Sign in to follow this  
Monkeytrucker

Got big news for you

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

Plain and simple;

The older you get the harder it is to come back from things that insult your body!

A month and a half from supposed same day surgery and it does not take much to sap energy.  At least the incision has mostly healed and the Visiting Nurse is happier.  Think Estella is happier as the requirements of care have been greatly reduced.

We have a German Short Hair Pointer as a member of the family.  At least she gives Estella something to holler at instead of me.

Mountain Rider

Gary, good to hear you're on the mend.  Hope you and Estella are doing well.  Give the dog a pat on the head.  :angel-praying-still:

• Like 1

Steed

Don't rush the recovery, slow and steady.  Rest is your friend.

Mountain Rider

Hey, Gary

How're you doing?  Getting better I hope.  Leslie and I keep you guys in our prayers and look forward to your occasional post here.  Give Estella a hug and the dog a pat on the head for us.  

Monkeytrucker

Got the boss, Estella's, permission to get busy at doing things again since the wound is healed and the Visiting Nurses said OK.  Saturday I worked 8 hrs building a vehicle lift to go on the back of Frankentruck.  Sunday we drove to Beecher City and picked up a 81 Dodge pickup.  Bought it for the automatic trans and slant 6 and got the whole truck for a few $$ more.  Actually in better body shape than our 85 short bed so maybe will do a valve job and just drive it.  Odometer shows 50k and all things like brake pedal rubber pad, accelerator pedal, seat condition suggests it might be actual miles.

Monday we used a drag to start leveling the pad where we lost old building in the fire.  Plan for parking vehicles there.  In the afternoon we blew out the flower beds and driveway clear of gumballs, mowed last years grass.  Tuesday chainsawed up a bunch of winter downed trees and limbs and then hooked the rock trailer behind Frankentruck.  That is a puzzle in running 6 winch line runs to dump trailer and then went and got a load of the stabilizer for fill.  Wednesday went to get another 5 tons of stabilizer (two loads) and had to repair the receiver hitch when a factory weld broke. 

Got the afternoon off if one calls spending 2 hours in the MD's office time off.

Sure feels good being able to be active again.

Here is the new to us pick up.  A rusted arch over left rear wheel and hole at the bottom behind each rear wheel.  Cab has no visible rust.  Someone in the past brushed brown primer on the top of the hood and cab.  Maybe it will come off with lacquer thinner. 

Life is better.  Plus the dog gives Estella something else to holler at.

IMG_6109.JPG

Mountain Rider

Awesome, looks like you've got it beat.  Take it easy though, nothing worse than overdoing it and finding out to late.  You guys take care.

OnaWingandaPrayer

It's good to hear your mending well and permitted to tackle some chores. Just don't over do it.

Monkeytrucker
On 3/20/2019 at 8:47 PM, OnaWingandaPrayer said:

It's good to hear your mending well and permitted to tackle some chores. Just don't over do it.

According to Estella, I am overdoing it.  Do not tell her but maybe she is right, a little.  Worked a half day today getting the steering shaft out of the IH-300 so I can try to repair a leak in the tube the shaft uses to go thru the upper radiator tank.  Much kicking and cussing for a couple of hours and it came out.  Started sanding the inside of the tube and the Visiting Nurse made her appearance so was a good excuse to stop.  Tomorrow I finish sanding the tube. look for the leak, J-B Weld it and then let it set for a day or so.  Then the most impending project is to put air pressure in the #5 cylinder of the new pick up to see if it leaks air into the intake, the exhaust or the crankcase.  That will give me a better idea of what is happening.

Put the rock trailer on behind Frankentruck Tuesday and started hauling stabilizer.  Have a low corner I have to set some power poles flat to work as retaining walls.  Then use the tractor to push stabilizer into the corner.  Once things are reasonably flat I will move the tractor solarium over and into place.  Want to raise it 2-3 ft. so will simply put some 2.5" pipe in the ground to make stands to set it on.  Only will need 5 and with the ground soft putting them in the ground 3-4' should be no problem.

Here is Frankentruck in his rock hauling mode.  3 tons if I have them load it high enough the state police could see I am hauling rock instead of grain.  The winch is used to raise the front of the dump bed.  I built the trailer years ago when I found they wanted $90 to haul a load of gravel to here.  Cost me about $120 to build and I have hauled at least 50 loads.  The people at the rock place keep joking even though I have to haul 3-4 loads to one on a big truck I am getting my money's worth especially now that it is $110 haulage to get 10 tons delivered here. 

IL law says "vehicles of animal husbandry do not need a license or abide by weight limits.  Rock might be pushing it a bit but then I could plead ignorance without having to fib at all.  A guy I was in the hospital with has an 80,000 lb. track hoe he would have to permit to haul.  So he uses a lowboy trailer, a converter dolly and his 500+ Case IH quad track to pull it.  He says he can pull it 20 miles and everything is legal.  He told me that and he told me he has 21 corvettes.  I thought BS.  Well until his car club buddies came visiting him in the hospital.  Yes, he has 21 corvettes, 6-7 Fifty Seven Chevies, and a 33 Ford Roadster.  And he just might have a Slant 6 engine laying in one of his buildings that he took out of his father in laws Case combine when they scrapped it.  Now I need a couple of Slant 6 distributors as the lean burn system does not have vacuum advance units on them.

IMG_6125.JPG