Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
bhurt

Air in Front Forks

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

bhurt

Hey there, bike is new to me and I don't know exactly how to check or if I even have air in my front forks.  I know the air system has been removed from the rear and a progressive coil over shock set up is in place back there but up front I can see the hose connecting the 2 forks is still in place and on the right fork top is this large nut with what appears to be a piece missing.... is the schrader valve going to be under that nut or will I end up losing a bunch of oil if I take that off?  And what am I missing from the side of that nut?  Here are a couple pictures to show what I am talking about.  I did try to search but didn't have much luck finding what I was looking for.  

IMG_4341.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

Mountain Rider

I'm not positive, but I believe the hose should cross over to the other fork tube.  The cap on top appears to have had a hard air line from the air compressor at one time, but the hose is gone now.  I guess the other thing to look at is whether the air compressor is even there any more.  Based on all that, I'm betting there's no air in the front forks, and you may have to replumb an air line in there and make sure the lines to the rear are plugged, or install a valve in the cap and adjust the air by hand.  Good luck, that's way to pretty a bike to let set because of a soft front.  Ride safe.

bhurt

the rear air has been deleted, the hoses are not there and the shocks replaced with a coil over progressive shock.  I know this because the light came on and scared me so I stopped and did some checking before proceeding.  On the front there is a hose that goes across from left to right forks, and from what I read the interstate didn't come with a compressor, only the aspencade did.  So possibly thats just a wrong cap on the schrader valve..... I will have to pull the cap off tomorrow and see whats underneath.....I was just concerned as to what might happen if I take that cap off, oil come out or something crazy like that...  

Mountain Rider

No, there shouldn't be anything spraying out, you should be good. 

brianinpa
(edited)

I'm not sure what that is on the fork cap, but it isn't stock.  The Schrader valve should be there.  If it is just a plug, I would suspect the spring were changed to progressives as well.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

bhurt

Here’s what it looked like when I took it off.... there was a small psst but not much. So I’m wondering if there is supposed to be air in there?  I get a clunk on some bumps from the front end. I thought it was a loose fairing or something but I can’t find anything loose so would the forks clunk if there was no air and it needed air???

EB13D3B3-A0B2-442B-8807-A26F2CC53376.jpeg

3E3E82B1-A94C-4BCE-A22D-D7EE957F803A.jpeg

bhurt

pulled the spring out today, pretty sure its the progressive one... measures 20.75" long.  Which explains why the cap is siliconed.  I also turned up the rear springs one click and that seemed to help with the front end, I think I am gonna try to turn it up one more turn..

IMG_4373.jpg

IMG_4374.jpg

IMG_4376.jpg

Mountain Rider

When you pulled the caps on the fork tubes, how much tension was there on the springs?  That may have been the clunk you were hearing.  It may need a spacer in the top to preload those springs a bit.

bhurt

there was enough that I had to build a piece of wood to put pressure on the cap to get it to start threading back in.  with the cap off the spring was probably an 1/8 of an inch above the top of the fork if I recall... maybe a little less... And today while riding I found the clunk was only on fairly sharp bumps, and it still sounds like something hitting plastic type of clunk... not a metal clunk like I would expect from the fork.  I am gonna make sure there isn't anything that could be bouncing and making that clunk in the front of the bike, or in the tank compartment or anything and then ride it again.  Really sounds more like a bounce clunk than a fork issue... 

OnaWingandaPrayer

Look at the center stand. I believe it should have a rubber bumper pad to rest on when in the up(stowed) position. 

When you hit a significant bump the stand may be forcing down then return and "clunk" against the frame is the bumper is missing.

• Like 3

bhurt

Well I think I narrowed down the clunk.  And a vibrating sound I ended up with after I changed the timing belts.... I believe the clunk is a pair of horns that are mounted under the front, in front of the rad.  And the vibrating was some of the grill pieces in the chrome radiator cover.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,