Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Mountain Rider

Lessons learned from a long trip

21 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider
(edited)

I learned a few things on our trip. I need road pegs!  I need a trailer!  I packed (Leslie packed) way to much stuff in way to many bags. When you over pack bags, there's no room for all the stuff you buy, knowing you have no room for it. Dont let your wife shop, cause there's  no room in the bags.  Make sure the intercom buzz is completely fixed before you travel 1800 miles. Rethink the dark side when 400 miles of your trip is through sharp up and down hill Twisties. Don't rush to get somewhere, because no matter what you do, you'll be late anyway. And last but not least, riding over stripped asphalt sucks. :wink-sm:

oldmopars, I'm sorry we couldn't make it happen this trip, but there's always next year. 

Edited by Mountain Rider

roscoepc
1 hour ago, Mountain Rider said:

I need road pegs!  I need a trailer!

Christmas is on it's way..... :roflmao::roflmao:

Bluthundr31

I TOTALLY get the trailer  lesson, , , and the intercom buzz lesson, , , but the road pegs???  You have boards now, , ,and they were a problem???  I've ridden lots, , , not 1800 miles at once though, , ,and never had trouble with my boards.   What am I doing wrong?

BTW, , , glad to see you made it home safely and its good to have you back on the site. 

Mountain Rider

Thanks, glad to be back. There's nothing wrong with the boards, but after 8 hours of being in the saddle, being able to stretch the legs out is kinda nice. 

• Like 3

Monkeytrucker
8 hours ago, Mountain Rider said:

Thanks, glad to be back. There's nothing wrong with the boards, but during 8 hours of being in the saddle, being able to stretch the legs out is kinda nice. 

Yes pegs are nice.  Being able to stretch out just to change position some is great.  When we made our 8,000 mile trip in 2015 I would put my feet on the pegs and Estella would put her feet around me and hook them on my thighs.  Of course the half tank or 100 miles rule dictated stopping, getting off and at least walk around the bike 3-4 times.  That prevents those leg clots that can travel to the heart, lungs or brain causing major problems including death.  One should do it while traveling in a cage.  Even if you have to pull way off to the side of the road and simply walk 200'.

Glad you had a nice trip Dave.  What is that saying on here?  OH I REMEMBER NOW  "No photos, not true."  Pick out the great ones, especially if your lady is in them, and some not so great ones that you are in.... 

undefined

Mountain Rider

Gary, I posted pics in the trip thread for you. :SmileyTooth:

youngnbald

Just curious, why the issue with the darkside in twistees?  I have been darkside for awhile and did all my iron butt rides on the darkside.  A few videos even showing 55 in a 25 mph corner, one even had a strip of gravel I had to cross.  Tires held the whole time.  If you run them soft, they will feel squirrelly.

Mountain Rider

The ride wasn't squirrelly, but I had to work to keep her in the corner. There were a number of 25 mph horse shoe corners where she just felt like she wanted to stand back up and I was having to pull really hard on the bars to keep her down. I enjoy laying over on the corners, just not when the wife's feeling nervous and I'm fighting to keep the bike turning. Of course, this is the exception, not the rule, normally she's fine, but where we were the curves are non stop and I'm not racing. 

youngnbald

"Pulling hard to keep her down"?  I have heard people saying the bike wants to stand back up with a car tire, but I never experience that, or don't feel it.  It was slight different feeling with the change, but once onto it, I know no difference.  This might be crazy to say and you have ridden for years I am sure, but "pulling to keep her down" shouldn't be the case.  I am teaching my wife to ride and she is confused by saying "turn right to go left".  The physics of pushing the left handlebar forward will throw the bike to the left and you go left.  More PUSH more she goes down.  You are stronger to push, then to pull.  I have ridden hundreds of miles away just to find challenging roads.  I have done Snake, Dragon, Twisted Sisters, Devils Triangle, Diamond Back, and so many others in Tennessee and Arkansas.  Here is a video I shot on the Snake.  Never ran this road before and decided to film it.  You don't want to see how I run the road once I have experienced it!!!!

I have shown my wife the easy of holding a corner by taking her to Menards or somewhere with a huge lot.  With only one hand on the bar, I push the right hand forward and make a circle in the lot.  Push more and hold it.  Pushing more and more, I can scrape pegs and have the left hand over my head.  Car tire plants and gives a stable curve.  Locking the arm into position, I can circle over and over.....no energy, no exhaustion.  Would be curious if this helps any.

Trip

We always learn from our trips. I learn something new every trip I make. One thing I do is warn my wife that all purchased items will be shipped back to the house, not carried. 

Of course, when I was in South Dakota, I bought 4 coffee cups at Wall Drug and shipped them back home. When they arrived, they were all broken. Filed a claim with USPS, but no resolution as of this writing.

Life is a two-edged sword. LOL.

