Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
RIdgerunner

GL 1500 Charging Problem

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

RIdgerunner

Ok guys, I gotta new one for me. I have a ‘98 GL1500 SE. I was out of town for a week and when I got home I started my bike and it was not charging. I mounted a digital volt gauge so I could keep an eye on it because my wife and I take a lot of cross country rides. The gauge showed 11.2 on the battery when I turned the key on but when I started it the voltage fluctuated from that to 12.5 then back to 10.1 then 11.8 then it slowly dropped until the bike stalled. All of this at fast idle with the choke on. It typically runs at 13.8 to 14.0 at fast idle. I messed with it over the next couple days and it “fixed itself”? I checked it with a multimeter and it was almost dead on with my bike gauge. It has been fine for a couple weeks and now it’s doing it again. I checked voltage at the alternator (I know it should be removed and bench tested) and the voltage was very erratic from there too. Is my alt getting ready to give up the ghost? Anyone ever had this problem?

OnaWingandaPrayer

It may be time to replace the brushes or at the least clean out the carbon dust accumulation in the alternator.

Mother Honda made a change in alt. suppliers and the newer version is not as dependable as the older .  I dont recall what year the change was made :(

IF you remove the alt. , consider replacing the rubber drive cushions. With age/heat they stiffen up and are known to cause noises.

terryj

I agree with the above post, sounds like brushes. If this is an OEM alternator you might want to consider an aftermarket 85-90 amp unit. I've replaced a few of the OEM on GL 1500's here in the valley with the higher amp units and haven't had a problem with any of them. I use the DB Electrical 90 amp. You can find the Alternator here: https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/alternator-honda-gold-wing-gl1500-high-output-90-amp.html  Be sure to replace the Alternator Dampener you can find them here: https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_alternator_dampener_kit/4102/29165