Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
1boardrider

Noobie Goldwing Owner

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

1boardrider

Hey folks!! I am a Noobie GL1800 owner. 2006 Goldwing Black Cherry Comfort/Nav/Audio. The GPS has not been updated and I have not pulled it into the shop and gone through her yet. Any advice on a punchlist of priorities to walk through before Spring and riding time--which is wayyy extended now because of the comfort and Wx protection afforded by this bike! I know im asking for a HUGE BROAD scope of things, but as a basic mechanical kinda guy, I sure can use the wisdom of those that have gone before me on this road. Thanks in advance for your help and advice. Hopefully, I will see you out there riding someday!! Till then, keep the plastic side up and the rubber side down! Safe riding!

OnaWingandaPrayer

Chris , Welcome to the Goldwing community. From the 75 1000 thru the current version they are amazing machines.

Has your bike seen regular riding , or has it been parked a good while?

Check the condition/date codes on the tires. 4 or 5 years old may have a lot of tread left but the rubber may be deteriorating.

Consider flushing out all the hydrualic fluids.....front/ rear brake systems and clutch system.

Look at brake pad wear.

If/when replacing rear tire pull the drive unit off and lubricate the drive shaft splines with Honda Moly lube .

Air filter ? 

I am sure others may have  thoughts on maint items I am missing. 

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Hey, Chris

Did you purchase her from a dealer or an individual?  Not saying either one is better than the other, but dealers probably wash, wax, and set them on the floor.  An individual "may" be a bit more inclined to take care of their investment, but not a guarantee.  If you don't know the maintenance history of the bike, I would error on the side of caution and do some good basic maintenance, including those things Mike mentioned above.  Here's a few things I'd do just so your records have a starting point.  Also, keep a log so you have a reference.

Engine oil/filter change

Rear drive fluid change

Check your battery condition and verify the connections are clean and tight.  If you're going to check your air filter, and you should, while you have the top of the shelter off (the cover that looks like the fuel tank), pull the fuel tank and inspect, clean, and tighten all the ground wires on the ground buss bar underneath.  This will help the operation and performance of the electronics such as the radio, CB, Navi, and intercoms.  While you have the seat and shelter off, it's also a good idea to verify all the electrical connectors/plugs are clean and the connections are tight.  Applying dielectric grease to these connections also helps prevent corrosion.

Verify all the lights work correctly, including the license plate light.  We always see the main lights, but those little out of the way ones get overlooked.

When was the last time the fork oil was replaced?

Check and replace the fluid in the rear shock preload reservoir, and inspect the hose.

When you check the air filter, put some screen over the intake horns to prevent the critters from making a nest out of your filter box.

How many miles on her?  A new set of spark plugs may not be a bad idea either.

Last, but certainly not least, find yourself a Honda Service manual.  They contain a wealth of useful information to make your life easier.

If the  maintenance records are available, I'd at least check some of the big things just to confirm they're good.

This may be overkill to a point, but when riding time rolls around, you'll know everything is good and be confident in your machine as you roll down the road.

If you're ever out this way visiting your SIL, drop me a line, I'm always up for a cup of coffee and a ride.  Good luck and good riding.  

• Like 1

1boardrider

Thank you guys!! Great input! Some of that sounds wayyy to in depth for me. I am no stranger to a wrench or an oil filter, but fork oil?? Pulling the drive unit?? This is my first Goldwing and I know I will get to know her well, but I may have to pace myself here!!LOL Do you guys suggest any certain manuals or maintenance videos or dvds that will help a guy that learns by doing it and seeing it?

Mountain Rider

The Fred Harmon DVD's are said to be the best around.  As for manuals, take a look on eBay or in the classifieds.  The Honda Shop Service manuals can be found quite often in those locations.   

• Like 1

Galaxyhunter
12 hours ago, OnaWingandaPrayer said:

Chris , Welcome to the Goldwing community. From the 75 1000 thru the current version they are amazing machines.

Has your bike seen regular riding , or has it been parked a good while?

Check the condition/date codes on the tires. 4 or 5 years old may have a lot of tread left but the rubber may be deteriorating.

Consider flushing out all the hydrualic fluids.....front/ rear brake systems and clutch system.

Look at brake pad wear.

If/when replacing rear tire pull the drive unit off and lubricate the drive shaft splines with Honda Moly lube .

Air filter ? 

I am sure others may have  thoughts on maint items I am missing. 

Get a set of "Speed Bleeders" for this.  It makes this job so easy.

• Like 1

1boardrider

I bought her from an individual and from what I can tell and see and from the maintenance records she was kept up well. Thank you all again for your help. Hopefully I will be able to contribute to the conversation more as I learn and grow in this community. See ya out there sometime!!

• Like 1

Parman

Chris,

The internet is your friend. You can go to You Tube and pull videos up on a lot of these maintenance procedures. just search what ever you are trying to do and there is a 99% chance you'll find it on a You Tube video.

Here is food for thought. Once you find the video on the procedure you want to perform if you have a lap top you can take it out to the workshop with you and review it as needed when your doing the work. I've done this on a couple of occasions. Especially the first time you try to replace the air filter. it is a process.

Don

• Like 1

terryj

Chris, welcome to the forum, here's hoping you have many miles of enjoyment on your new Wing. 

• Like 1

RogueWing936

Welcome to the forum...

• Like 1

pwhoever

As far as the Nav, unfortunately it is a bit limiting. The most recent official update is 2015.4 I think but that is actually 2014 maps so 5 years behind. The good news is that if you have a Garmin with lifetime maps, you can keep it updated to current maps. My 2007 has 2019.1 maps installed along with the 4.90 firmware.

The problem with doing this is that the Honda Navs for 2006-2008 use CompactFlash cards which are slowly also becoming obsolete and the Nav units have a 2 GB limitation. I am only able to have the lower 48 states on the card otherwise the Nav will be unable to read the card. I can always create a second card and put all of Canada and Alaska on that but the lower 48 has been enough for me for now. Physically you could get all of North America onto a 4 GB CF card but the Nav wont recognize it. Another limitation is that searching for POI's will be disabled/greyed out. However you can search for things as long as you use the address. Not a big deal for me because I always have my smart phone and can easily look up the address. And last thing that I remember is in the routing. When planning a route that is much longer than 4-500 miles, if you use the "Avoid highways" option, you may get the out of memory error. If you dont use the avoidances, you will probably be ok. Again, not a problem as most of my day trips will probably be 500 miles or under anyway. I have been using the "Avoid Highway" option a lot so then the following day, I just put in the days end destination and it works out just fine.

A little trick on planning routes, to get the route you want, waypoints help a lot. Ti properly use this, you have to program in the final destination first, then start adding stops. To do that correctly, you have to add the furthest stop first after the final destination and then keep adding the stops moving closer to you. If you try to add the close stops first, you will get completely frustrated and the routing will not work...

• Like 1

Scott in PA

Possibly one of the most important things to know: how to pick the sucker up!

• Like 1