Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Pepe

Heel and Toe

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Pepe

Curious/thoughts on a heel and toe shifters.   

brianinpa

You either love them or hate them... I am in the love them category.  The floorboards give me about two to three more inches of leg room.  Getting accustomed to them at first was weird, but once that wore off I haven't had any problems.  Now I have the 84 Standard configured with out the boards and heel/toe shifter and the 87 has them.  I have to remember which bike I am riding and shift it the right way.

Bluthundr31

All of the "work" bikes I rode had them so I swear by them.  As Brian said though, you either HATE em, or you LOVE em.  There's no wrong answer here, , , only "personal preference".

Hodgy

I have it on my 97' SE and love it, matter of preference. 

Pepe

Thanks for your input.  I had heard that they were hard on the tyranny.  No mention here, so must be a non issue.👍

Mountain Rider

Hated them on the 86 Aspy and went back to pegs. On the 1800, Love'em.  The trany problem you've heard about is the shifter shaft seal leaking because some folks ride with their foot on the shift lever. If it's not a quality unit, they can twist, prying on the shifter shaft and ovaling out the seal. Beyond that, as others have said, it's a love hate relation. The one upside is you stop wearing out the toe of your left riding boot. :SmileyTooth:

scraper

Didn't like the fact you have to pick up your foot to hit the brake. So they went after the first get off. But I liked them.

OnaWingandaPrayer

Not a fan .They came off my 1500 the day I rode it home. Give it a try you may like them.

yooperfan

When I moved up from my 1200 LTD to the 1800, I didn't shift very smooth.  MrsY even commented about how jerky the shifts were and said I needed to do something about it.  The H/T shifter had to go.  You can't teach an old dog new tricks.  I have ridden M/Cs for a lot of years, with a normal toe shifter.  The heel shifter was more than I wanted to master, so it was a HATE IT feeling for me.

Mortimerr

I had them installed on my GL1800 - no floorboards, just the heel-toe shifter with the OEM pegs. I felt that it gave me a more positive upshift, and if you're wearing boots you don't have to contort your foot to get the toe of the boot under the shift lever. Kuryakyn makes one that does not require floorboards (https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/299/heel-toe-shifter).

About the only negative I had with it was that it moves your left foot peg out a little bit, and I found it was easier to drag the left foot peg easier than the right.

Pepe

Interesting concept Mortimerr.  Always nice to see new things.

Jluvs2dive

As stated, personal preference.  I hated them on my 86 Aspy, except for the rain protection of the boards.  My feet stayed dryer with the boards.  Everything else about them I hated.  I was told to leave them on for awhile and I'd fall in love with them.  The longer I rode with them the more I hated them.  I was a happy camper when I found some pegs for it and I assume the guy that bought my boards was happy with them too. 🙂

John