Sign in to follow this  
Mountain Rider

Pivoting hitch, necessary or just nice to have?

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a trailer, nothing fancy, but just what I need for the essentials. Is a pivoting hitch a must have?  

DougW

No

brianinpa

I think they are nothing more than a gimmick.  There is more than enough clearance on a standard hitch ball to enable any turn that is necessary while riding.

Dusty Boots

Nay!

Trebor1978

Good investment even if for piece of mind.  I will not pull a trailer on 2 wheels - seems to defeat the purpose for me.  Do plan on a trike soon and a trailer will be behind that.  No need for a swivel hitch on a trike, though.

Ghost Rider 2

A swivel hitch may not be considered nessesary, but it can save your trip. Friend of mine was on a long trip with couple other people one in the group dropped his bike at a gas station trailer hooked to bike and no swivel hitch. It bent the rear of bike up pretty bad saddle bag frame got twisted tore up one of the saddle bags bent the front tube on trailer. Basicly left him unable to ride.  It is a great safety feature.  I agree if pulling a trike it is no nessasary but on a 2 wheel bike I would not pull without one.   I did have my bike fall over in a rest area once, I was not even on bike kick stand sunk in and over it went.  No damage to bike or trailer picked it up and on down the road.  I was 500 miles from home would have been a mess with bent up bike.

Ghost Rider 2

almost forgot the one on my trailer came from Neosho  trailers best I remember the painted one is under $100.  Chrome of course is little more.

Mountain Rider

Thanks so much for this info.  Everything I looked at concerned riding down the road, I never even considered the effect of a tip over while setting still.  Of course our bikes never tip over.  ;)