Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
mikeadair

Fuel issue

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

mikeadair

I recently purchased a 1996 GL 1500 SE that had sat awhile. I would run on choke, but no hesitation or bogging. I put some seafoam in the gas tank (1.5 oz) and sprayed some carb cleaner directly into the carbs. I got it running (idling) off choke, but it was surging. I think there was one clogged idle jet. I then sprayed a lot of carb cleaner (soaked) the carbs and held my palm over each carb to manually choke them and try to get them to suck some of the dirt out. I let it sit for awhile with carb cleaner. When I came back an hour or so later to try it again, there was no fuel entering the carbs. I checked the fuel pump for power with a check light and it lit up. I disconnected the fuel line from the fuel filter and ran it to a cup while turning the engine over. A seemingly small amount of fuel was coming out of the hose....trickling...kind of. It filled the hose up to the filter, but seems to be taking a long time. Before this I also rebuilt the petcock and put a new fuel filter in. Any ideas? This is my first post. Thanks in advance.

mikeadair

Just went out and tried running the fuel pump hose into a cup again. It seems to be pumping enough volume. Then I took the gas cap off, put on full choke and it started for about 20 seconds. Would die when I gave it gas. Weird.

OnaWingandaPrayer

The "choke" lever is actually an enrichment circuit . It allows more fuel to be drawn. Is it possible when you had it running at full choke that it flooded and stalled . Will it run with no choke?

mikeadair

May have stalled when I was loading it with carb cleaner and flooded, but that was last Sunday. It won't start since. I see no gas going into the carbs. It will run on spray.

Currently playing with it. I tried taking off the gas cap and put on full choke. It started for about 15-20 secs twice, but would stall, if I try to give it gas.

I'm checking all the hoses one at a time from the fuel pump. I got up to the petcock and fuel was being pumped to there. No fuel coming out of the petcock. I just rebuilt it, but I guess I'll take it apart and have a look. It's not leaking.

Some kind of blockage, I'm thinking.

Thanks for the input.

OnaWingandaPrayer

I believe your refering to the diaphragm fuel cut off . You can bypass that for testing. The pump should fill the carbs. If you have a vacuum leak to the cut off valve it will not open and allow fuel to the carb bowls. If I recall correctly the vacuum hose for the cut off valve is run from the rear intake runner on the left side of the engine. That hose has a sharp bend and is known to split . That could be some of the problem.

mikeadair

Thanks. I'll look into that tonight.

mikeadair

I bypassed the dyaphragm fuel cut off and it fired up. I can't find any splits in the vacuum line. I see the one you're talking about entering the manifold. Looks OK. Should I replace all of them to be sure?

OnaWingandaPrayer

Do you have a vacuum pump, like many folks use to bleed brakes. If you do , you could use that to pull vacuum on the petcock/ cutoff valve. Then you know the valve is operating correctly and you need to find where the vacuum is leaking. I'll look to see if I have a diagram of the vacuum lines and be sure I told you the correct line to check.

mikeadair

I don't have a vacuum pump, but I put the petcock back in the fuel line and the bike still runs.....poorly. I currently have the air box off. That has some vacuum lines that are now disconnected. Could that effect it?

I'll try to pick up a vacuum pump this weekend. Is it simple - like a ball you squeeze with a hose on it?

OnaWingandaPrayer

The pump I am thinking of has a pistol grip . It comes with a catch canister and tubing, adapters for bleeding brakes. PepBoy,AutoZone etc should have them . Some stores may even have a loaner (for a deposit).

OnaWingandaPrayer

I was able to locate the tubing map and confirm by looking on an engine , but my book and engine are 93/94 models. Your 96 may be different. 

What I found is tube(hose) #12 from the vacuum shut off valve comes down to a steel pipe manifold on the left side of the engine. At the rear left intake runner 3 steel tubes run behind the runners. These steel tubes go forward. #12 branches off of a "T" at the center left intake runner. That short hose is #1 and makes a "U" turn to connect to the center left intake runner. Forward of the "T" this line goes to a one way valve(checkvalve) , then to an accumulator tank. Again this is info from a 93/94 service book/engine.

mikeadair

Thank you for your help, Mr. OnaWingandaPrayer

So I've been working on this bike for four months or so......

I have it running pretty decently, but still have a problem.

I have a slight surge of 250 rpm after warm up. I've noticed the slide on the right side carb is not moving when I "juice" the throttle. Probably connected.

So far I've cleaned the carbs - high and low speed jets and idle jets - blew the carbs out with air and sprayed a lot of carb cleaner and sea foam in them.

Rebuilt the vacuum shut off valve. New carb boots. New fuel filter. Replaced a number of vacuum hoses. Checked many more. I bought a vacuum brake bleeder, like you recommended, and have been using that.

Problem seems to be with just the right side carb now. I think if I could get the slider to function, that may fix it.

I'm very close. Any more ideas?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,