Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Mountain Rider

Ah, being an RV tech! It's what I live for.

23 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider
(edited)

It's the little things that make my job so enjoyable. :confused-face-smiley-emoticon:

The customer told us he thought the squirrels had gotten into his trailer. What do you think?

And that's just from the front. 

20181103_150818.jpg

20181103_150906.jpg

20181103_114233.jpg

20181102_162647.jpg

20181103_154738.jpg

Edited by Mountain Rider
  • Surprise 1

Ghost Rider 2

I was RV tech and service manager for 15 years.   Retired and no way I miss that crap.

• Like 1

AZgl1800

it is scary about the squirrels, we have six acres and lots of the furry critters. 

we put out seed for them on the patio to keep them away from the Toy Hauler, which is setting on a concrete pad....

I have the front/bath area at the low end, so that the jack has to raise it up about 30 inches just to level it out....

so far, so good, with two winters.... I keep looking under it to see if they have tried to get in.

what type of underscreening to you suggest?  right now, it has the OEM's fiber material stuff, sort of look like fibreglass,

but it has a few holes in it from being 14 years old now.

AZgl1800

oh, yesterday's project was to replace the old frozen up auxiliary fuel pump that is meant for Motorcycles, chainsaws, etc.

got the pump mounted, but that big gasoline hose is crimped flat where the OEM mounted it to go around a 90 degree turn.

I decided to just remove that altogether, and use an 8 foot length of the same 3/8" gasoline fuel line as the output dispensing hose.

will need to find a shutoff valve for the end of that hose before I power it up.

all I want it for is to give me Pure Gas for the little Piaggio MP3 scooter when we are parked a long ways from any Pure Gas stations.

it is fed from the same fuel tank as the on board GenSet. just has its' own dedicated suction line.

tamathumper

I've been using 1/4" hardware cloth under all my sheds and RVs for years to keep out mice, chipmunks and squirrels.  The amount of damage they do is amazing.  But unlike many, I also employ active countermeasures, as I don't find them "cute".

Ghost Rider 2

So did you find this mess when you turned water heater to bypass ?  First thing I noticed was valve position.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

No, his complaint was the electrical outlets in the bedroom and slide weren't working. We had to clean all that out just to access the wiring. Still haven't found it all. 

John, as tamathumper said, best bet is 1/4" hardware cloth. In reality, I've found nothing to be 100%, they'll always find a spot if they're determined enough. 

• Like 1

Steed

I think the owner was correct.  Squirrels have gotten into his camper...

• Like 1

tamathumper
4 hours ago, Ghost Rider 2 said:

So did you find this mess when you turned water heater to bypass ?  First thing I noticed was valve position.

First thing I noticed was the moisture staining 6-8" up the studs and wall paneling, and I hoped it wasn't squirrel urine.

Mountain Rider

A bit of irony for you. This is the floor mat inside his RV door. 

20181108_104620.jpg

• Haha 2

Ghost Rider 2

the guy was probably feeding them ear corn and peanuts on his patio.

• Haha 1

AZgl1800

okay,

using the 1/4 inch hardware cloth, are you just using your big T-50 stapler to hold it up?

if so, that is going to be my next warm day outdoor project....

so far, crossed fingers, no squirrels in my Toy Hauler.

I did finish up the gasoline transfer pump though.

I removed that "gas station hose nozzle" stuff, way too bulky.

and just replaced it with six feet of regular 3/8 inch rated Fuel Line

too keep the bugs out of the end of the hose, I found an old spark plug and pushed that into the line.

works great,

Now, I want to install a Push Button to run the pump, so that I can release it and have the pump stop.

as of now, it has a Timer to control power to the pump.  that was great I guess when the nozzle was on the hose.

or, I suppose, I could just buy a 1/4 turn valve and put that on the end of the hose.

I like the spark plug idea, and let the fuel drain out of that line before inserting the spark plug.

• Yay 1

Monkeytrucker

Years ago at my Great Aunt's home they removed the stoves in the spring and put them back in the fall.  To cover the flue pipe opening they would put those spring loaded decorative block plates.  A family of flying squirrels took up residence in the chimney.  They made noises that made elderly Aunt Helen think her living room was haunted.  The source of the sounds made themselves well known when they pushed the block plate open and launched themselves and gliding down to the floor they climb the curtains and glide again.  

She had to call a kid who lived down at the bottom of the big hill to come and catch them.  Being the ancestral cemetery is the only other thing on top of the ridge hill above the Wabash river she was sure it was her Mother or Father trying to tell her something.

