Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Mountain Rider

Wire it or carry it?

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

I've been thinking about installing a USB charging port on my bike lately, but have begun to consider another possibility.  I'm starting to think a portable charge pack may be a better option.  I can charge it off the existing port in the left pocket, then in turn, use it to charge our phones and ear buds.  This would mean fewer wires run under the seat and through the shelter, and if I get one with the solar panel built in, I'm covered even if the bike dies.   What really got me thinking on this the CB.  I was looking at adding a CB to the bike, but as all of you know, the OEM is rather expensive, even used.  The antenna alone is about $100.  On a recent ride, I noticed couple of the guys discussing what channel to use, yet there were no CB's on their bikes.  When quizzed, the showed me their setup, a handheld CB clipped on their belt with an earbud and PTT switch clipped on their jacket.  The whole thing cost about the same as the antenna for the OEM, and they were able to talk to everyone in the group.  The added bonus was if they switched bikes, the radio was still available.  So, if you were looking to add similar options, would you wire it in or just carry it?

oldmopars

Well, I have done both and I really prefer having my bike wired, but I still carry a battery pack to.

The issue is, that the Sena S10, and maybe others too, will not charge from the battery pack. They do not draw enough and the battery pack shuts down thinking it is not connected. So, I have left my Sena plugged in all night while I sleep, thinking it will be charged in the morning only to find it is still dead.

If you have a "Always on" USB port on the bike, you can plug in the Sena and it draws so little that it will charge overnight and not effect the battery.

Now, my battery pack will charge my phone, IPad, Kindle, etc. just fine due to the higher load keeping the battery charging.

So, I have both. Good battery packs are getting cheaper and lighter. A USB plug on the bike is also cheap and easy to install.

Best of all worlds, 1 battery pack, one or more Ignition on plugs, at least one always on plug. This way you can charge while riding, charge when parked, and charge in your tent or at a restaurant.

Mountain Rider

Thanks, good points. I've got the ports here and could do it quickly, I just keep thinking KISS. I've got some rainy days ahead to think about it. 

terryj

The portable CB is a good idea, a friend on mine does the same thing and it works just fine. 

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,