Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
1boardrider

Power for Accessories??

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

1boardrider

OK folks, I have another question that you Goldwing veterans and general smart people can help with.

I am most likely going to mount a GPS, cup holder and my phone on my Goldwing. What are the most common/best places to mount-- left side/right side, which thing on which side, clamp mount, semi-permanent mount???? Please give your reasons and pics if possible. I am trying to avoid my cockpit looking like my teenagers bedroom!! LOL Clean and simple are nice to me. BTW Long Ride Shields is having a pretty good sale on Goldwing windshields!!! You might wanna check em out. Thanx in advance for your time and expertise!!

1boardrider

I also need to know how you have handled the power ports for these accessories? USB or 12v plug? Placement and weatherproofing? Thanx again!

terryj

Chris, there are a number of mounts out there for the items you want to mount on the bike, I think everyone has their own preference, just shop around and see what you like, a good place for this is WingStuff.com. As far as power goes, see if there has been installed a 12V port in your left front pocket on the bike. I use a 12V to USB adapter on that power source to operate my cell phone, I also use my cell phone for my GPS. Where to mount the equipment again is a user preference, are you left hand or right handed, I'm left handed so my equipment is mounted on the left side of the handle bars. 

• Like 1

1boardrider

Thanx Terry! It does not have the 12v plug in the front pocket. I like that option for the power because it is tucked away clean. I am definitely thinking about using my phone for my GPS also--again clean-- one less thing to mount. I am leaning towards the RAM mounts with a short arm for the phone/gps mount right now. Thinking of placement of ram on top of the brake reservoir?

terryj
(edited)

You can get those power plugs from WingStuff, I think the cost is anywhere from 10-20 dollars. I use the Ram X-grip for my phone, it's mounted just to the right of my left switch assembly. 

Edited by terryj
  • Like 1

pwhoever

My preference is cup holder on right side as I can then grab my cup if I'm underway and still hold onto the throttle. I put my phone on left side as if I need to select something, again while underway, I use my left hand and it just seems to be easier this way. I am using a RAM mount cup holder and a RAM mount X-grip for the phone. Both utilize the lever mounts to attach. Clutch on left and brake on right. I also use the phone/Waze for GPS but also keep my Nuvi 765T always updated as a backup and in the trunk in case I can't use the phone for whatever reason. I didnt see what bike you have but on my 1800, I have a phone charge cord plugged into power port in left pocket and run that directly to the phone. I did have to slightly notch the corner of the plastic door to make it work.

• Like 1