greetings 

Has anyone ever went from heel to toe shifter to OEM on a GL 1500 ?

OnaWingandaPrayer
(edited)

Hello Sarge . Yes , that was done the day I brought home my 94SE . I cant stand the boards.

You will need:

left and right operator foot pegs, pivot pin, return spring. (should be readily available on ebay)

24710-MT2-000  Pedal Gearshift

24711-MN5-000  Arm gearshift

Its been a number of years since I did this . I think the front lower cowling, the header pipe coverback to the muffler need to come off, to install the arm. If your handy with tools and want to try I also think I have removed the Arm without removing all the panels. But it was a bit tricky reaching in remove the ARM pinch bolt.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

sarge1952

These are the parts I got of E-Bay ???

me and bike parts 001.jpg

OnaWingandaPrayer

OK, the part in the center with the offset needs to go thru the lower(exhuast cover) to the shaft coming out of the trans (what it is attached to in the photo). Then you will need the pedal to attach to that.

The part on the left and the short part in the center are internal . The part on the right is the brake pedal shaft . You should not need that. The brake pedal ?  umm not sure if yours will need to change . Mine only had a part bolted to the original pedal to raise the height .

sarge1952

No the brake pedal from the old heel to toe still works and once I put the peg back on it it will be just fine, ok so Ill figure it out from here guess I need to start tearing covers off to figure out how this stuff attaches lol Thanks for the heads up 

DougW

When I took off the heel toe shifter on mine I did not do anything with the internal parts.  I took a bolt out of the shifter mechanism which clamped it to the shift stub that sticks out the side of the engine and removed another bolt or two which held it to the bike, it was several years ago so I am not absolutely sure how it mounted.  Then it was simply a matter of sliding a new stock shift lever on the stub and it was good to go.  I did not use any of the parts shown in your photo, only a stock shift lever.

It is possible you have a different setup than I did but it would seem odd to me that any of the internals would have been swapped out.

OnaWingandaPrayer

Your probably correct Doug. thinking back it is not logical that the heal toe would replace any more than the possibly the toe pedal section. In fact I think some use the original part and the heel/toe engages the stock pedal.

If Sarge could post a photo of whats on his bike might help us understand better.

sarge1952

I will do that today I am working on it as soon as I finish this post

sarge1952

GOOD NEWS !!! All I need is the shifter lever and a set of oil seals and I am ready to go vrooooommm once I got everything unbolted and dropped so I could see in there low and behold there is the shifter shaft !!!!!!!!!!!! 

OnaWingandaPrayer

If your going to replace the oil seal , you might want to consider installing a "shifter brace" available at Cyclemax .com . It is an aftermarket device that helps stabilize that long "dogleg" shaft . 

sarge1952

Ok torn down have everything off can some one tell me what size the cinch bolt is at the shifter extension to get to the oil seal???

OnaWingandaPrayer

If you mean the wrench size , I believe its 8mm which happens to be just about exzactly the same as 5/16 .  if you mean the the bolt thread size it's 6mmx20mm,1.00 thread pitch