Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
us385south

1982 GL1100 Starter

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

us385south

Okay everybody.... after much ado and a complete engine out rebuild, I finally have Scruffy's engine back in place, the ignition installed, the radiator and the wiring harness back in place with a new solenoid and a battery.

I decided I wanted to crank on the engine a bit before I mounted my home made single carb and manifold.  felt like I needed to make sure everything was free moving and try to pump some oil up into the engine before proceeding.

Danged clutch starter is slipping... cannot get it to engage for love or money.  Any suggestions... magic tricks... specialize prayers?

brianinpa

Ouch... "complete engine out rebuild"  Does that mean you rebuilt the starter clutch as well? 

• Like 1

us385south

Thanks for answering Brian... I did not tear down the engine because I knew it was good and it had relatively few miles.  BUT... I did tear down the entire rest of the bike.  I mean the whole danged thing right down to the very last o-ring.  The good news is that during my trial startup BEFORE the tear down I had issues with the clutch... so when the engine was out... I pulled the rear case and rebuilt it with OEM parts from Cyclemax.  Then I put it back togther and due to circumstances out of my control it has sat, unstarted, for about four years.  I REALLY, REALLY do not want to pull the engine out again... I just got this thing back together again.

roscoepc

Travis, I don't know much about an 1100 but shouldn't you be able to pull the starter without yanking the engine?? Also, is the battery fully charged?? You might try jumping it from a car battery to get the starter to spin a bit faster.

us385south

Thanks for you help... but the clutches on the 1100s were sort of funky in that they were connected to the clutch by a chain... it is impossible to get at them without pulling the engine...

• Sad 1

brianinpa

So the starter clutch is brand new but it has sat for a few years... makes me think maybe those rollers might be slightly rusted in place or just stuck and the clutch is not engaging.  Did you have any luck yet?  You may want to try to bump start it  and let the motor warm up, but beings that it is the first start in a long while, that may take quite a bit of convincing.  You know what the other option is, and it isn't pretty nor fun... pull the motor and open it up.