Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
Mountain Rider

Looking to next year

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

This years trip to Washington was a huge success, so we've decided to do two next year.  We've been invited to join my brother and his friends for the 2019 "Couples Ride" to Orofino, after which we're looking to visit some other places in Washington, like Leavenworth and Olympic National Park.  Leslie really wants to visit Mt. Rushmore, so we're considering a trip that direction with a stop at Devils Tower.  Now we start the planning.  :59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM:  

pwhoever

On the way to Mt Rushmore, you will find plenty to see. I can only comment on heading west as far as Yellowstone but Parman or Dusty Boots can give more details. Outside of Yellowstone, make sure to check out Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Highway. Big Horn mountains were pretty impressive and you will pass through them on the way to Devils Tower. Went down Rt 14 on way west and Rt 16 on way back east. Around Mt Rushmore, there is plenty to see. Make sure to ride Needles Highway and 16A Iron Mountain road. Visit Custer State Park, both loops. Lots of wildlife including Bison roaming free. Crazy Horse memorial was interesting but even though they have made progress, I dont see how it will ever get finished. Dont forget to make it to the Badlands along with an afternoon in Downtown Wall, SD. Be careful if you go from Badlands to Wall. There is at least one road that suddenly goes from pavement to gravel with no warning. I was told about it from another couple who accidentally ran down it but luckily I didnt experience it. And also Sturgis was cool to see when the rally wasn't happening. Then there's Spearfish and Deadwood. Unless you set aside a couple weeks, you may not get to see everything. And even if you do have the time, there really is a lot to take in. In western SD, it was really hot especially end of July, beginning of Aug which is when I was there. They are also known for pretty strong, quick afternoon thunderstorms that will sometimes drop hail on you and there isn't a lot of places to stop to get out of it. You will enjoy that trip.

Mountain Rider

Good suggestions, Mike.  I've been to Wall and a couple of the other locations you mention, but it's been years ago.  I've been doing some searching for trailers and looking at upgrading our camping gear, new tent, sleeping bags, air bed, and the like.  If I can put the money together, we may even look for something like an Aspen, although a simple trailer that can carry regular camping stuff and have room for some extra cargo might be the better choice.  We'll see. 

The "Couples ride" is generally the end of August, so if we head East, it'll be earlier in the Summer.  We've got friends in Sioux Falls, so we need to get in touch with them and kind of coordinate a time frame.  That will kinda determine our time frame.