Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
Mountain Rider

DHS Racing shift linkage

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

Is anyone using the DHS Racing linkage on their 1800.  I noticed a tremendous amount of slop in my stock linkage, and after some searching, found the DHS linkage which seems to be the ultimate fix.  For $35, I don't see how picking one can be a bad idea.  What do you think? 

OnaWingandaPrayer

Dave, all reports I have have read say it's a great improvement. Makes me want to go spend some $ and find out myself . But I can wait till install one and give a up to date report ;) .

Mountain Rider

Mike, I will do that just for you.  :wink-sm:  I called Dan at DHS Racing and discussed it in some detail, after which he sent me an email with a Paypal  money request attached.  Filled that out and should have a new shift linkage on the way.  I can see why the OEM parts fail.  Heim joints are riveted steel or aluminum.  The DHS version is machined stainless with bolts and nylon lock nuts, and fully adjustable.  I'm hoping to have it in hand and installed in the next week or so, so I'll let you know.  FYI, the $35 price tag includes shipping.

• Like 1

OnaWingandaPrayer

That seems a very reasonable price. I hope it works out well for you .

Mountain Rider

The new linkage came in yesterday, looks very nice and well built.  Rather than put my riding on hold if I screw up the shifter rebuild, I decided to error on the side of caution.  I picked up a second complete shift lever, link, and shift arm for $10.  I'll rebuild it on the bench and have it ready, so when I pull the setup off the bike, I can just put this one right back in place.  I may even buy another linkage and rebuild the original for a complete spare either for myself or someone else if the need arises.  I'll post up some pics as I start to rebuild the shifter so you can see what I've got.  

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

The extra shift assembly arrived today. I'll get it rebuilt tomorrow and install the rebuilt assembly on the bike. 

• Yay 1

Mountain Rider
(edited)

I'm running a bit behind, but finally got the spare assembly rebuilt.  This is a much more solid setup than what came OE.  I'll post up some pics as soon as I can pull them off my phone.

The rivet ends of the heim joint must be filed flat and drilled for removal.  Center punch the end after you file it flat then take a small drill bit and drill a pilot hole, the proceed with larger bit until you are at 1/4". Place the arm in vice and punch it free of the arm.  Repeat this on the end attached to the shift arm.

20190429_130229.jpg

The hole on the shift arm isn't quite as round as you would expect, and Dan knows this, so he includes a sleeve.  Drill the hole out with a 5/16" bit and insert the sleeve.  Now you can install the new stainless heim joint.

20190429_133206.jpg

Attach the shift lever to the other end and tighten everything up.  The nuts are 11mm, the hex on the heim is 10mm.

20190429_130430.jpg

20190429_132638.jpg

20190429_130241.jpg

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mountain Rider
(edited)

A few more pics.  Since I'm waiting on some other parts, I'll wait to install this when everything is setting here ready to go.  

20190429_133754.jpg

20190429_133820.jpg

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OnaWingandaPrayer

That is a nice looking part. Does it have enough thread length to make any minor height adjustments? 

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Yeah, there's actually quite a bit of thread length on it, so the shifter can be raised or lowered as needed.   According to the instructions, each 360* rotation of the threaded end will move the shifter 3/16".  

OnaWingandaPrayer

sweet !

Mountain Rider

Well, I finally got it installed, but not the way I planned.  I couldn't get the bolt that keeps the shift arm attached to its pivot, loose.  Rather than give up and put everything back together, I drilled the rivet for the linkage out on the shift arm while it was in place on the bike.  Took the new arm I bought off the assembly and installed everything on the original arm.  Got it all adjusted up, and all the covers and cowls put back on, then took her out for a ride.  What a difference!  The only play now is what little there is in the transmission.  Shifts are smooth and positive.  At some point I'm going to get the shift arm loose so I can install the other arm.  The original acts like the bushing is a bit worn, so installing the new one should be better.  All in all, I'm very pleased with this part and its performance.  

• Like 1

OnaWingandaPrayer

This is good to hear, that your so happy with this shift lever upgrade.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,