Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Thedidastouch

Smells

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Thedidastouch

Got the bike out of storage the other day gl1000 76 32000 miles on it started right up lasted for about 5 minutes started running crappy got this weird smell I've never smelled before you know people saying it's coolant I didn't have any coolant leaks no hoses leaked I took out the thermostat check that works great water pump motors great I ran great when I parked it I'm afraid to start it back up

Mountain Rider

If you're not seeing coolant on the floor, check the radiator cap.  If it hasn't been replaced recently, the seal may be getting hard and not sealing well.  What did you do to it before you stored it?  How long was it stored?  Did you drain the carbs and add a fuel stabilizer before it was stored?  It's possible that rust or other contaminates have clogged the jets causing it to roughen up.  Some of the other guys who run the carbureted bikes will no doubt chime in.  Good luck and welcome.    

OnaWingandaPrayer

Sweet smelling white smoke from the exhaust is telltale of a bad head gasket. Pull the spark plugs and look for one that is very white/clean on the porcelain , possibly both plugs on one bank of the engine.

tamathumper

May I ask how you know it's not a coolant leak?  If it's an internal leak, you won't see coolant on the floor.  There's a chemical you can add to a sample of your coolant that will turn a certain color if there are "products of combustion" getting into the coolant from a head gasket leak in one of the cylinders.

https://smile.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-25739-8-Ounces-Block-Tester/dp/B004FDMVE6/ref=sr_1_10?crid=18IEIVCFTRYHG&keywords=coolant+tester+for+blown+head+gasket&qid=1552999941&s=gateway&sprefix=coolant+test%2Caps%2C278&sr=8-10

Thedidastouch

Thanks for getting back to me I didn't get any water in my oil maybe I'm stupider than most but if a head gasket goes what there be water in the oil

tamathumper

I don't think so, mixing of oil and coolant is more common in large engines with an "oil cooler", which is a jacket that passes oil through a loop with coolant on the outside - kind of like the Porsche 968 - you'll get a milkshake in the oil pan, or a mayo on the inside of the filler cap, depending on where / how much mixing takes place.  But that's not related to a smell.

If you have a pinhole in the head gasket that is between the coolant jacket and a cylinder you'll get two things.  First, coolant will drip through a little bit when the engine is off, and you'll get a "sweet smell" upon starting from coolant in the cylinder.  (I suppose if you had a big hole, it might run past the rings and mix with the oil, but only at rest and it would settle below the oil so you wouldn't see it with a visual inspection.)  Second, you'll get combustion gases at high pressure blowing into the hole and into the coolant jacket.  That might pressurize your coolant system, and it definitely will introduce combustion gases into the coolant, but it won't result in an oil/coolant mix.

Thedidastouch

I did a compression check on All 4 cylinders dry 85 on all four I'm hoping it was just a stuck thermostat

Thedidastouch

Well it was a fishy smell exactly it was a fishy smell I did a compression check wet and dry all of them 3 lbs 115 but it was electrical lighting component that was melting that's what smelled like fish or probably asbestos or some cancer-causing stuff luckily I have a spare bike running great now thanks guys straight to pick your guys's brain so eliminate what it could be or could not be

Thedidastouch

Well the fish smell is back it is did lighting module is melting on my Goldwing what causes a lighting module to melt?

OnaWingandaPrayer

My first thought is you have some wire connections which are poor and heating up as the current flows thru them. 

Thedidastouch

I looked at my service manual and then it says just to take that out of the system and I have a diagram and it showed me how to do that I still don't know what melted it I'm sure I'm sure it's going to go up in Flames but that's okay everything works I'm on the road again😎