Sign in to follow this  
sambunjan

1989 GL1500

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

sambunjan

OK, so 1st up I'm very very  New. This is my 1st real gold wing I've ever owned even though it is very old. So I'm guess what I'm looking for is for all advice . All I  Know about this bike is that it's and  1989, it has been dropped in a garage at least once on each side, I'm probly going to have to find a whole new fairing, obviously used. But I'm really looking for what mechanical should I be most looking at 1st is there anything particular besides a tune up that I need to do. I did drive it home from South Bend to  Wanatah.. and it rode really nice, the biggest thing I noticed is it consumed a heck of a lot more gas than I expected for the 35-minute trip, and I also noticed that the idol was above 1500 RPMs. I had the Dubious Task of driving with no mirrors and no front brake lever. But I made it home without incident. I look forward to being very active and I hope that you will not find me too troublesome or too needy 🙂

winger77

You have quite  amount of work to do (not to discourage you) but I’ll just mention a couple things here for now, and I’m sure others will too.

You say it used gas. Are you just going by what the gauge reads? I ask because it took me a while to get used to mine as it’s not all that accurate, but close. My gauge goes below the RED, and I still have better then a gallon. So do a mile/gallon check, and normally these bikes get and average of 35 miles/gallon.

Next to the gas cap there should be a “neuraled nob”. That is the idol adjustment. While it’s running, work it back and forth several times and then try setting it around 900-1100 I think. Best when warmed up also.

Oh,, filters,, both gas and air. Might be a bad Air filter. Many people have had mice nest in the air filter, and that would cause excessive gas used.

All fluids of course should be checked and changed. 

That should keep you busy for a while,,, Good Luck.

sambunjan

Thanks

I plan to start immediately on all you mentioned. It's old, heavy and needs stuff, but I graduated high school in '87 and I. College I wanted the Gl so badly.. it just stuck

sambunjan

Thanks for the idle answer! Easily done.

15510286808607038476258304629543.jpg

OnaWingandaPrayer

Sam, the 1500 is a wonderful machine and should provide many years/miles of service. If you have no service records with the bike , please consider replacing the timing belts .Even if the bike has low milage the rubber belts deteriorate over time and 89 was a good while back. Enjoy your new bike/project. the folks here can help you along the way . Bring your questions to the "Technical" forum.

sambunjan

Thanks so much!

Mountain Rider

Something else to check are the tires.  If it's been setting in the garage for a while, you may see some cracking.  Even in the absence of cracking, check the DOT codes.  They should be on the side wall of the tire.  Find "DOT", then look at the numbers you find there.  The last four numbers should indicate the week and year of manufacture, for example, 4218 would be the 42nd week of 2018.  If they're 5 years old or older, change them out.  

Good luck and good riding.

pwhoever
(edited)

Greetings. I am very familiar with Wanatah. I have gone through there for many decades to hang a right on 421 south to San Pierre. My late aunts had 100 acres just across the little Kankakee. I remember the trucking company that used to be right on the corner of US30 and 421. Gravel company I think along with an little restaurant on that corner as well.

As far as things to do on your bike, run several tanks after adding seafoam into it. The carbs tend to get gummed up after sitting for a length of time and quite often seafoam treatment can keep you from having to do a carb rebuild. Besides the air filter, there are 2 small filters that will dry out and crumble with age and should be replaced. They are the sub air filter and the cruise filter. The sub air filter will be behind the plastic about where your right knee is and the cruise filter will be about where your left knee is. The sub air is is more important because if it starts to crumble, it gets sucked into the "shot air" system and you will start having running issues. The sub air filter when replaced needs to be oiled and squeezed out but the cruise filter goes in dry. Definitely flush and change all the fluids. Front and rear brake fluid, clutch fluid, and coolant. Old clutch (dot 4 brake fluid) fluid tends to gum up the slave behind left side of engine and may require you to rebuild the slave. As far as the rear brakes, the rear also linked to the front right caliper and that needs to be flushed and filled first and then the rear. As was mentioned above, not a bad idea to replace the timing belts as you dont want those to break and in doing so, you will end up changing out the coolant anyway.

I'm sure I can come up with Andrew more things but these will take a up bunch of your time for now and give you a good start. The first time you dive into the tupperware, it is a bit intimidating but will get easier over time. Just take your time and try and get your hands on a factory service manual. Those are the best. A Chiltons or Haynes will help but there is no substitute to a FSM.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

sambunjan

Thanks very much! And I am very familiar with the San Pierre area. 

I am going to be going through the fluids and timing belt in the next few weeks, I did not know about the filters you brought up, but I'm glad this group, and you are helping po ing me along. I found a fairing and some plastics, but they are coming from Washington Statenso I'm going to paying more for shipping than the fairing it would seem, but it's all worth while to me.

• Like 1

pwhoever

Take a look at this page for help on those filters:

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11036

There is a very good chance I might have 1 of each (new and unopened) in the garage and if you PM me your address, if I do have them, they're yours, I can mail them to you. My 1500 has been sitting in the garage for a couple years and I dont know if I will ever get it road worthy again. Long story...

winger77
30 minutes ago, pwhoever said:

Take a look at this page for help on those filters:

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11036

And as you can see when you look at that link, it is quite the project just to get at those filters. Since you are replacing the fairing, it’s a GREAT time to change those filters wether good or bad.

• Like 1

sambunjan

I just got my manual today in the mail, the teardown will commence soon... thanks again to all!

terryj

Wingandaprayer posted about your timing belts, in my opinion they are the most important replacement part on your 89 Gold Wing, if they break they can destroy your engine. If they have been on the bike since 89 they need to be replaced and this should be done before allowing your engine to run for any long period of time, all it take is once. Then you can go through your fluids and filters. Replacing your timing belt can be a daunting task, but there are plenty of videos on the internet on how to do this. Good luck with your project, you'll have many of fun miles on your Gold Wing. 

sambunjan

It is ordered, will he here Friday, and you are absolutely correct, ita the MOST important thing. The bike wont run again until I get it changed.  Thanks though for confirmation of this fact. This forum is great.