Sign in to follow this  
Monkeytrucker

mouse damage from IL M&G

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

At the IL M&G we stored the tonnoue cover under the flip out.  Well a mouse decided to build a nest inside the cover and chewed a hole thru the cover.  Luckily it was on the side portion.  So when we went camping this weekend I simply duct taped the hole over.  I think I will write on the tape with a marker

If you cannot fix it with duct tape, you are not trying hard enough

"Red Green"

If the women do not find you handsome, they will find you handy

"Red Green"

• Haha 1
  • Yay 1

Galaxyhunter

I have found that the "Gorilla Tape"  is the stickiest tape around.  Yes, it is very expensive but well worth the coin. 

Monkeytrucker

We have a roll of Gorilla tape in white.  Have used it to reinforce spots where the over 6 months of the Aspen being slept in and put up and down have tended to start making tension spots in the band just below the top.  Makes a good fix and does not look too much out of place.

The weather this fall has been a bummer as it has rained almost every weekend we have not been already scheduled to do something else

As for the mouse damage, I am thinking about taking the cover to a canvas shop and have them replace the sides of the cover and add maybe 2-4 inches more depth so we could put more on top of the tent when it is folded.  We now put the extra pads (1.5" memory foam and our artic grade sleeping bag we use as more padding and insulation when we are in weather in the teens.  

When we go to our sons house we take the camper as we find in more comfortable to sleep in than their guest room.  We actually sleep better in the camper than any hotel we have stayed in.  Of course when in Rockford, IL and being on a major traffic street and all of the sirens of police cars going by at 100 mph at night is different than being out here in the country where the only noise is coyotes, deer nosing around, and other critters that city people miss hearing.  Estella has been trapping possums, and raccoons on the back deck.  We relocate them about 3 miles away with a spot of spray paint on their backs to see if we have any return visitors.  Raccoons are fun to release.  I take them to a bridge over a small creek about 12' down.  When you open the trap they launch out like a rocket.  It is funny to see them have that "OH CRAP!!" action and spread out as flat as they can before hitting the water.  I swear they can actually run on the surface of the water because they make the 6 foot distance to dry land without sinking. 

mailman01

Funny you should have mouse damage....we were in our Aspen Classic up in Iowa a year or so ago and I did the same with my cover as you...thinking it would be safe...When putting it on the next morning I noticed a hole about 3" across right on the top....On the way out I headed to Walmart and picked some vinyl repair stuff that was color matched to the gray of the top...got it patched up pretty well and barely noticeable...would not have been it such a tizzy to make the repairs but we still had more than a week before coming home...Getting in the car when leaving the campground I saw another mouse that looked like it weighed at least a pound...lol..healthy one...bought traps of all sorts, but never saw him again...wife was very careful looking anyplace in the car...almost panic stricken it would be in the glovebox when she opened it.  Anyway...mice like campers.