Mountain Rider

Hey, Mark

Yeah, I've got a mile or two under my belt, but I've discovered I can still learn a thing or two.  You can teach an old dog new tricks.  I'll give your practice tip a try.  Going through the corners we experienced, more of a cork screw than a horse shoe, I was pushing the bars hard to make my turns, but the feel the bike was giving me forced me to grab a hand full of grip and pull the other side as well to keep her down in the turn. I don't know of any other way to describe it, suffice it to say it worked but wasn't pleasant. Fortunately I have a few weeks of good riding weather left so I can play with some technique changes.  Thanks

• Like 1

youngnbald

I bought a cd that was Learn To Ride or some title like that.  Sold the cd, but I recall the guy was a cop or something that put this cd together.  It had a lot of slow maneuver techniques that made me curious to try.  I went to an open high school parking lot and practiced take offs without any throttle (it does work and taught clutch control and balance), holding a straight line while my wife walked next to me (Amazing how slow you can go and keep the bike up), and practice TIGHT slow speed turning.  I think I was to a 14' diameter circle in the parking lot.  I can do a U-turn in a parking lot between rows of parked cars!!!!!  Its been two years since I practiced this stuff, but I know I greatly improved my skills and literally throw the bike around under me.  A friend on a crotch rocket can't believe a Goldwing is a 900 lbs bike when he sees what I do.  The parking lot practice gave a confidence and control that is unreal.  To know how slow and deep that bike can lean on a car tire AND hold for three plus circles will blow your mind.  I didn't practice enough to have my body angle with the bike, but I could sit on the side of the seat, me sitting up straight and the bike at maximum angle (peg scrapping the whole circle).  Just to have throttle control, hearing the peg scratch different pitches and feeling the bike weight become next to nothing is an ungodly control of this bike!!!!!  The cd had distances to chalk out that police test on.  I was nailing it!!!!  The guy was using a Harley I recall.  Many people don't push to increase the skills, but slow speed practice did LOTS!!!!  I will say I am sharper now at high speed stuff do to knowing that bike feel, weight and control.  Give 'er a try or anyone reading this!!!!!  Your first circles in a parking lot can be the whole dang thing!  Push to keep going tighter and tighter.  I got it to 14' ft and confident I can wipe a U-turn in between parked cars at Walmart or other lots.  Never laid down the bike once!  I believe quick emergency moves are now sharper due to slow speed practice.  My wife rides on the bike in tight cornering and she feels the effect.  I tell her she is like water in a cup as I spin it over my head.  Not a drip will come out of the glass as long as you have the right speed going.  She is sucked into the seat and corners like nothing with me.  55 in a 25 did freak her out, but after a few times, she sits back and enjoys the ride too!

youngnbald

Did a quick google.  Ride Like A Pro is what the cd was!

Mountain Rider

Good info, thanks Mark.  :thumbs-up:

OnaWingandaPrayer

Have you adjusted the tire pressure used in the CT?  I  find higher pressure makes lean more difficult.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

That could be something to check.  I did up the pressure to 38 from 34.  Maybe I'll adjust that tomorrow and run through a couple turns near work.  Thanks, Mike.

OnaWingandaPrayer

38 may be OK one up and shorter trips. You have to consider pressure change with temperature.  I have found riding two up, pressure on my ROF ct can go up 6-8 PSI . If you have the same then your decent ride at 38 is going away as the temp/pressure rises. So you may find a lower start pressure rises to a good stable pressure after a few miles.

• Like 1

youngnbald
(edited)

Lower pressure causes heat.  I run my CT at 40-42 and love it.  If I get down to 36 the squirrelly feeling starts.  Many people have posted on forums about tire pressures with CT.  50 has been proven way too much.  I don't change pressures for any changes.  Two up, winter, etc.  I run 40-42.  38 in my front tire.  No cupping and balance beads in both.

This is cold tire pressure.  Yes, it will raise as you ride, but that is normal.  Don't start low.  I might see 48 or 49 on the tires with my TPMS.  That's fine.  Play with pressure, but its been proven lower isn't the direction to go.  I started at 34 and it sucked!

Edited by youngnbald
add more

Jluvs2dive

First I want to state that I really don't want to and won't get into a debate about the dark side, BTDT too many times already.  I know ALL of the reasons people say they go to the dark side and why they say it's superior to a motorcycle tire.  I'm fine with that and won't argue about it.  Ride what you like and I will too. 🙂

That said, I've ridden a dark side on my buddies 1800 and I hated it, and yes I know there are things that can be done to make it better, but I had to work to make it do what comes natural with a motorcycle tire. The thing that I find a little humorous is the constant threads I've seen on multiple forums and Facebook for many years where people are explaining how to tweak the pressures or choose just the right tire to make it perform more like a motorcycle tire. 🙂

John 

• Like 1

brianinpa
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:04 AM, Jluvs2dive said:

First I want to state that I really don't want to and won't get into a debate about the dark side, BTDT too many times already.  I know ALL of the reasons people say they go to the dark side and why they say it's superior to a motorcycle tire.  I'm fine with that and won't argue about it.  Ride what you like and I will too. 🙂

That said, I've ridden a dark side on my buddies 1800 and I hated it, and yes I know there are things that can be done to make it better, but I had to work to make it do what comes natural with a motorcycle tire. The thing that I find a little humorous is the constant threads I've seen on multiple forums and Facebook for many years where people are explaining how to tweak the pressures or choose just the right tire to make it perform more like a motorcycle tire. 🙂

John 

For the 1200, there are only a few tire options to choose from.  The one that's on my bike has been there for several years now and I have had no problems and didn't need to tweak anything to get it to perform as poorly as a motorcycle tire... oh well.

• Haha 1

dwsonar

I've used the USPS many times to lessen to load.