Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
dwsonar

need help with intake

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

dwsonar

Someone may or may not have dropped a hose clamp into my intake manifold. The magnetic retrieval tool I have is too big to get in there. So until I get another one, what advice can y'all give me? 

OnaWingandaPrayer

Ouch :( . Normally you could flip it over and drop it back out, but that wont work here. ;) 

A small magnet with a hole in it, tied to a small wire or string? Problem is on the 1500 you have to be sure you clear all 3 runners from each of the two points of entry. Do you have a scope type viewing camera? I'd spend a lot of time looking all over the top of the engine . so many nooks and crannies on a 1500 to loose the clamp in.

Sadly, even if you remove the intake manifolds it may not be internal but you could find it on the block with the manifolds off. :( Are you sure its not on the old hose?

dwsonar

it slipped off when I was trying to push it down the hose. Never saw which way it went, just that it was no longer there. I've been looking but can't find it.The carbs were almost on, trying to start the hose before pushing into place, so they may have blocked it from going in, but I just don't know

Ghost Rider 2

If you can find someone with a SnapOn bore scope they are small diameter and will probably fit down the runner.   Harbor Freight ones are biger tube and bulky may not fit in very well.

tamathumper

You have a couple of options.

1.  You can get a USB-powered borescope for a few bucks on eBay or Amazon, they come in a variety of gooseneck lengths and diameters, and most have lights on them.  That will give you a better view into the cavities in question.

2.  You can magnetize something that reaches where you need it to - https://lifehacker.com/magnetize-a-screwdriver-in-seconds-and-never-lose-anoth-1736622524 - Pro tip: If the hose clamp is real stainless steel, unfortunately real stainless steel isn't magnetic.  Take a fridge magnet with you to Home Depot the next time you're shopping for a "stainless steel" appliance or grill.  If it sticks, keep moving on.

3.  You can use a strong magnet *outside* the cavity in question to locate or move the object.

4.  You can try using compressed air, vacuum, or a combination of both, but only if there's no danger of moving the mystery object into a *worse* location.

• Like 1

dwsonar

After trying three tools, finally got one to go farther down. Didn't pull anything out though. Guess the next step is pulling the intake manifolds.

OnaWingandaPrayer

Mountain Rider

Hey, Dave

Any luck?

dwsonar

New update.

Yesterday I put it almost all back together. Stopped at times and started it to be sure it was still running. After getting the airfilter and cover on, it seem to be running fine but still sounds like the cover is off. That loud, air sucking, carburetor noise. I must have missed something or maybe a hose came off during reassembly. Going to start looking this morning.

One thing I noticed. The carb box, as it screws down on the carbs, seems pretty difficult. Didn't really want to set down the way I thought it would. That might be where my problem is.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,