Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
wiindjammer

TPMS??

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

wiindjammer

Just had a flat the other day. Slow leak and a gradual decrease on busy hi-way made me think its time for a TPMS.. But where to start? There are so many options, internal. external monitors, handle bar or key fob display., I phone sync. Does anyone have any advice???

tamathumper

FOBO is the most popular from what I read, but I still just use the color-coded caps, which admittedly are no good in motion.

• Like 1

AZgl1800

FOBO requires you have your cellphone ready to hand, that is a no no for me.

I bought a TPMS that has a keychain FOB to go with it.

when I get ready to ride, I turn it on, and check the pressures, then turn it off.

if I am on an all day ride,  then I check it once in a while to verify all is well,

or, you can leave it on for the trip and hope to remember to turn it off.

I am thinking about buying another one for the truck and toy Hauler....

I sure would hate to blow out a tire on the Toy Hauler because it picked up a nail and a slow leak occurred.

Those tires are super expensive being 10 ply E rated.

• Like 1

AZgl1800

Looking for High Pressure TPMS units, and for multi-axle vehicles, it seems that FOBO is the best there is.

they have an "Ultra Model" that includes a Repeater in the cab of the truck, that will give an audible alarm if a tire looses pressure.

it also serves as a Repeater so that a Smartphone can monitor the tire pressures.

https://my-fobo.com/uploads/foboultra/FOBOUltraUserManualVersion1.9.pdf

https://my-fobo.com/Product/FBULTRA#user+manual%2ftutorial

• Like 1

OnaWingandaPrayer

I have been using the Doran system for a number of years.  The sensor can be mounted internally or externally .  The one I use can monitor up to 4 tires. It comes with a weather proof display which you can adjust the set points. It has an audible alarm and a red LED . At the push of a button you can read the pressure. It comes with metal valve stems . I dont recall If you specify straight or curved . I used the curved ones on my 1500 and mounted the sensor internal. Thats a little agravating because when the battery ( not replaceable ) fails , you have break the bead on at least one side to replace. On my 1800 I am using straight valve stems and mounting external, though I think internal adds a degree of safety .  The sensor does come with a setscrew lock to keep it from loosening.

There are only two things I would like to change. Replaceable batteries and possibly adding temp sensing. 

Lots of options . Research and choose what suits you best.

• Like 1

AZgl1800

On my 1800,

I opted to use the external caps on the existing valve stems simply because of the need to replace the batteries will occur before the tires are worn out.

on my bike, I am good to go with the simple 2 tire monitor.

for my RV trailer, I think I will go with the 6 wheel FOBO monitor, also with the external valve stem caps.

But, since the trailer has 10 ply tires, and they have an Unlimited Tire Wear Road Hazard warranty.....

is it worth it, to spend a lot of money on a TPMS for the RV?

I use my Digital tire pressure gauge before each trip to ensure they are at 85#

for me, the biggest hazard is probably me getting to close to the right edge of the pavement and letting the RV tires hit some jagged pavement edges.... that could ruin my whole day.

and, with a little tiny trip from Oologah, to Homosassa, FL and to the Carolinas coming up next March, my shoulders might feel less tense if I could check the RV tire pressures on the roll...

Mysticfour

I have the 2 tire cap and it shows temp and pressure. I wanted 1 and my son bought for me for fathers day

• Like 1

youngnbald

I am a tight A$$.  I bought the expensive type that had the key fob.  The fob wasn't water proof and didn't take long for that to go bad.  Never again.  Now I have this cheap one and love it.  I have a ram mount on my bars and this is mounted to it.  One year on the first charge!!!!!  Going strong yet today.

https://www.amazon.com/Monitoring-monitoring-Motorcycle-Waterproof-Two-Wheeled/dp/B076KKYDRQ?keywords=motorcycle+tpms&qid=1537148654&sr=8-4&ref=sr_1_4

AZgl1800
1 hour ago, youngnbald said:

I am a tight A$$.  I bought the expensive type that had the key fob.  The fob wasn't water proof and didn't take long for that to go bad.  Never again.  Now I have this cheap one and love it.  I have a ram mount on my bars and this is mounted to it.  One year on the first charge!!!!!  Going strong yet today.

https://www.amazon.com/Monitoring-monitoring-Motorcycle-Waterproof-Two-Wheeled/dp/B076KKYDRQ?keywords=motorcycle+tpms&qid=1537148654&sr=8-4&ref=sr_1_4

Hmmmm,

I could buy two of those for the RV trailer for less money than a FOBO,

I really don't think I need TPMS for the Suburban, I can sense a low tire on a vehicle I am driving pretty quick.... it changes the handling of it fast.

but for the trailer? you won't know a tire is loosing air until you see the smoke in the rear view mirrors.

and it says they can measure 85 psi easily.

Pressure range: 0-8Bar (0-116PSI)

EDIT:  well, that won't work , it does not transmit far enough.

plainly says not for RV trailers.

so, more research and found this, can monitor up 26 tires!

and it can reach out to 53 feet in proven Review Reports.

https://www.amazon.com/EEZ-RV-PRODUCTS-Pressure-Monitoring/dp/B009BE069Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537152317&sr=8-3&keywords=tire+pressure+monitoring+system+for+travel+trailers#customerReviews

AZgl1800

540 positive reviews

and 180 negative reviews...

hmmmm. gonna sit on this idea.

youngnbald

This is what I have in my old car and another on the 27' camper.  Never had issues and over a year use on the car.  Months now with camper and does great.

https://www.amazon.com/YOKARO-Wireless-Pressure-Monitoring-Vehicles/dp/B077FSJVZD?crid=2UQM3OGX05BVU&keywords=yokaro+tpms&qid=1537173120&sprefix=yokaro%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-2-fkmrnull&ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2

tamathumper

More and more, I use ReviewMeta.com to test the integrity of Amazon reviews.

Here's the data on that 53' TPMS.  Fifty five of the reviewers have had one or more review deleted, which is sketchy, but the overall rating still holds up.

https://reviewmeta.com/amazon/B009BE069Q

Edited by tamathumper