When I say it was a hill I mean that the road up the hill was steep and long enough that the old Ford T's and A's had to back up the hill because the gravity feed fuel system would starve the carburetor before they got to the top if the tank was not full.  There were Indian burial mounds across the lane from the house but they had mostly been robbed years before.  Great Uncle Felix found a Navy Dragoon (that was what he said it was) pistol stuck in a tree fork.  He sawed it out and put it on his bookcase.  It was very rusty and when we would go there for a visit when I was a kid I used to pick it up and feel the weight of it.  I asked my dad's cousin who was only a year older than me what happened to the pistol but she did not know what her mother did with it.

tamathumper
2 hours ago, AZgl1800 said:

okay,

using the 1/4 inch hardware cloth, are you just using your big T-50 stapler to hold it up?

if so, that is going to be my next warm day outdoor project....

so far, crossed fingers, no squirrels in my Toy Hauler.

I did finish up the gasoline transfer pump though.

I removed that "gas station hose nozzle" stuff, way too bulky.

and just replaced it with six feet of regular 3/8 inch rated Fuel Line

too keep the bugs out of the end of the hose, I found an old spark plug and pushed that into the line.

works great,

Now, I want to install a Push Button to run the pump, so that I can release it and have the pump stop.

as of now, it has a Timer to control power to the pump.  that was great I guess when the nozzle was on the hose.

or, I suppose, I could just buy a 1/4 turn valve and put that on the end of the hose.

I like the spark plug idea, and let the fuel drain out of that line before inserting the spark plug.

For hardware cloth I use electrical staples to hold it up - the small rounded "V" shaped ones work just fine.  It's too heavy and stiff to use the T-50 staples, especially if you're hanging it upside down like on the bottom of an RV.

Mountain Rider

Yeah, the T25 Staples work well or screws with washers are a bit more secure. Stuff steel wool in any openings. 

Ghost Rider 2

As far as removing nozzle and just using hose.  What going to stop it from  syphoning  right out of tank.  Those heavy hoses and nozzles are a major safety on toy haulers. Hauling fuel around is dangerous enough.

Mountain Rider

The other thing on the timer. It's actually there to prevent the neighbors from helping themselves after you depart. Also, as Gary found out, a ground strap is a good thing to have. The heavy hose and nozzle are more to stop the flow of fuel should a fire start and you have to drop the hose and run. An open hose tends to feed the fire. 

AZgl1800
17 hours ago, Ghost Rider 2 said:

As far as removing nozzle and just using hose.  What going to stop it from  syphoning  right out of tank.  Those heavy hoses and nozzles are a major safety on toy haulers. Hauling fuel around is dangerous enough.

that fuel tank is the Factory Tank for the onboard 3.5 KVA Generac GenSet.

The hose can't siphon as the end of it has a Spark Plug jammed into it tight.

I am going to replace that with a 1/4 turn valve on my next trip to town.

The timer is going to remain a permanent fixture, it is hidden out of the way, out of sight and installed in a proper sealed box.

the Door to access the hose and timer has a key lock, and that will remain locked when I am not using it.

the vendor built a very heavy frame box of 1-1/2 inch square tubing around that box, and used very heavy expanded metal for the floor of it to allow it to vent.

got a pix of the new pump with my good camera

Fuel Pump RV.jpg

roscoepc

Boy that looks like an OEM set-up John!! Where'd you find the pump?? :confused-face-still: 

AZgl1800
25 minutes ago, roscoepc said:

Boy that looks like an OEM set-up John!! Where'd you find the pump?? :confused-face-still: 

got it off the internet, it is a Carter, and is the identical pump that was on the trailer.

did not know that until I got the old one off and into my hands.

https://www.amazon.com/Carter-P4070-Line-Electric-Fuel/dp/B000CIQ5DG

took the old one apart and looked inside, it has a circular vanes that slide out when powered up, the slide back into the center when stopped.  so it has to have a safety valve, or gas could siphon out.

AZgl1800

they have a bigger pump at 110 gph and more than double the money....

I said nah! this one is just fine.

roscoepc
3 hours ago, AZgl1800 said:
3 hours ago, roscoepc said:

got it off the internet, it is a Carter, and is the identical pump that was on the trailer.

did not know that until I got the old one off and into my hands.

https://www.amazon.com/Carter-P4070-Line-Electric-Fuel/dp/B000CIQ5DG

took the old one apart and looked inside, it has a circular vanes that slide out when powered up, the slide back into the center when stopped.  so it has to have a safety valve, or gas could siphon out.

Just joking John.. I was the one who found it for you.. :roflmao::roflmao:

• Haha 1

AZgl1800

you gotta 'member I dun got dunlop disease, dun lost alla muh membry...  😉