Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
Mountain Rider

Stepping into Winter projects

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

Now that the holidays are pretty much done, it's time to step into some things that need to be done.  The first is to get my Goldwing projects done.  I've got all the parts ready to go, I just need to get going .

The other is getting some education on another passion of mine, one that has been pushed aside for far to long.  February 16th I start some Photography classes bringing me into the 21st century and digital photography.  My Dad was a Combat Photographer during WW II.  We had a darkroom in the back of the house where we processed photos of people such as Gene Autry and his troop when they came to town, local celebrities and events, and did personalized Christmas cards.  Since color film didn't exist at the time, Dad would use oil paints to create color versions.  He was a true artist.  We learned to take pictures with Kodak Brownies and 4 X 5 Crown Graphics.  Later, it was Yashica and Minolta single and double lens reflexes.  Unfortunately I never aspired to levels that justified the Mamiya Sekor's or Hausiblad's.  Now, like my motorcycle riding, it's been too many years and the lessons of my youth have been long forgotten.  Fortunately, we have a world class photographer in town who has a nice little shop, and gives classes.  The one in February is actually a dual class, with a beginning and intermediate course in the morning and early afternoon, and a bonus class on landscapes later that afternoon.  That should give me a push in the right direction.  With so many opportunities in my part of the country, Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Park, Craters of the Moon, Crater Lake in Oregon, Glacier National Park in Montana, Olympic National Park in Washington, and the Mountains everywhere, I'll have plenty of opportunities to practice.

Since I'll be retired in March, and we plan on doing a lot of riding, I want to make some of our rides into photo journals of different trips around the State and the North West.  Always thought it would be fun to make my own coffee table book, something I could pass on to my kids and family.  Today, I pulled my Nikon out and started getting the batteries charged, as well as reading back through the manual so I don't look like a total noob.  Hopefully I can become proficient enough to share a pic or two with all of you, at least something better than I pop out on my phone.  

• Like 3

Monkeytrucker

Be careful.  The fumes of digital processing can get overpowering.  I think we still have our son's enlargers somewhere.  Have fun.

scraper

Oh to have the money to get back into doing my own pictures again. Been alone time back in 1986\7 i believe. It's so different to look at what the picture is suppose to be and put it on paper with meaning and have it tell a story of what you saw. Beauty.

Mountain Rider

I've always loved photography and am considering getting a printer and programs to edit from here.  I've got some 35mm underwater shots from the early 80's when I was stationed in Hawaii.  Those I want to have digitized so they're not lost to time.  Other photos from my time in Germany need to be saved to disk as well.  Years ago I had an enlarger, tanks, and trays to process my own pictures, but eventually let it all go because being in the military, I never seemed to have time or room to set it all up and make use of it.  Today, a couple good programs and a decent laser printer can produce some amazing photos, though you're right,  it still ain't cheap.

Greg, you're so right about telling a story.  Our world is changing so quickly that some of the natural wonders are disappearing  before our kids even get a chance to witness them.  One glacier I climbed when I was in Alaska, Portage, used to be within half a mile of the lodge.  It has since receded more than two miles and is no longer visible unless you take a boat tour across the lake to its face.  Mount St. Helens used to be 1300 feet taller and could be seen from my home town, along with Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams.  This will be an adventure for sure. 

scraper

Man some of the places you to On unckle Sam dime. 

I wish there was a way to convert my old Minolta 700 to digital. Took some pics with that thing. Outcome time loaded up and went into London. I was front row for the changing of the guards in the tower boat ride down the tymes river. I knew I was close to being done with the first roll. When I looked no film was in the camera. And it was one of those days the sun was out and a nice day alaround. 

Mountain Rider

Yeah, Uncle Sam runs quite the tour service, but he makes you work for the good parts.  In my little 20+ years I got to see Washington (of course I'm from there), Oklahoma, Texas, California,  Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, Germany, Austria, Japan, S. Korea and walked around the table in the MAG building in the DMZ to North Korea and back.  I've flown in planes and helicopters, I've climbed glaciers, gone Scuba diving in Texas and Hawaii, gone white water rafting, deep sea fishing, seen the Northern Lights at 40 below zero in the heart of Alaska, and driven the Alcan Hiway when it was still mostly gravel.  I even got to be a Fire Fighter during the Yellowstone forest fires in 1988.  I was stationed with and met people the likes of General George S. Patton Jr., General Norman Schwarzkopf, General William DePuy,  General Colin Powell, and Admiral Robert Long (then the CINCPAC ).

You missed shots for lack of film, I missed shots because packing a camera all the time just wasn't practical either due to size or logistics.  We miss a lot, something I'd like to correct, at least partially.  

All that aside, I see you're in Whitehouse, Ohio.  How close are you to Maumee and Toledo?  The wife is from Toledo originally and still has family there, but I've kept her secluded here in the wilds of Idaho.   

scraper

I work in Toledo and live in white house has to get out of the city. Grew up in the Bancroft & Reynolds area.

Mountain Rider

I got the photo classes out of the way, at least the first of a couple.  It pays to be a Vet, the first class was free due to my service, and the second went from $50 to $30.  Awesome instructors as well.  The head instructor is one of the best motivational speakers I've had the privilege to work with, ever.  And he does classes and symposiums all over the world.  If anyone is in the Yellowstone area this Summer, he's opening another shop in West Yellowstone.  You should stop in and take a look at his work, it's amazing.