Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
dwsonar

1500 idle problem

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

dwsonar

Still having idle issues, so about to tackle it again. Have done the easy stuff, Seafoam, filters, plugs, fuel valve, etc. Time to dig into the vacuum lines. Not looking forward to the carb removal, but I guess it's time. 

Any tips or hints? Good videos?(I have watched a couple)

Also, what should I make sure to clean on the carbs while they're out? I really don't want to do a rebuild myself as I've never had good luck with that on any carb I've tried.

Galaxyhunter

Take tons of pic's of the vacuum lines.  Mark the lines with some kind of tape W/ numbers or letters.  Once all the lines are off, it is easy to get them mixed up.  Remove both fans,  (left side is a PITA) this gives you more access room.

• Like 1

Alan_Hepburn

Newbie here - I don't know what your idle issue is, but on my bike I had a problem with a surging idle - it would hover between about 850 and 1200 rpm. Nothing I did would get it to settle down. After running on the freeway, when I would exit onto an off-ramp and come to a stop it would idle over 3000 rpm - very disconcerting!

Anyway, a friend of mine mentioned that he had read about a similar situation and it turned out to be a bad sensor: the engine coolant temperature sensor (Item #36151-MT8-003) located on the right-side intake manifold. It's not the sensor that feeds the gauge, but the one that feeds the engine computer. I got a replacement for about $31.18 from Babbitt's online and that solved my idle issue. It took about 2 hours to remove the tupperware and the right-side cooling fan to be able to get into where the sensor is, but it's been running fine ever since.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

dwsonar

I've had the surging issue before, this is different. Idle drops about 2-300 rpm's. Almost sounds like a cylinder not firing. Sometimes would run properly for a while.Also, it seems to run right first, then as it warms up, idle slows down again.

• Like 1

winger77

You said you did all the easy stuff,,, so I assume you have played with the idle nob by turning it back and forth while it’s running??? I have heard of others solving their issues just from doing that, and I do it just as a premaintenece.

If it comes down to having to remove the carbs which involves removing the fans like Galaxyhunter says. Then it might be worth it to change the sensor that Alan_Hepburn talks of,,, since you say it begins surging as it gets warmed.

• Like 1