Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Monkeytrucker

Hurting for a while

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

Third day in hospital,two major surgery in two days.  Doc said there well over 150 staples in the 30 plus inches he cut.  If it was not one nurse who ordered the doc to go back in I would not trying to type this. Have had 13 units of blood and some units of plasma. Very tired so this is going to be short

Galaxyhunter

150 Staples.  You must look like a human pincushion.:angel-praying-smiley-emoticon:

Mountain Rider

Gary, I'm glad to hear you're doing better, hang in there.  What did you do to piss the nurse off, or did the Doc leave his watch in  there?  :wink-sm:  You get to feeling better and we'll say a prayer or two here.  Estella, make him behave.  

OnaWingandaPrayer

Prayers said for a quick recovery. May the Lord bless you Gary, with his healing. 

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Nurses are fantastic.  In fact they saved me for the third time just this morning. I now have had at least 16 units of blood  and several units of plasma. Coming to with a room full of medical personnel,while being better than a having a sheet over one's head? Got lucky and a third surgery has been put on hold.

Once they get the bleeding stopped it looks like there will be a couple weeks of living in a rehab facility.  Went in for a same day surgery and things went to hell.

Estella is the real loser as her life is turned upside down.

Rampal1955

My prayers are going out to you and your family.

OnaWingandaPrayer

Yes, prayers for Estella and family/friends. Many times its more stressful to them than the patient.  God Bless and heal soon.

Monkeytrucker

Getting to rehab tomorrow we hope. Hopefully the transfusions are over. Thank you for the good thoughts.

Monkeytrucker

Had to miss our daughters 50th birthday party today. 

Finally got to walk today without a belt and 2 people hanging onto it. Still have 2 very active drains and a wound vac that has wheels and is my constant riend.  Not out of the woods yet on third surgery to find where the bleeding is. H and H numbers are dropping again.

We eat in a dining room and met 2 wing riders who were there to see a guy who works the Moonshine Lunch Run burger line. 

Mysticfour

What hospital are you in?

Monkeytrucker

I am in Good Samaritan hospital in Vincennes IN. Same

Have been transferred to rehab unit and we have a meeting Tuesday morning.  A nice young nurse spy told me I might get to go home Wednesday.  It will be with the wound not covered and 2 drains still in.

Like my room they put me in today. It has a living room, kitchen, bedroom,  and a laundry room. They call it a transition room. Good clue about going home. I know they have the visiting nurses ready to tend to the wound every day.

If I Had known a same day surgery would be a almost 2 week stay I  the hospital I might have not opted for the apron removal. Just the bad luck of a major bleeder. At least I can shoot someone leave a little blood and a DNA test would probably show a whole room full of people did it.

1boardrider

I hope you heal well and head home soon. Praying for you. I have had a couple of extended hospital stays and I feel for ya. Blessings!!

States Visited On Goldwing.jpg

Monkeytrucker

Have been home 2 days.  Nailed to my chair, the key to my shop hidden, and a certain lady making sure I am not messing with drains and picking at staples.  BORED to say the least.  But at least I am looking down at the snow on the ground and not up at it.  A friend in Germany said this was the worlds revenge for creating Frankentruck, they created Frankengary.  I think some staples became dislodged from laughing at that.

• Like 2

flylow

Good to see you are home.  With little activity in the near future, now is the time to get back on the forums and talk to us!  Hope you're up and about soon as spring is not far away and you still have a camper.  Take care, Gary.

• Like 1

1boardrider

Glad you are home. No bed like YOUR bed!! LOL Sounds like you better mind that lady!!! Heal well and follow orders!

Mountain Rider

Gary, glad to see you're home.  Do you need me to distract Estella so you can take a lap around the yard?  Seriously, we're keeping you in our prayers and hoping you're up and around soon.  Take care.  :thumbs-up:

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

They had to take the tubes out Monday, not what they wanted, so today being wireless I decided that I was going to the shop.  The Bride figured she was not going to stop me so she acquiesced.  I lasted long enough to make 2 skill saw cuts on some burned corrugated roofing for the art pieces I am making.  About 15 minutes in total.  Got one of those "Told You So!" looks from her.  When the removed the tubes they also removed about 60 staples.  Have to go back Wednesday and we figure they will remove a few more.

The part that was not mentioned is that after the surgery the boy bits looked like basketballs stuffed in a bag that was way too small.  Told the visiting nurse today that if she would bring me a bicycle I would jump the Grand Canyon.  Got a funny look until I told her we always said it would take a big set of balls to do some stunt like that.  Well, I could have jumped from St. Louis to Honolulu on a bike after surgery.  After about 5 minutes of uncontrolled laughter by the nurse, we got back to the work at hand.

Estella is getting hot under the collar because she says I am growing a large hematoma on the side that the drain was very active.  So I think the surgeon/butcher will get an ear full tomorrow.

Another funny thing was that when the extreme swelling happened I would use a pillowcase to hold the swelled parts up.  So they called Physical Therapy to come and put one of their expert slings on.  Well, it only divided the basketballs onto each end of the court.  So then they looked at how I had the pillowcase folded and made a quick trip back to their cave and cut up a pillowcase to mimic my pillowcase.  It lasted about 30' until we had a major fallout.  The next day Estella brought in a harness with a nice pouch that even had a way to tie across the front.  Nurses commented on it with approval.  The next day, knowing she does not sew anything without a pattern, I asked her what pattern she used.  She said "the Hobo bag" pattern she used to make nice gifts with candy in them at Christmas.  Told the nurses and the people in rehab what pattern she used and again roars of laughter.    

A real scary thing was the nurse when my world went blank and she revived me by calling a code, well she kept telling me that evening and the next day "I thought we lost you, I thought we lost you."  The last nurse who it happened on actually came and spent about a half hour AFTER she went off shift.  I asked her why my chest was so sore and she told me she/they had to do a sternum rub to get me to come back.  She must have had brass knuckles in her pocket.  Three times I woke up with a room full of nurses.  Funny thing is I do not remember anything but my eyes opening to that sight.

Something like that does not do any good to cry about so making jokes about it helped ease the pain.  Actually, the swelled bits were second in line on the pain scale.  Number one was where the nurse had to pull the tape off before the 2nd surgery and got several layers of skin.  That is scabbed over today like a bad case of road rash and still hurts as does my chest from the beating they gave me.

I got Estella to take some photos of the staples and swelling.  Have shown it to some nurses and they did not recognize what they were seeing.  We call the photo "my Garbage Pail Kid"  Do not ask me to post those photos as I might be stupid enough to do so.

• Surprise 1