Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
roscoepc

First Week....

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

roscoepc

Week One is Complete...

My name is Loki and I have successfully worked my way into the Good Graces of the 2 Peoples who live in this house I was left at.. The Food is Great, Water is allway's there when I want some and there is PLENTY of room in the house to take a dump if I need to!! Although the Lady here seems to get excited when I leave her too many presents lying around, the Guy here seems to be pretty Cool about it, just hollering out something about: "MARGUERITE!!! HERE'S SOME MORE DAM SUGAR FOR YA!!!"... :blink:

I think I'll start going outside more...…. :59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM:

Cat's.... This place is LOADED with Cat's!!!! I've figured out that there is three that I'm not supposed to mess with but I believe that anything that shows up in the yard if Fair Game!! Once I find some hiding places it's gonna be Ambush City!!!! :roflmao:

A busy day is planned for tomorrow as I HAVE to figure out something about these cat's and all the people and Booger's I keep seeing and hearing out by the driveway... So it's time for some shuteye.

Further updates will be made......

BTW, Did I mention the Food??? These Idiot's leave it out ALL THE TIME!!!!!! :blink: :blink: ;)

100_1786 resize.jpg

• Like 2

Mountain Rider

That's a cutie there!  :thumbs-up:

roscoepc

Yeah!! Almost too Cute!!!!! :59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM: He's almost 3 months so I think he's gonna be a Bigun'!!!

OnaWingandaPrayer

Have you taken a second job? One little bowl of food isn't going to be enough. :)

• Haha 1

Monkeytrucker

You should get him trained to having only one bowl and at a set time.  Put it down and take it away in 10 minutes.  That way you will create a schedule he will quickly learn and will learn to eat when it is time and not just nibble all day and night.

Get a collar and a leash and start with obedience training.  First is to get him to set and then to heel.  put him on your left side and always start with you left foot (just like in the military) and tell him to heel.  Keep him in place on your left side.  Use a choke chain, not to hurt him but to correct firmly if he tries to leave his position while you are walking.  After a few corrections he will quickly learn to keep an eye out for your place and where he is supposed to be.  When you stop tell him to sit.  It really does not take all that much time to get him trained to heel and sit.  Then you move on to down.  use your hand where he can see it and move your flat hand down as you use your other hand to push him down.  Then you move on to down and stay.  just use a longer lead in this training and soon you will be able to put your hand down flat and he will lay down and when you hold your had up in the stop position he will stay.

He will learn quickly if you work with him every day.  When he does his daily exercises well in his training schedule then give him a treat.  A rubber ball or a tightly rolled up towel or one of those bone shaped rawhides.  A well mannered dog who is happy to please his owner is a happy dog.  He will be happy to do the things you teach him.  You can leave that shiny smooth choke chain on him but the best thing is have an every day collar and the working collar.  Bring out the working chain and he will come immediately to it and want to show you that he is ready to display his skills.  He will exercise you, and train you also.  And if anyone else wants to walk with him make sure they do it in the proper way.

How do I know this?  Easy, The Bride aka Estella taught dog obedience for one community college and for a university plus weekly sessions at parks and etc..  One memorable class had a great dane who basically had a log chain for a lead and a tea cup poodle who had a length of yarn for a lead.  It was the most comical thing watching them.  The little poodle had those short legs pumping very fast and the dane just walked normally.

Monkeytrucker

Our grand kids and their mother got our son a white German Shepard.  Cute puppy but now is topping 125 lbs.

roscoepc

I appreciate the advise Gary but you do realize this isn't my first Rodeo raising/teaching a pup?? ;)

As far as the food, I've been having food out 24/7 for my dogs for just about as long as I've been married, Almost 40 years now...:blink: A lot of people tell me that the dog will overeat and become fat and lazy.. Of all the dogs I've had only one got a bit heavy and that was not due to the food... At one time I had 3 Bluetick's and 2 Rottweilers. They would go through a 40lb bag of Diamond dog food in 2-3 weeks or so, even during hunting season when my 'tick's would come home skinny as a rail on Sunday night and be Fat, Sassy and ready to roll the next Saturday morning!!!! And 2 of the Bluetick's were female and Spayed!! :59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM:

And what you've described for training is quite actually close to what I do except leash training is last and I don't use a choke chain... I've found that my voice, using the proper tone and volume, is more than enough to get my point across!!  No need at all for a switch or a belt.. I wish Miss Estella could've seen me put Sinbad, our Rottie, through what I taught him: sit, stay, gittem, back off, hold him, Etc... And I could tell that dog to sit/stay, put a hotdog at his feet, walk out of the room and he would NOT touch that hotdog until I gave him the command.... ;)

Sinbad's collar has a place of Honor on the shift lever on my Tundra as he always loved to go for a ride with me...….

Monkeytrucker

Hey Don, a certain someone saw the photo and started telling you (with myself in between and you not present) so I figured it was safer on my end to post that and maybe have some peace and quiet.  But it was still funny to watch the dane and tea cup.

So now that my household interpreter duties done I am safe.

Enjoy the pooch.  We have the ashes of my last two dogs sitting on the sewing cabinet in the living room.  She says she is going to mix their ashes with mine and spread the three of us on the place.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Thanks 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,