Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
Mountain Rider

After market brake rotors

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Has anybody run them on your 1800?  My front rotors are looking kinda grooved up, and I'm considering replacing them.  OEM are rather spendy and seem to collect brake material causing some chatter from time to time.  I've looked at some after market rotors that are not only less expensive, but are vented in such a way that they should run cool and clean out easier.  Anybody with some first hand experience?  If so, what brand or brands?

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mountain Rider
(edited)

And I'm gonna say the answer is no.  :puzzled-smiley-emoticon:

I'll be ordering the new ones in a day or so, and getting them installed so they're ready for our upcoming trip.  I'll let you know my impressions after some serious riding.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OnaWingandaPrayer

umm , your probably correct. Perhaps at the place thats all 1800 all the time ?

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Point well taken.  :SmileyTooth:

Ghost Rider 2

OEM  rotors and OEM pads.  my opinion.  Aftermarket pads seem to create way to much dust and brakes seem little spongey with them.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

I looked at those as well as a set on eBay.  There's a guy on that other forum that has used the ones from eBay on his last three Goldwings, mainly for looks, but swears by their looks and performance.  He has a pair of OEM's with 60 miles on them which he took off to accommodate the ones from eBay, for sale for $395 shipped.  So, I've got options.  Right now I'd run tin foil pie plates on the front if it would fix the blasted chatter.  You know the story, bleed it this way, bleed it that way, follow this procedure, follow that procedure, use both front and rear brakes together, just use the fronts, use these pads, don't use them...….it's annoying.  Thanks you guys for the suggestions and the leads, much appreciated.  

Ghost Rider 2

I use oem pads and rotors.  I use a vacuum bleeder.  Just make sure to bleed left front caliper off of rear master cylinder first thing.  I have never had an issue. Have plus or minus a few miles of 300,000 on Goldwings.  OEM parts have never caused any issues.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Well, I went a route that didn't loose me any riding time.  I removed the OEM rotors and will have them sent back to be resurfaced.  In the mean time, I installed a set of after market wave rotors, cleaned and serviced the calipers, and installed a new set of pads.  After doing the "Rocky" bleed with some nice new fluid, I got everything back together and took a test ride.  Super smooth braking, no shudder, no vibration, and no fear of having the front chatter when braking through a corner.  Once I get the OEM rotors back, they'll be there should or when I need them.  

OnaWingandaPrayer

So the cool wave rotors win you over ,  Super!

Now I have got to find this "Rocky" bleed thread.

Mountain Rider

Mike, if you do a search on the 1800 forum, it will pop up many times.  In addition to following the book procedure, it adds two steps, which include the banjo on top of the secondary master cylinder, and the banjo on the upper left front of the frame where the hard line from the rear links to the front.  Air gets trapped in those locations since they're high points in the system, and causes the pulse that creates the front brakes to chatter.  

OnaWingandaPrayer
(edited)

Thanks Dave . I did find a few threads on the subject.

I just need a clone so I can work for me and work for the man . Perhaps I could catch up on stuff then. Heck If making clones , lets have one more to take care of the honey do  list . LOL

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Feeling kinda dumb, so I revisited every caliper today.  With all the new parts, cleaning, and bleeding, I completely spaced the slides on the calipers. :dont-know-sm:

We leave on vacation in about 2 weeks and I don't have any desire to worry about anything.  I recleaned everything, pulled the brackets and cleaned and lubed the slide pins and their pockets (this was a really good thing as the pins were gummy, especially on the rear), double checked the spring hardware, put caliper grease on the pad backing plates, and reassembled the whole thing.  Hated doing this twice, but now I'm happy!  Took her for a test ride, and she stops on a dime, nice and smooth.

:thumbs-up:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,