Sign in to follow this  
Pepe

Tire assistance

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Pepe

I don't think I'm a complete idiot, some may disagree though.  I have just got back into riding after a lengthy hiatus, and obviously things change.  I am looking at replacing my  rear tire.  My buddy seems to think it's worn.  Bike is in winter storage (north of 49) so won't be able to check for another couple of months. In the interim I have been looking at E4s or Bridgestones.  My PROBLEM is I am completely confused when it comes to the use of Radials and Bias or a mixture of both.    If you guys/gals could help this aging mind I would greatly appreciate it.  

OnaWingandaPrayer

Steve , Hello and welcome. Your 1500 is a wonderful machine . It was originally equipped with bias tires. I think that is only because radial bike tires were not the norm back in the day.

I have run radials on rear of my my 1500 with the bias on the front, because I was using an automotive tire on the rear. Then realized I could use the radial for an 1800 ( same size) on the front and made the switch when replacing a tire.  I never noticed any problems with mixed or both radials on the bike. 

I expect you will have more thoughts on this soon .

• Like 1

Pepe

Thanks Mike, your info has been very helpful.  When I get the girl out or the weather improves I will survey my situation and with the info I get I can make an informed decision. 

terryj
(edited)

The difference between bias and radial are that of construction and weight. Typically a radial tire will be lighter than a bias ply. As for the use and as to which to buy, it depends on the type of riding you are going to be doing. Seeing how your bike is a GL1500, I don't think you'll be doing to much off the asphalt riding, so a radial tire will work the best. Bias ply tires work better for Adventure Bikes and dirt bikes. As for me I ride on the Dunlop E4's after going though 2 sets of Bridgestones, I have about 7000 miles on the E4's and they show very little wear, my Bridgestones at 7000 miles show a bit of ware, they lasted me about 11,000 miles. 

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pepe

Thanks Terry.  The .ore personal info I get certainly aids in my decision making.   I am probably leaning to the E4's.  One of my riding bus had E4's on his 1800 and the were really  noisy.   He switched to  Bridgestones.  Also as a super senior I'm looking at the best I can get for the cheapest I can get.   I want comfort and good traction in wet conditions.  

terryj

Pepe, both the Bridgestones and the Dunpol E4's work well in the rain, as for the noise, when the E-4's start to wear down then they will get noisy. As with all tires it is important to operate the tire with it's proper air pressure, failure to do so may result in abnormal tire wear and noisy tires. 

Pepe

Thanks again Terry.  More useful information. 

OnaWingandaPrayer

What ever tire you choose be sure to check/fill the pressure on a regular basis. A lot of folks seem to feel 42psi is a good spot for tire life/ride quality. 

You might also consider balance beads which go inside the tire and constantly keep the tire balanced which adds to longer tire life. 

RogueWing936

What ever tire you choose first thing is verify weight capacity, it must support bike weight, stuff in the trunk weight and body weight. Next look at the tires manufacture date, don't get tries that are already 3 years old. As for the brand everyone has their preferences, mine is AVON Cobras for my GL1800. its no more right or wrong, its just what I like.