Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
HEYZEUS

Nice twisty roads

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

HEYZEUS

How many here actually ride the Goldwings on fun twisty backroads? I just bought a 2018 and did some of my fun roads. The bike did well. Had to go a little slower then my sportier machines but the bike could still be hustled. My dad was on his 2008 wing and he complained he was scraping his pegs and liked just cruising down the highway. I hate the freeway and avoid it like the plague. The super slab is boring. Yes this bike does it well but I prefer a road with more character. My newer wing never touched hard parts and I was moving at a much greater clip then my dear old dad. Two up at that. Is this a super slab only bike for most of you? 

Mountain Rider

I think you'll find many of us with the "older" wings, find they do both well. The 18 is a bit narrower and taller, so it will tend to be a little sportier and less prone to dragging the pegs. It's designed, I believe, to appeal to the younger generation as the older wings have been the staple for the more mature crowd for some time. A lot of the younger crowd, like yourself, have grown up with the sport bikes and the new 18 fills that niche for a touring bike that's built for the sport bike crowd. For me, it doesn't work because it's too tall, so it has to fit a certain group of people. Congrats on the 18. 

Bluthundr31

Sounds like you're enjoying the new 1800's, , congrats!!

So Cal has some GREAT rides for sure, , ,check out some of the local motorcycle clubs for tips on where their group likes to ride on the twistys.  Also check out some of the websites for good ideas of twisty rides or loops in your area.  I've authored stuff at motorcycleroads.com but I'm in No Cal, so our number of sunny days isn't quite as good as yours.  ENJOY THE RIDES!!!

tamathumper

Heck, I *live* on fun, twisty backroads.  It takes me an hour to get to the closest slab.

• Yay 1

roscoepc

If yer ever out east say near Bristol Tn. area give me a shout before you get there and I'll show you a few roads like the Snake which covers 3 mountains, and near Marion, Hwy 16, the Back of the Dragon.. Those 2 roads got plenty of "The Stuff"!!!;):59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM::59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

terryj

I stay off the Interstates as much as possible, the back roads in Oregon seem to be made for motorcycles. OR route 66 (Green Springs Hwy) is just a few miles from me and it is a great road for motorcycles, lots of twisties and yes lot of peg dragging. I could list many roads that are really enjoyable here in Oregon and in Northern California. 

Offcenter

I too avoid the interstates.

Northwestern New Jersey is a smorgasbord of tight twisty roads and I've ridden most of them, usually at a good clip!

AZgl1800

I have found that my ability to push it to the edge is pretty much gone now...

I am now backing off on the 90° turns marked 45 on a 65 road, to about 50....

went thru a bunch of them today, following some river roads here in Oklahoma.

The thought of doing a slide just is not very appealing anymore.

dwsonar

I've never been an aggressive rider, on any bike. When I scrape the pegs now, it startles me to the point of pulling back up out of reflex. The worst thing to do. 2 lane, 4 lane, depends on where I'm going, in a hurry or not, mood at  the time, etc.