Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
scraper

Started under the wheel\ shinkotire

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

scraper

I had started it with how much trouble it was to change a rear tire on an 84 ten hour altold. I did a little looking and went with the Shinko  r230 it was wearing a Dunlap elite 291. It was almost bald and getting hard. Really slippery in the wet. The Shinko says that it will carry the weight of these couches so I went cheap. But after the fight i had getting the wheel on and off. I may be paying the price the next time when I need a new rubber. With how long it took to change this one.

As far as ride it does have a different feel to it than what the Dunlap had. As far as ride in the wet I'll have to wait till next week. Had to drive the truck yesterday and missed a big gully washer. It doesn't mind the tar snakes we have a lot of them here. And the only other thing is how long will it last i would hope I get 7-9 thousand miles. I have a thing with hard tires and old asphalt it can be like ice when wet. Which is no fun coming out of a turn.

on a side note does anybody change there own tires like I do. How and what do ya use to break the bead. I use a vice to squire the rubber to pop the bead. Have wanted the make press bar to do that just don't have an idea of how long of a bar and where to set the vertical push rod that will break the bead.

OnaWingandaPrayer

What was the difficulty with mounting the new tire? Or was it a combination of removing the old and installing new. If it was winter(cold) that surely makes it more difficult. If that was some of the issue next time could you have them ( new and old) stored in a warmer space at least till your ready to work on them.  

Some folks use a large C clamp to break the bead.

I purchased a used tire machine I found on craigslist. Its a great help, especially with the autotire I use. Even with the machine I put a new tire in the sun for several hrs before mounting and i use armorall sparingly as a lubricant .

scraper

Time consumption was all the stuff that has to come off and raise the bike off the centre stand to be able to roll the wheel out. Getting the tire off the rim was the easy part. Putting it on was even easier put some Teflon on the bead and only had to use the spoons for the last 6 inches to get over the rim. And it helped when I put the air to it and set the bead. The last tire on the cb900 I had the pressure to 100 lbs before it popped that was fun. All warm weather two weeks or so ago which was nice. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,