Sign in to follow this  
terryj

Crows and Motorcycles

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

terryj

I found this on the internet, it's funny so I have to share it:

The Arkansas D.O.T found over 200 dead crows on highways recently, and there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu. A Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and, to everyone's relief, confirmed the problem was NOT Avian Flu.

The cause of death appeared to be from vehicular impacts. However, during analysis it was noted that varying colours of paints appeared on the bird's beaks and claws. By analysing these paint residues it was found that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with motorbikes, while only 2% were killed by cars.

The Agency then hired an Ornithological Behaviourist to determine if there was a cause for the disproportionate percentages of motorbike kills versus car kills.

The Ornithological Behaviourist quickly concluded that when crows eat road kill, they always have a look-out crow to warn of danger.

They discovered that while all the lookout crows could shout "Cah", not a single one could shout "bike"

• Haha 2

Rampal1955

Now that is funny.

Mountain Rider

Here in Idaho, we don't have to hit them with our bikes, they just allow us to shoot them.   :roflmao:

terryj

Dave, with all the taxes going into effect here in Oregon, we are seriously thinking about moving to Idaho. Don't have a location picked out yet but we are looking. Any ideas?????

• Like 1

Steed

I've hit a few Gulls while on a bike.  I was very thankfull for the Break-a-way mounts of my Plexifairing at the time.  Very un-nerving but no out of pocket damage to my pre-Wing rides...

Mountain Rider
1 hour ago, terryj said:

Dave, with all the taxes going into effect here in Oregon, we are seriously thinking about moving to Idaho. Don't have a location picked out yet but we are looking. Any ideas?????

Terry, what are you looking for?  Work, peace and quiet, in the mountains, or the plain?  City, country?  

terryj
6 hours ago, Steed said:

I've hit a few Gulls while on a bike.  I was very thankfull for the Break-a-way mounts of my Plexifairing at the time.  Very un-nerving but no out of pocket damage to my pre-Wing rides...

Geez, hitting a gull is almost as bad as hitting a wild turkey

terryj
5 hours ago, Mountain Rider said:

Terry, what are you looking for?  Work, peace and quiet, in the mountains, or the plain?  City, country?  

We'ere looking for a small town 20,000 and under, don't need to work I'm retired, north of Boise and good schools for we are raising our grandchildren, well, our kids now because we adopted them, ages 8 and 12, elementary school and JH. City or country would be okay. 

Mountain Rider

I can recommend two areas.  Caldwell is known for being reasonably peaceful and has pretty good schools, though being close to Boise, the cost of living has climbed a bit.  The other is right here where I'm at.  Rigby, just North of Idaho Falls, in Jefferson County.  The taxes are fairly low compared to the surrounding areas.  The schools are all new, having been built or updated in the last 10 years, and the quality of the education is pretty good too.  Housing is available as there are new housing editions popping up all around the City proper.  Where I live, I'm in the county, but no more than a 5 minute drive to the grocery store in town.  Plenty to get the kids out and about also.  We've got several ski areas within easy driving distance, Yellowstone is an hour and half away, the sand dunes are about 30 minutes away if your into dune buggy's, and plenty of hiking, hunting, and fishing.  If you're into the last two, a Senior combo hunting/fishing license is only $13.75.  Crime rate is low as well.  There's more crime in Chicago between 8 in the morning and 8 at night in one day than we have all year.

There, I've tooted my own horn long enough.  Don't know if it matters, but we're really Republican over here.

Monkeytrucker

Have to jump in on the bird strikes.  The Bride and I see the same Neurologist that I started seeing when my head got hammered by the trespassers who were determined to kill me.  Now we see him because he is the sleep study department head at the hospital.  We would always ride the 1800 when we went to see him as he was happy to see riders wearing full safety gear even in the heat of summer or the cold of winter.  One day he noticed a scar on my helmet and asked about it.  I told him about the bird that hit my helmet and that the bird did not survive.   He still asks if that bird came back to life and laughs about it.  He always relates how many patients he gets that were not wearing helmets and will never be the same because of that.

Hey Terryj, move to Southern Illinois.  Lots of cheap empty housing, uncrowded few students left in area schools, no property tax if you meet the old people's requirements,  plenty of minimum wage jobs (well if you are willing to sweat making parts for Toyota under their "vote you off the island management system"), an overabundance of law enforcement (who are documented family members who deal drugs and steal money from the evidence locker (documented by the courts),  big money rules like in NYC where you can shoot someone on 5th avenue and get away with it. 

Specifically here in Lawrence County, on the banks of the Wabash, you have to drive 30 miles for groceries unless you want Walmart stuff and drive 120 miles if you want groceries that are really fresh and find a choice of different food stocks.  Entertainment is a 4 theater movie house in Indiana and medical care hospital wise is pretty good in Vincennes, IN but doctors today do not want to be stuck away from the high-end world of life so we are stuck with OLD MDs, MDs with names that one's fingers are worn out typing their 3,000 letter names and those whose mal-practice claims have driven them out of the better areas.  

We live out in the country where we have no neighbors for quite a distance.  Roads that the road commissioner had dragged so much that they are lower than the ditches so the roads turn into gulches in every rain and make negotiating them a challenge.  Actually, we have had to resort to driving thru a farm field at times.  No ski hills but we do get drifted in at times.  Water skiing is good right now as we are headed into the 6th straight week of flood warnings there is plenty of water and you could have lots of fun dodging all of the floating tree parts.  Hunting deer is great if you can find some landowner who will allow you to hunt on their property.  Bird and rabbit hunting used to be fantastic until all of the big farmers decided to own large track hoes and remove all fences plus disk out all grass waterways.  This year mother nature is getting back at them.  May is starting and they have not begun to get into their fields and usually, by now they are over halfway done planting.  All of those missing grass waterways are now deep ditches.

Hey, I think I just became an advocate of living in Idaho.