Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
dwsonar

Still having idle issues

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

dwsonar

Here's the latest. 

Started, run good cold. In the past, after warming up is when the idle drops about 200rpm, but today it didn't. Only thing I did was pull the right side plugs to verify spark, and replaced. Warmed up to the point the fans cycled on and off 8-10 times.

I guess it's possible one of the plug wires wasn't seated quite right, but really doesn't seem likely to me. I'm going to go for a ride shortly to see if it continues to run right. Until then, any ideas what might make the idle drop 200 when warmed up? It still runs fine at speed and revs up normally. Coils?

Also, when the idle does drop, it seems to me it's not running on all cyliders. 

dwsonar

update.

started it and warmed up again. sounded fine. Put it in gear, it died when I started to go. Restarted, idle was 200 lower.

dwsonar

carbs are out, but not finding any problems in the vacuum lines. Coils next? Since the problem is intermittent, it doesn't seem like a coil test would be useful.

I need advice

yooperfan

Run the engine and pull 1 plug wire at a time.  Take note of the RPM drop for each cylinder.  That can maybe reveal a weak cylinder, but not the reason.   A new set of plugs is never a bad idea.  Wire can be tested for resistance, but I don't know what readings are good or bad.  Coils can maybe also be tested, but I don't know read those results either.  I always try to aim for the easiest tests and cheapest fixes first and work upward from there.  Maybe a can of Sea Foam would help too.

tamathumper

Do mice build nests on the air filters of the GL1500s like they do on the GL1800s?

Mountain Rider

I'm guessing here. but checking the coils may not be a bad thing.  Many times a coil will be fine when cool, but when it warms up, it will start to act up.  There may be a solder connection working loose and when it warms up starts loosing connectivity.  After it warms up, feel the coils.  Is there one that is hot to the touch rather than just warm.  As was mentioned earlier, once its warmed up and starting to miss, pull one plug wire at a time.  If you find one that changes nothing, you probably have found the culprit.  That at least narrows your target area to a bad plug, coil, plug wire, or even the connection to that coil.  Once you've done that, if possible, move that particular coil to one of the other locations.  If the misfire moves with the coil, you've found your problem.  The same can be done with plugs and wires.  I'm not that familiar with the 1500's, so I don't exactly how the coils are set up, ie: does it have one, two 3 port coils, three 2 port coils, or one for each?  

I don't know if I helped or just threw more poo in the mix, but it may be something to look at.  Good luck, Dave

• Like 1

dwsonar

That's pretty much what I was trying. It's hard to get it to miss in the driveway. Pulling one at a time didn"t tell me which cylinder. I'm into it now, with the carbs pulled. Going to change the coils and wires next. 

Next question. I changed the timing belt just before leaving on the trip. Is it possible the belts stretched just enough to throw the timing off at idle? Without jumping a tooth and really being off.

Ghost Rider 2

I have pulled belts off of 1500's that have had 100,000 miles.  Never seen any stretch.  Actually you cant even see a difference between new and old.  Is it possible 1 cam a tooth off on install?

dwsonar

Anything is possible, but it didn't idle bad the first 2000 miles of the trip. 

yooperfan

Have you tried to sync the carbs?  I've seen the carb sync tool in use before and found a loose screw/plug where the tool is inserted.  That's hard to understand with one sentence.  A screw/plug is removed and the sync tool is screwed into the hole.  The screw/plug was loose, which caused a bad idle.  The tool was screwed in and the carbs tested fine and once the screw/plug was replaced and tightened, the wing ran fine.  Just tightening the screw/plug was all that was needed.

• Like 1

dwsonar

I may have found the problem. One of the contacts on a coil is corroded and a little green. Have a set of coils I'm putting on this morning( if I stop screwing up while I do it)

If it solves the problem, I'll let y'all know.

Oh, I'll also see about syncing the carbs when it's back together. I did it a few years ago, but I guess it should be done again.

dwsonar

Well darn. The hose to the reserve tank broke. Another delay while waiting on a replacement

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,