Sign in to follow this  
Rampal1955

1999 A Champion Trike

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Rampal1955

I have a question about my new to me trike. I have a 1999A GL1500 with a champion trike conversion. I can only start the bike when the transmission is in neutral. Usually this isn't a problem unless I stall the bike at a light, then I have to find N to start. Is there any way I can bypass/fix this problem? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

roscoepc

Well, you COULD bypass the neutral switch but I wouldn't recommend it!! A silly question but, on my 1200 I can pull the clutch in and it'll crank in gear. That 1500 won't do that??

OnaWingandaPrayer

A 1500 should crank in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. If the lever pivot bushing is worn it may not be activating the micro switch....or the switch could itself be bad. (it's mounted under the lever) Unless trike manufacture makes a change to the system.?

Rampal1955

My 95SE, can start in gear with the clutch pulled in. I am beginning to think it is something that the champion dealer did in the install? Was just wondering if anyone else had encountered the problem. Will investigate the switch suggestion tomorrow. Thanks to all.

CrystalPistol

Put a new "clutch bushing" in the clutch lever, it's a small brass round thing with a recess to accept the clutch master cylinder push rod, takes maybe 10 minutes, but if worn the push rod will not activate the switch.