Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
Steed

A beautiful sunny morning.

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

Steed

Good morning to all on this glorious October morning.  Too bad it's only 40* outside.  We haven't seen our first snow yet and I'm anxiously awaiting some Spring-like weather.  I guess it's time to start clearing a path to my cave and stock up on supplies to help get me thru the off season.  Don't really know how "Dusty" does this every year...

Monkeytrucker
8 hours ago, Steed said:

Good morning to all on this glorious October morning.  Too bad it's only 40* outside.  We haven't seen our first snow yet and I'm anxiously awaiting some Spring-like weather.  I guess it's time to start clearing a path to my cave and stock up on supplies to help get me thru the off season.  Don't really know how "Dusty" does this every year...

Near Waterloo, IL there are a set of caves that was owned by the State of IL but the old man who the state used eminent domain or some legal thing was allowed to live his life out there.  Armine was a character.  He had numerous old cars sitting around the place, a big barn he had sawed in half and moved.  There were a couple of late 30s trucks the he hauled stuff for other people.  He had them jacked up and started them every couple months.  There were some neat cars in his junk car yard.  There was a big 2 story house with holes in the roof you could land helicopters thru.  He had a little spot where he had his bed, no heat.  When it got cold he would go down into the cave and sleep as it was much warmer than the house.  

The Chicago spelunking club was working on mapping the cave and there was much more to go.  They made sure Armine was treated well.  Estella and I used to get some sliced ham, French bread and spicy mustard and take it to him on special occasions.  One day he suddenly came into my mind and that evening I made up an Armine, Keeper of the Cave, which was what he was called.  We stopped on the way home from work and had several copies of the photo with the writing on it.  We went to the cave and at the little building where the state caretaker logged everyone into the cave and out was on duty.  I went in and said I made these for Armine, could you give them to him.  The lady said  "Armine died yesterday"  Talk about scary, why did I suddenly think of him yesterday.  He wanted to be cremated and his ashes spread at the cave but his only relative had him buried in a cemetery.