Sign in to follow this  
Monkeytrucker

Tent repair

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

We have pulled our Aspen Classic for well over 30,000 miles and we, Estella and myself, have slept in it for at least 6 months.  That does not include all of the time our family has spent in it while it has been set up as a 2nd or 3rd bedroom here at our home.

Even though the canvas sides have been treated they have started developing tears on the places where stuff pushes against the canvas or where "the Bride" pushes against the canvas and not on where the tubes inside are located.  We have been using Gorilla tape but decided we needed to make a better repair.

We got some white Flexsteel and using a harbor freight catalog to edge the spray we applied a base coat.  When it got tacky we pushed a fiberglass screen patch into it over the spot that the hinge puts the most pressure and then sprayed another layer of Flexsteel on it.  In the lesser places, we embedded heavy weave cloth and sprayed over it.  We gave it a 3rd coat covering a larger area.  Might not look the greatest as the Flexsteel is a brighter white but hopefully it will extend the use of the camper until it outlasts us or we have the canvas replaced.

The camper owes us nothing.  In fact, if we figured 30 days a month for 6 months it comes to 180 nights and that times $70 a night average motel cost it comes to $12,600.  We paid around $4,500 for the camper and have only had to spend $100 for the second set of tires.  Some will say rent to stay should be taken out so is most of our camping has been done in places where our senior pass gets us half price, which we will average it with the full price places, that would be 180 times $15 and that is $2,700 for rent.  $12,600 minus $2,700 make the difference $9,900.  The camper has been well worth it.  We are going to do an interesting repair on the tonneau cover where mice chewed a hole in the side of it at Clinton Lake last year.

We are considering taking the camper and hiding out at some campground for several days while recovering from surgery.  The Bride figures that would prevent myself from trying to do things I should not be doing.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

We spent two nights at Opossum Creek ACOE camp ground at Lake Shelbyville located at Shelbyville, IL.  Funny thing is that with the several people who stopped to look at the Aspen because the combination of the Fiat 500 and the camper was too hard to not ask about, absolutely no one mentioned the FlexSteel repair on the canvas.  We have some clear flex steel and plan on spraying the locations on the blue canvas that takes a beating from all of the folding and unfolding.  We will spray it on the inside.  Might be a great idea to protect those canvas pinch spots at a proactive before holes or tears.

We gave out the last of our Aspen brochures.  I am sure that since 2015 we have got a couple or more Aspens sold.  Kind of fun camping in one surrounded by $50k fifth wheel campers and $1,000,000 motor homes.  Did see a couple of toy hauler type campers that did not haul toys.  Kitchen, wood interior, water supply and water heaters, queen size beds and the back door opened up to a floor to ceiling pantry and storage space.  

Estella thinks that setting up camp with the Aspen takes too long.  Mainly because we have to make up the bed and other minor set up.  Got her watching all of the campers coming in on Friday night and all of the work they had to do to set up on not perfectly level sites.  Sure the motor homes have power jacks and automatic leveling, but they have to mess around unhooking the car being towed, maybe the boat being towed behind the car, hook up the sewage line, water line, electric cables and etc. which still takes time.  

However she still thinks she might like a hard shell camper.  One of the toy hauler units the guy remodeled himself sure got her fancy.  But then we have been seeing older 5th wheel campers being priced at very reasonable low prices.  Frankentruck could handle one with no trouble.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Think I might have her convinced that being the Aspen is and has paid for itself we should simply stay with it.

Ghost Rider 2

speaking of Aspen I not sure where they went.  There is now a car lot where they used to be in El Paso Ill.  I heard a rumor about Roanoke Ill.  but no one seems to know if they are or not.

Galaxyhunter

Last year I stopped at the gas station across the street from them in El Paso on my way to NASR11.  It looked like there was no activity then.

Monkeytrucker

put in a email to Brady.  Hoping to hear from him.  We are trying to make up our mind weather to re canvas our Classic or try to find a cheap white box camper.  Personally I like the idea of making the Aspen like new.  We get 30 mpg pulling it with the Fiat 500 where as we would have to have a much more gas using pulling unit such as Frankentruck.  And the Aspen behind the Fiat looks neat and in the camp grounds it generates a lot of looks.

We just got back from our 2nd weekend in a row at Lake Shelbyville.  Was going to stay till Monday but the weather was looking bad.  It is raining up there and not long after we got home it started here and we have over 3/4" so far.  Was a right decision to come home. 

Monkeytrucker

Brady answered my email.  Yes he closed the El Paso location and moved everything to his farm location.  The cost of the El Paso location was just  too high.  Still in business.  We are talking about a new canvas.  He has Orange & Black or Burgundy in stock.  The Bride is voting for the Burgundy.  I might like the Orange and Black as it was my high school colors.  However I think she might have the better choice.

Now is simply the question, white box camping or Aspen camping.  We did see a toy hauler fixed up into a really nice camper but that was WAY MORE than we want or could spend.  Our neighbor has a old 5th wheel cattle hauling trailer I would like to fix up into a camper.  "THE BRIDE FLATLY SAYS NO!"  I think it would be neat, hang a couple of cow tails out the side, line the inside and turn it into a camper.  Sure would be an interesting camper.

The other thing would be to build the 5th wheel flat bed trailer I have in mind, set the Aspen on it like John and Nancy did, make space for the electric scooters and the Fiat 500 and pull it all with Frankentruck.  Hey, one has to have dreams.  But first I want to move the building to its new location, swap dodge truck cab and beds around to make 2 out of 3 road able, weld up a couple of big metal art objects, and ... so on.  Of course, some camping.

Mysticfour

Been a couple weeks since I have been here, I was planning to go out to El Paso today to look.  Called 1st to make sure someone was there, recording said to call trailmaster for info. When I called they gave me the same information. 

Said they would have him call me so I can go look at what he has in Roanoke.  Said he still has the demo there , said he will probably call me tomorrow,  Saturday,  if I wanted to come see. So hopefully I hear back so I can look at it