Sign in to follow this  
Monkeytrucker

Struck Gold today

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

Yep, we struck Gold today.  We are moving the tractor solarium over to where the building burned.  Having to build a retaining wall about 24" tall in one corner so I have a few old powerline poles laying out in my storage area and are using them for the wall.  To hold them in place I am putting pipe uprights notched into the outside of the poles laying on their sides.  Will make it so we can mow up close.  So I started putting holes in the ground for the steel pipes that the solarium will actually set on.  We are raising it 12" above grade so we can put some used corrugated roofing out front for an extension roof.

While running the auger today I hit something solid.  Actually hit part of our Goldwing that is buried.  Thought it was a couple of feet away but as usual I was wrong.  Estella will always tell you that much.  I am going to prove her wrong about pulling the solarium that is 14' by 32' about 250' while turning it and then pulling it up a slide and out onto the raised framework.  The big trick is that I cannot get Frankentruck behind the solarium to pull it up onto the platform.  So I will have to use snatch blocks so it can be pulled the opposite direction of the way Frankentruck is sitting.

She is gloating today because yesterday I rolled my gantry crane out of the shop and was raising it to the tallest position so I could pick up a 1,000 lb. oilfield engine and place it on the bed of Frankentruck so we call haul it to a big equipment sale in hopes of selling it.  When I built the gantry I made it so each end can be turned.  That makes it able to be pivoted at an angle so it can effectively be narrowed.  Estella said "use the winch gin poles to raise the cross beam" but I said the hy-lift farm jack works perfectly well.  It did until the gantry swiveled to become too narrow and fell over in the gravel driveway.  That meant I had to put Frankie's poles down so it could go under the old house electric entrance feed and then put them back up to lift the gantry.  Raised the engine as high as I could and it still was about 6" too low as the cartwheels were just under the back edge of the truck bed.  That was a simple fix as a couple of flat bars of steel between the bumper and the bed allowed the wheels to ramp up when the winch pulled the cart onto the bed of the truck.  

Another gold strike today was I sold my 1941 John Deere A.  Not as much as I wanted but I think the guy will kick some surplus steel into the deal.  Always can use steel and CASH.

Everyone from the Visiting Nurses to Estella "The Bride" is saying "slow down" but my answer is I have 2 months of work to make up from the surgery.  Besides, if you die without a whole list of things needing or wanting to be done, you have wasted your life by sitting on your donkey watching TV.

OnaWingandaPrayer

Gary , it's good to hear your up and about doing task you enjoy. Please do listen the one who is to heard and don't overdo it . We need you to keep posting with us .

Monkeytrucker

We did take a day away from all of the home work.  We attended a big swap meet for tractor related stuff.  Bought a motorcycle engine, actually one of those generic 50cc scooter engines that was all there, looks like it was removed from a trashed scooter.  Got it and a 2-cycle mantis tiller (minus a carb and gas tank) for a whole $10.  Also a pair of spoked John Deere front wheels from the 30s complete with bearings for $10.  Might be the makings of a yard trailer or yard ornament for one of Estella's flower beds.  Also bought a big rubbermaid container full of automotive type push and twist light bulbs and unknown oil filters for $5.  Figure if I needed 2 light bulbs and at today's prices I would be ahead.  Have to make a list of all of the oil filters and google what they are for.  

Mountain Rider

Sounds like you guys had fun.  Now take it easy!  I wouldn't want to hear Estella whooped you with a knotted plow line because you didn't listen.  Take care you two. :SmileyTooth: